The Student Room Group

Choosing Universities

So as you might know for Ucas I can only choose 5 universities. I have recently been predicted A*AB in Classical Civilisation, History and Geography respectively. I am looking to do politics at university and have a rough idea of which universities I want to go to however I'm not sure if I have chosen too many risky ones as I don't want to be left with no offers at all.
the list of universities are:

Bristol AAA
Exeter AAA-AAB
Manchester AAB
BIrmingham ABB
Newcastle ABB
Hi Jarryd,
I think that you've got a good selection there, you've got some which are technically above your predicted grades and some below and that's a good position to be in. I wouldn't worry too much as it looks like you've got a good mix, so perhaps start checking them out a bit more (course modules, open days etc.) to see if these might be the right unis for you.

toronto353 :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by toronto353
Hi Jarryd,
I think that you've got a good selection there, you've got some which are technically above your predicted grades and some below and that's a good position to be in. I wouldn't worry too much as it looks like you've got a good mix, so perhaps start checking them out a bit more (course modules, open days etc.) to see if these might be the right unis for you.

toronto353 :smile:

thanks for the advice! :smile:
Advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections

My advice would be to have one choice of BBB instead of 2 x ABB.
This is to avoid having no 'bottom drop' Insurance. If you end up having a potential Firm of AAB and an Insurance of ABB that is too close. If things don't go your way on Results Day, you could easily end up with no Uni place at all. Do not assume that an A* makes any of your choices an automatic offer. Politics is a highly competitive subject and you have chosen very popular Unis. Not everyone who applies, even with good predictions, will get an Offer. Be aware that a grade range like AAA-AAB usually means the lower grades are for contextual offers (disadvantaged backgrounds etc) - check with Exeter, because this could mean that its actually AAA.

If you haven't already done so, read the course descriptions carefully. You would be amazed how many applicants don't do this! Not all Politics courses are the same. Make sure you understand what is on offer and what makes each course different. Just because it is Russell Group does not mean its a 'better' course or that you will like it!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending