The Student Room Group

Ended up on the M25 by accident. Ask me anything.

So this is how our fairy tale goes.

I went to London Heathrow Airport to drop off my parents for their holiday. We went the usual way, through suburban areas, where the speed rarely goes above 40 mph.

I passed my driving test 3 years ago, but I only got insured a few months ago. So I was still getting used to the car, it's gears and it being a diesel.

While coming back from the airport, the sat nav told me to keep right. I stayed in the middle right lane, thinking I would get onto the A4 and come back home the way I went.

I ended up on the M4, which subsequently lead me onto the M25. This was probably my second time ever on a motorway, and my first time alone. Plus I had never worked the 6th gear in our family car.

So yeah, ask me anything...

I did survive and there isn't a scratch on the car, haha.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
dunno why people are so terrified of motorways, whilst I've nevr driven on one as I've not passed, where I live the A2 is effectivly a motorway, and I have no problem driving on it
Reply 2
Original post by stubear
dunno why people are so terrified of motorways, whilst I've nevr driven on one as I've not passed, where I live the A2 is effectivly a motorway, and I have no problem driving on it

At high speeds, a mistake is much more devastating. You will most likely die if someone goes seriously wrong at 70-80 mph.

Dual carriageways are reasonably like motorways but there still is a difference. Cruising at 50 is a lot different to cruising at 70. At 70 mph, you need a lot more time to react and need a bigger breaking distance.

Plus, I'd never used the 6th gear in my parents' car. So I ended up going 60 mph in 5th gear, revving to around 2000 rpm in a diesel. I could have put it in 6th, but I didn't want to be fiddling around with gears at 60 mph.

There are some real loonies though, I was doing 60 mph and these guys were literally flying past me. They must be doing close to 100 mph.
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you ever crashed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Excelebration
Have you ever crashed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but I have nearly a few times when learning to drive. But that was a different car. I have had to apply the emergency brake a few times, when people pull out without looking.
Reply 5
Bump.
Original post by stubear

That's why and no it isn't. Granted, I'm not bothered about driving on motorways but I can understand why less confident drivers would be. From my experience of the A2 (nearer London side than Dover) it's reasonably busy but it's not as busy/fast moving as the M4 for example.

Original post by queensboy
At high speeds, a mistake is much more devastating. You will most likely die if someone goes seriously wrong at 70-80 mph.

Dual carriageways are reasonably like motorways but there still is a difference. Cruising at 50 is a lot different to cruising at 70. At 70 mph, you need a lot more time to react and need a bigger breaking distance.

Plus, I'd never used the 6th gear in my parents' car. So I ended up going 60 mph in 5th gear, revving to around 2000 rpm in a diesel. I could have put it in 6th, but I didn't want to be fiddling around with gears at 60 mph.

There are some real loonies though, I was doing 60 mph and these guys were literally flying past me. They must be doing close to 100 mph.

What? Why on earth are you concerned about changing gears at 60mph?

Also, driving 60mph on a motorway is akin to driving 25mph in a thirty. Drivers will being going faster than you, just sit in the left hand lane if you're that bothered with the lorries etc (for the love of God, don't go in the middle lane doing 60 unless you're passing a very busy junction).
Reply 7
did you feel horny at the time?
Reply 8
Original post by RollerBall
That's why and no it isn't. Granted, I'm not bothered about driving on motorways but I can understand why less confident drivers would be. From my experience of the A2 (nearer London side than Dover) it's reasonably busy but it's not as busy/fast moving as the M4 for example.

What? Why on earth are you concerned about changing gears at 60mph?

Also, driving 60mph on a motorway is akin to driving 25mph in a thirty. Drivers will being going faster than you, just sit in the left hand lane if you're that bothered with the lorries etc (for the love of God, don't go in the middle lane doing 60 unless you're passing a very busy junction).

The engine is overreving relatively. It would have dropped down to 1600 rpm from 2000 rpm had I shifted into 6th gear. This saves fuel and money and makes sure my engine doesn't get damaged over time.

The only benefit 5th gear has over 6th is that I can accelerate much quicker in the lower gears.
Reply 9
Original post by LostInLuv
did you feel horny at the time?

No, but I was more alert.

I kept a bit of the window open as well, so I could hear more of what was going around me. Things happen so much quickly at 60 mph compared to suburban driving.
Reply 10
LOOOOOOOOL I accidentally ended up on the M11 at like 1 am and it was raining and it was my first time ever on a motorway as I had passed my driving test not too long ago. I think I did the pass plus after. It was madness. I was doing like 30 mph until this big lorry beeped at me and I suddenly realised I was on a bloody mway. It was so scary. I thought I was going to die. My friend was with me but she's not a driver so she was useless. She was laughing while I was ****ting myself. :'(

I live in NW LDN. We got to Chigwell and I thought we'd have to spend the night there because I didn't know wtf to do. However, luckily, I figured out I could get back on the M11 back towards NW LDN. Anyway as soon as I got on the A406, I felt a great sense of relief. We did it. We weren't going to die!!! I made it home alive some time early morning. My mum wasn't amused and my friend spent the night at mines. I swear to God I had never been so relieved to see the A406 in my life!! I usually hate the A406. Too much traffic during peak times. It's a nightmare.
Reply 11
Original post by Aniga
LOOOOOOOOL I accidentally ended up on the M11 at like 1 am and it was raining and it was my first time ever on a motorway as I had passed my driving test not too long ago. I think I did the pass plus after. It was madness. I was doing like 30 mph until this big lorry beeped at me and I suddenly realised I was on a bloody mway. It was so scary. I thought I was going to die. My friend was with me but she's not a driver so she was useless. She was laughing while I was ****ting myself. :'(

I live in NW LDN. We got to Chigwell and I thought we'd have to spend the night there because I didn't know wtf to do. However, luckily, I figured out I could get back on the M11 back towards NW LDN. Anyway as soon as I got on the A406, I felt a great sense of relief. We did it. We weren't going to die!!! I made it home alive some time early morning. My mum wasn't amused and my friend spent the night at mines. I swear to God I had never been so relieved to see the A406 in my life!! I usually hate the A406. Too much traffic during peak times. It's a nightmare.

Lol, amazing story.

Doing 30 mph on a motorway is a bit dangerous though. You get these loonies going at 100 mph and they aren't expecting anyone to be cruising below 50 mph. Man getting beeped by a lorry says it all, haha. :P

Was the problem you hadn't worked the higher gears? Or just scared to put the foot down?
Reply 12
Lol, amazing story.

Doing 30 mph on a motorway is a bit dangerous though. You get these loonies going at 100 mph and they aren't expecting anyone to be cruising below 50 mph. Man getting beeped by a lorry says it all, haha. :P

Was the problem you hadn't worked the higher gears? Or just scared to put the foot down?

I didn't realise I was on a bloody motorway until I got beeped. I then thought 'uh oh, this looks like a mway' so I put my foot down hahahaa. I miss driving. :frown: It is dangerous. I guess we were lucky because no one was on the mway.
Reply 13
Original post by Aniga
I didn't realise I was on a bloody motorway until I got beeped. I then thought 'uh oh, this looks like a mway' so I put my foot down hahahaa. I miss driving. :frown: It is dangerous. I guess we were lucky because no one was on the mway.

Your situation sounds a lot worse. Night driving is the hardest form of driving you can do, on top of that it was raining and then the motorway bit. lol.

Motorways usually tell you in advance you are coming onto one. Every sign becomes blue from green.
Reply 14
Original post by Aniga

In panic you think the best thing to do is stop, but stopping on a motorway is suicidal. Especially at night. Every other driver would need to get their hazard lights on, if you ever did that.

You could have pulled into the hard shoulder and thought about what you were going to do for a bit.

Honestly, from the way you're sounding, I'm not sure you sound like you should be driving on your own just yet!

If you're still worried about changing gears, and aren't able to match the speed of the road appropriately then maybe a few refresher lessons, or a pass plus course are in order?
Reply 16
Original post by Dan1909
Honestly, from the way you're sounding, I'm not sure you sound like you should be driving on your own just yet!

If you're still worried about changing gears, and aren't able to match the speed of the road appropriately then maybe a few refresher lessons, or a pass plus course are in order?

I've never used 6th gear in my life. I will practise on it a bit when the car is stationary. Once you practise going up a gear, you need to be able to do the reverse as well, downshift from 6th to 5th.

I matched the speed as best as I could without toasting the engine. I wasn't going to go 70 mph in 5th gear, my engine would be up to 3000 rpm (and that's a diesel).
Which bit of the M25 were you on, were you going north from the M4 junction or south? It's quite unusual for people to be going fast on those sections, normally it's way too overcrowded.
Reply 18
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Which bit of the M25 were you on, were you going north from the M4 junction or south? It's quite unusual for people to be going fast on those sections, normally it's way too overcrowded.

Got off the M4 by London Heathrow, then I took the M25 southbound past thorpe park and got off at the A3 junction.
Reply 19
I would definitely be fearing for my life and possibly screaming. My mind does a crappy habit of bringing up car crash statistics. And I'm the type of person to watch Airplane crash videos before flying somewhere and being fully alert and panicky at all times. I actually read the shahada once when there was turbulence on a plane.

Your experience sounds really scary, god forbid if I ever have to drive on a motorway.

Glad you're safe! Haha

Quick Reply

Latest