The Student Room Group

It's OK to call things "gay"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by colourtheory
Thank you for providing heterosexual approval, I wouldn't want to be inconvenient or anything...

I hate it when people say stuff like this, why should it be a case of fine or not fine... we should get to a place where we don't have to have these stupid TSR debates all the god damned time. Where are the threads discussing the ethics of heteronormativity? The only way that we'll achieve any sense of equality is when homosexuality reaches a stage where it isn't a point of discussion. Tolerance should be taken for granted, just as it is with heterosexuals.

First of all, I'm gay. Secondly, what I said was fact.

You just ranted about it being a 'point of discussion'. Fact is, it is a point of discussion and still needs to be a point of discussion because of the fact being gay isn't yet normalised completely in the rest of the world nor this country (see the thread title). Racism is still an issue and will continue to be an issue that will also continue to be a 'point of discussion' for a long time yet. Whilst I agree with you it will be nice for it not be an issue or even a discussion, it will continue to be so for at least in our lifetimes and rightfully so.

But yeah, thank you for that rant. :confused:
No, instead you became self-righteous classist. You may not be prejudice against the LGBTQ community but you're instead looking down upon the working classes. These people need to be educated and not cast aside as 'scum'. Not so long ago people thought the same thing about black people and gay people, show some respect and compassion.

I am part of the working classes...
Agree, words develop meanings all the time, and it is wrong for the LGBT community to cling to any future meanings of the word. They do not own it in the same way, for example, the black community might own the 'N' word.
Reply 63
Original post by addylad
Calling something gay does not make one a homophobic. It's not being directed at a person, unlike calling a black person the n-word. You are being melodramatic here.

We should be aiming for tolerance of all minority groups, not just nitpicking at an individual word used by certain people in a particular context.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on how one defines a "homophobe". Calling something gay means that one is promoting a culture where gay and bad are synonyms no matter how unintentional this is and I define this as wrong. It may not be direct at a person but it certainly effects gay people nonetheless.

You don't seem to understand that this individual word contradicts your stated intention that we should be "aiming for tolerance of all minority groups" when, in fact, it promotes intolerance.
Reply 64
Original post by Arkasia
Agree, words develop meanings all the time, and it is wrong for the LGBT community to cling to any future meanings of the word. They do not own it in the same way, for example, the black community might own the 'N' word.

But in the meantime, that's so ****ing straight of you to say...
Original post by Obiejess
Replace 'gay' with 'African' or 'Paki'

Posted from TSR Mobile

When have you ever heard someone say, "that lesson's African"? Almost certainly never.

"Paki," is a derogatory term aimed at Pakistanis. To use it to refer to an inanimate or intangible object would make zero sense.

"Gay," has been used heavily to refer to objects. Regardless of whether people agree or disagree with its used, your comparisons are complete nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jacketh
First of all, I'm gay. Secondly, what I said was fact.

You just ranted about it being a 'point of discussion'. Fact is, it is a point of discussion and still needs to be a point of discussion because of the fact being gay isn't yet normalised completely in the rest of the world nor this country (see the thread title). Racism is still an issue and will continue to be an issue that will also continue to be a 'point of discussion' for a long time yet. Whilst I agree with you it will be nice for it not be an issue or even a discussion, it will continue to be so for at least in our lifetimes and rightfully so.

But yeah, thank you for that rant. :confused:

Second of all, I'm gay. Not that it has anything to do with the discussion or the validity of my points.

I don't know about you, but I don't feel as if this thread has done anything to further LGBTQ rights. Instead it has given legitimacy to those who argue that gay is a valid insult, we should not provide a platform from which people can spread anti-gay sentiments but here we are, forced to justify and defend our opinions.

You have completely missed the crux of my argument. The fact that gay or ethnic rights have to be discussed at all if ridiculous. the safety and happiness of any minority group should be taken as a given. Hate crimes should have harsher sentences and education brought in at an earlier age in schools. The only way that anything will improve is if we breakdown the notion of "otherness".
Original post by DylanJ96
But in the meantime, that's so ****ing straight of you to say...

Oh please, gay had a meaning separate from sexual connotations before it was used as a label, and it will have a separate meaning afterwards. Lets not delude ourselves by sectioning off certain words now, such as 'queer'.
Original post by Asexual Demigod
I am part of the working classes...

And you are therefore representative of your entire class? I think not.
Reply 69
Original post by Arkasia

Is it okay for the word 'Indian' or 'Chinese' to be developed into a derogatory adjective?

*something bad happened*
That's so indian!

Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And you are therefore representative of your entire class? I think not.

Did I say I was? I just hate those who share the same background as they have a tendency ​to be massive homophobic losers - the same people who made my life a living hell at high school.
Original post by Arkasia
Oh please, gay had a meaning separate from sexual connotations before it was used as a label, and it will have a separate meaning afterwards. Lets not delude ourselves by sectioning off certain words now, such as 'queer'.

That is so beyond the point!!! "gay' is 100% equated with homosexuality, and anyone who says "that's so gay' is being homophobic. Don't be so blind to the extent of passive homophobia, denial just propagates the issue.
Reply 72
Original post by Arkasia

Whether is does or not, gay has come to be a universally recognised term for homosexuals. So what you're saying is that I'm expected to have my lifestyle equated to something bad and a culture of homophobia, no matter how unintentional, promoted all so that you can have another word for bad under the justification that language changes?
Original post by 2710
Is it okay for the word 'Indian' or 'Chinese' to be developed into a derogatory adjective?

*something bad happened*
That's so indian!

Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What meaning did 'Indian' and 'Chinese' have before being used to describe a group of people? None? Don't use completely different examples to try to push a point. Also, 'gay' was developed into a label for the homosexual community, AND THEN developed into an insult used by pre-pubescent schoolboys, words evolve, get over it.
Original post by DylanJ96
The word "gay" isn't nicotine.

It is obviously not nicotine. However, habits/addictions can be formed out of anything so you could be addicted to saying the word 'gay'.
Did I say I was? I just hate those who share the same background as they have a tendency ​to be massive homophobic losers - the same people who made my life a living hell at high school.

And? I was bullied by loads of working class kids but I don't assume that ever other working class person feels the same way about my sexuality.
Reply 76
Original post by addylad
When have you ever heard someone say, "that lesson's African"? Almost certainly never.

"Paki," is a derogatory term aimed at Pakistanis. To use it to refer to an inanimate or intangible object would make zero sense.

"Gay," has been used heavily to refer to objects. Regardless of whether people agree or disagree with its used, your comparisons are complete nonsense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? That's the whole point, it was developed. 'That's so gay' also started somewhere, before that you could also say 'When have you heard anyone say that?!'

And when you say that people refer it to objects does not justify the impact it causes

Posted from TSR Mobile
And? I was bullied by loads of working class kids but I don't assume that ever other working class person feels the same way about my sexuality.

Most do. Don't live in ignorance.
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
It is obviously not nicotine. However, habits/addictions can be formed out of anything so you could be addicted to saying the word 'gay'.

If you're poor maybe...
It tends to be the scruffy state school students who call everything "gay". Those of us with a little more dignity do not act so immaturely.

Mite w0nna tip ur f3dorino m9

But seriously, in all honesty turning this into a class argument is pretty petty and unfounded.

State school =/= Lower Class

Private school =/= Pedigreed Upper Class

Correlation is not causation etc. Just trends.

And along the lines of this discussion around people in my area which is not the greatest the people that I hear using 'gay' the most as a synonym for negative connotations are ironically my transgender and homosexual friends so I don't really have any scope of the issue in other places.

I get that in very working class backgrounds you do see people that are more vocal about it but you also get plenty of upper middle class and upper class that actually are just as, if not, more abusive regarding this. They just do it behind peoples backs more often.

Quick Reply