The Student Room Group

Feeling Guilty

Hey guys, so my life in the past few days has literally been turned upside and I just really need some people to chat too who have maybe been through the same events as me to offer some advice.
So to cut a long story short, my mum left my dad a few months ago and has been living with her mom, however two days ago me and my dad (who I have been living with) had a massive argument as he wanted to kick my brother out for seeing my moms new boyfriend (which he allowed) and I defended my brother. The argument got very heated and my dad said a lot of things that I hated about my mom (he has attempted to stay reserved about it for me but that night he called her names I shan't repeat here) I am now living with my nan after he told me to leave (and my mom).
I love my dad to the ends of the earth, as do I my mum. I hate the fact that all of this has happened but there is one thing that bugs me more than anything...

I feel so sorry for my dad, like I can't get over this intense guilt that I feel for arguing with him even though I believe I have done no wrong (I tried to stay calm in the argument even though he was getting enraged). Every night since leaving I can't help but feel devastated at the thought of him struggling alone (my sister I still there but she is also enstranged with him at the moment) without anyone to talk to or to spend time with. My dad has never had any friends, and I am now more so than ever feeling terrible at the idea of him loosing the people who he held closest and who he has before claimed are all that matters to him.

Advice anyone?

also - I have also had this sympathy problem - I used to feel sorry for the bad guys in movies in the thought that they had to suffer in some way when good prevails. I feel sorry for people I dislike and who dislike me - I hate the idea of anyone suffering in pain no matter who they are as a result of something I have done. I almost perceive them as helpless children (I know, weird right?) who are being abused by life. urgh, I don't even know.
Thanks guys!
Sorry this is all going on for you. There is obviously a lot going on for you emotionally, and when you're all trying to get along and not really having any outlet for your frustrations, it can explode like this. it sounds like this is what has happened with your Dad, he's obviously still hurt and angry at your mum for leaving and her having a new boyfriend that his children are interacting with and getting along with probably touched a nerve.

Its not your fault that he reacted like this. His behaviour is his responsibility, and I'm not condoning it, but given the circumstances, you feeling bad is quite a normal reaction to. I'm sure you understand that he was coming from a place of anger and upset, not logic and didn't mean to take it out on you and your brother. Given the circumstances, he probably does need a bit of understanding and forgiveness.

Could you try popping round to see him and see how he is, let him know there are no hard feelings? He's probably feeling quit bad about the whole thing in hindsight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending