The Student Room Group

Woman drops out of Cambridge STEM PhD to enter polygamous muslim marriage

Scroll to see replies

Maybe she just wants to be in a bisexual orgy
Original post by JindleBrey
Maybe she just wants to be in a bisexual orgy

Why did you start the sentence with maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see anything wrong with it per se. I wouldn't want to be in a polygamous marriage myself, but consenting adults should be allowed to if they wish to. Whilst I might not agree with her choice, ultimately, it is her life and she can do as she wishes.
"And yesterday it emerged that Nabilah, 35, is among thousands of Muslim women entering into such relationships, illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives."

Illegal by British law, but legal in Sharia, I'm not a big fan of Sharia trumping British law. Anyway, it's her life. If she wants to throw it away then let her.
It wouldn't be a problem if polygamy were legal but it isn't.
Original post by thunder_chunky
"And yesterday it emerged that Nabilah, 35, is among thousands of Muslim women entering into such relationships, illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives."

Illegal by British law, but legal in Sharia, I'm not a big fan of Sharia trumping British law. Anyway, it's her life. If she wants to throw it away then let her.

I agree. I would like to see individuals such as this charged with bigamy in accordance with British law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meh, it's her life. She can do whatever pleases her tbh.
if it's illegal, how did she get away with it?

tengentoppa
It wouldn't be a problem if polygamy were legal but it isn't.

miscounted_time
I agree. I would like to see individuals such as this charged with bigamy in accordance with British law

ScarletXxXRose
if it's illegal, how did she get away with it?

Sharia is not "trumping" British law in this instance. What she has done is not a crime. It just means that, as far as British law is concerned, her relationship with that man is not a marriage, but an unofficial relationship like any other. She can't go to a registry office and get an marriage certificate, with the legally binding rights and responsibilities that come with it, but she can still live with the man and have his children just like any other woman can.

Having a girlfriend or mistress on the side is completely legal according to British law, and officially that's all she is. But she's still entitled to have a ceremony, call herself "Mrs Philips" and tell all her friends and family that she's married if she so chooses.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Sharia is not "trumping" British law in this instance. What she has done is not a crime. It just means that, as far as British law is concerned, her relationship with that man is not a marriage, but an unofficial relationship like any other. Having a couple of girlfriends or mistresses on the side is completely legal according to British law.

She's still entitled to have a ceremony, call herself "Mrs Philips" and tell everyone that she's married if she so chooses.

Well when it says further down:

"Polygamy is illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives"

That somewhat suggests otherwise. If polygamy is illegal under British law then that should not be trumped or contradicted, least of all by any religious law or practices.
I actually don't care one way or another about the actual act of Polygamy or what this woman decides to do with her life, however my point is that I'm not crazy about religious based loopholes.

in your opinion
Well when it says further down:

"Polygamy is illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives"

That somewhat suggests otherwise.
If polygamy is illegal under British law then that should not be trumped or contradicted, least of all by any religious law or practices.
I actually don't care one way or another about the actual act of Polygamy or what this woman decides to do with her life, however my point is that I'm not crazy about religious based loopholes.

It's a bit misleading to say that polygamy is "illegal" in the UK. Having a polygamous relationship and calling it a "marriage" isn't going to get you put in prison. It just won't be legally recognised as a marriage, or confer any of the legal rights or responsibilities that come with it. (I suppose you might get punished if you fraudulently attempted to have two marriages registered though). What it should really say is that polygamous marriages are not recognised in the UK.

It's in the same way that, up until not very long ago, gay marriage wasn't recognised in the UK either. But that never stopped gay people from being in relationships, and nominally saying that they were married, even if officially there was no such thing as gay marriage.

Nobody is doing anything that is prohibited under British law. There is no trumping, contradicting or loop-holing going on. And people of any religion or no religion are free to do exactly the same thing. And so this is not a case of exceptions to the law being made for religious people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Nevermind her "marriage", I would die to go to Cambridge and she's throwing away the chance which many don't get :frown:
Original post by ChickenMadness
in your opinion

No **** Sherlock.

It's misleading to say that polygamy is "illegal" in the UK. What it should really say is that polygamous marriages are not recognised in the UK.

It's in the same way that, up until not very long ago, gay marriage wasn't recognised in the UK either. But that never stopped gay people from being in relationships, having relationships and nominally saying that they were married.

Nobody is doing anything that is prohibited under British law. There is no trumping, contradicting or loop-holing going on. Nor is this a religious thing; people of any religion or no religion are free to do exactly the same thing.

"Polygamous marriages may not be performed in the United Kingdom, and if a polygamous marriage is performed, the already-married person may be guilty of the crime of bigamy." That seems like a little more than simply not recognised.

From lower down in that article:

"Polygamy is illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives.

Polygamous marriages, largely confined to Muslim families, are only recognised in Britain if they took place in countries where they are legal.

There are believed to be as many as 20,000 Muslim polygamous marriages in Britain, with the number ever increasing.

For some women being involved in a polygamous marriage is fraught with problems.

Because polygamy is illegal, the relationships are not officially recognised and they therefore do not have the same rights as a normal wife, especially when it comes to divorce."

You say there is no trumping or loopholes and is not religious. But if Polygamy is actually illegal then it is a religious loophole used to trump or perhaps bypass British law. It's really as simple as that.
No **** Sherlock.

"Polygamous marriages may not be performed in the United Kingdom, and if a polygamous marriage is performed, the already-married person may be guilty of the crime of bigamy." That seems like a little more than simply not recognised.

"Polygamy is illegal in the UK but allowed under Sharia, which permits men to have four wives.

Polygamous marriages, largely confined to Muslim families, are only recognised in Britain if they took place in countries where they are legal.

There are believed to be as many as 20,000 Muslim polygamous marriages in Britain, with the number ever increasing.

For some women being involved in a polygamous marriage is fraught with problems.

Because polygamy is illegal, the relationships are not officially recognised and they therefore do not have the same rights as a normal wife, especially when it comes to divorce."

You say there is no trumping or loopholes and is not religious. But if Polygamy is actually illegal then it is a religious loophole used to trump or perhaps bypass British law. It's really as simple as that.

The link you have provided states that polygamous marriages may not be performed in the UK. A polygamous marriage has not been performed. No marriage registered, nor has a marriage certificate, nor have any marital rights or responsibilities been legally conferred.

What has happened is that, a married man has entered into a relationship with another woman, and he is now committing adultery with her. This is legal in the UK, no matter what set of religious beliefs you happen to subscribe to.
(edited 9 years ago)
The link you have provided states that polygamous marriages may not be performed in the UK. A polygamous marriage has not been performed. No marriage registered, nor has a marriage certificate, nor have any marital rights or responsibilities been legally conferred.

What has happened is that, a married man has entered into a relationship with another woman, and he is now committing adultery with her. This is legal, no matter what religion you happen to belong to.

The other quote I provided stated more than once that Polygamy is illegal, how about that.
By the way, doesn't Islam frown upon adultery? Or is that just when women do it?
The other quote I provided stated more than once that Polygamy is illegal, how about that.

As far as British law is concerned, polygamy is not happening. A married man has entered into a relationship with another woman, without registering it as an official marriage. This is legal. No crime has occurred.

By the way, doesn't Islam frown upon adultery? Or is that just when women do it?

Islam frowns upon (and punishes) adultery no matter who does it. But Islam does not consider this to be adultery.
(edited 9 years ago)
No **** Sherlock.

they are not married in the eyes of the British law. It is simply another case of a married man with a mistress. They have not had an official marriage ceremony nor legal registered one. They are simply calling each other husband and wife which they are in their eyes. If they taken the official route and went on to have a wedding ceremony as well as registration that would be illegal.

Learn the definition of legal marriage if you are going to argue on a point of law
i dont see anything wrong with it if they are two consenting adults who are not breaking the law as they did not get married legally. If we have married men with mistresses and girlfriends or gay people getting married or people just living together

Quick Reply

Latest