The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Starting at University of Kent

Hi,

I have my registration weekend for Kent on Saturday/Sunday and I've noticed that fresher's week starts Monday.

I am a mature student (well, I'm 23) and I am going to study Social Work. I live at home with my husband, but I am still young enough to want to go out clubbing and drinking, but I am worried that I am not going to meet anyone in time for Fresher's week and I am too scared to just go to events on my own and hope for the best.

Hoping someone else might be starting at the university and want to meet up and I would especially love someone from my Social Work course.
Hey,

I'm starting at Kent too. I'm also a mature student (well, 21+ makes you a mature student, I'm 30 - that just makes me an old student...). And I live off campus with my eleven year old daughter. HOWEVER, I fully plan on drinking, pubbing, clubbing, and generally making 18 year olds feel uncomfortable.

So, if you don't get a better offer, and you do want someone to walk into Freshers Events with - even if you want to ditch me when you get there - let me know. Or, failing that, maybe just someone to drink coffee with over the weekend whilst your waiting to register.

Otherwise, good luck. You'll make friends quickly. I guarantee it.

Simon

Original post by MissMcCarthy
Hi,

I have my registration weekend for Kent on Saturday/Sunday and I've noticed that fresher's week starts Monday.

I am a mature student (well, I'm 23) and I am going to study Social Work. I live at home with my husband, but I am still young enough to want to go out clubbing and drinking, but I am worried that I am not going to meet anyone in time for Fresher's week and I am too scared to just go to events on my own and hope for the best.

Hoping someone else might be starting at the university and want to meet up and I would especially love someone from my Social Work course.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm 20 so fall short of 'mature student', but I'm living off campus outside Canterbury so in a similar boat. It'll be fine once the ball starts rolling, but right at the outset, not living in halls does make things a little awkward. I was planning to drag some friends along next week, but then I heard you can't actually take non-students to freshers week events. I don't really fancy going alone either! If anyone wants to cross paths at arrivals or something, I'm game for that.

Hi,

If you can handle the ten year age gap, that would be cool. Especially as we're both doing joint honours with English Language and Linguistics...

Original post by ghostgrl
I'm 20 so fall short of 'mature student', but I'm living off campus outside Canterbury so in a similar boat. It'll be fine once the ball starts rolling, but right at the outset, not living in halls does make things a little awkward. I was planning to drag some friends along next week, but then I heard you can't actually take non-students to freshers week events. I don't really fancy going alone either! If anyone wants to cross paths at arrivals or something, I'm game for that.
Reply 4
Original post by AnotherSimon
If you can handle the ten year age gap, that would be cool. Especially as we're both doing joint honours with English Language and Linguistics...

What are you studying with it?
Philosophy. You're Comparative Literature aren't you? Do you have the two Foundations of Language modules?
Reply 6
I am, yeah. I'm taking one of the Foundations of Language modules in the spring term, but in the autumn I'm doing World Englishes for the ling/lang side of my course.
That sounds interesting. Do you get Wild Modules in year 1? We don't. We're all core. Which is a bit of a pain. I wanted to squeeze some psychology in.
Reply 8
Aw, that's a bit ****. I could pick up to 3 wild modules, but I ended up picking another comp lit module, World Englishes and then only one from another department. I was torn between taking Fundamentals of Sociology or Intro to Psychology, and then I ended up picking 'Contemporary Culture' instead. Which might just be a fancy name for Media Studies, but it looked interesting..
And what's wrong with Media Studies?!? :smile:

Original post by ghostgrl
Aw, that's a bit ****. I could pick up to 3 wild modules, but I ended up picking another comp lit module, World Englishes and then only one from another department. I was torn between taking Fundamentals of Sociology or Intro to Psychology, and then I ended up picking 'Contemporary Culture' instead. Which might just be a fancy name for Media Studies, but it looked interesting..
I did read your reply yesterday, but I re-read my original post and felt so embarrassed at how pathetic I sounded that I just put my head in the sand for a bit. I forgot to say that I'm studying at the Medway campus, which might explain why it's so hard to find anyone that's starting! Sorry, I really should have mentioned that... :-(

Original post by AnotherSimon
Hey,

I'm starting at Kent too. I'm also a mature student (well, 21+ makes you a mature student, I'm 30 - that just makes me an old student...). And I live off campus with my eleven year old daughter. HOWEVER, I fully plan on drinking, pubbing, clubbing, and generally making 18 year olds feel uncomfortable.

So, if you don't get a better offer, and you do want someone to walk into Freshers Events with - even if you want to ditch me when you get there - let me know. Or, failing that, maybe just someone to drink coffee with over the weekend whilst your waiting to register.

Otherwise, good luck. You'll make friends quickly. I guarantee it.

Simon
It's not a problem. And, for what it's worth, it read perfectly normal to me. You'll people there. Don't worry, it'll be fine.

I did read your reply yesterday, but I re-read my original post and felt so embarrassed at how pathetic I sounded that I just put my head in the sand for a bit. I forgot to say that I'm studying at the Medway campus, which might explain why it's so hard to find anyone that's starting! Sorry, I really should have mentioned that... :-(
Reply 12

Aw! I don't think you should feel embarrassed at all! I can't think many people wouldn't feel a little apprehensive about something like this. I'm sure you'll meet people as soon as you get there, anyway.
Hi,

Heyaa,

I'm also studying at Medway doing the same course as you. I havent exactly found friends yet at the moment, but would be really nice to talks to you and meet up some time, especially as were on the same course :smile: atleast that would be one friend aha.

Take care
Nicole x
Original post by Nicole-xo
Heyaa,

I'm also studying at Medway doing the same course as you. I havent exactly found friends yet at the moment, but would be really nice to talks to you and meet up some time, especially as were on the same course :smile: atleast that would be one friend aha.

Take care
Nicole x

Hi,

Sorry that I took a while to reply, but I've been resting after a hangover from a welcome party at Cooper's yesterday, registering at the university and reading this report that they gave us months ago! (What I'm doing now - trying to write notes on it so that I don't look too stupid!)
I'm guessing that you are going to the talk tomorrow at 10:45am? I would be happy to meet up before hand at least we will have someone to walk in with, as I haven't met any one else on our course. Then, if I'm not too bad, I am meeting someone at the BBQ after the talk that I met yesterday and we can try to expand our friendship group! We are also planning to go to the treasure hunt? I was so scared yesterday and then someone answered me and I went with him to the welcome party and I feel much better about it all now. Just feel that I won't be good enough or clever enough for the course.

x Anneka
Hi,

Sorry that I took a while to reply, but I've been resting after a hangover from a welcome party at Cooper's yesterday, registering at the university and reading this report that they gave us months ago! (What I'm doing now - trying to write notes on it so that I don't look too stupid!)
I'm guessing that you are going to the talk tomorrow at 10:45am? I would be happy to meet up before hand at least we will have someone to walk in with, as I haven't met any one else on our course. Then, if I'm not too bad, I am meeting someone at the BBQ after the talk that I met yesterday and we can try to expand our friendship group! We are also planning to go to the treasure hunt? I was so scared yesterday and then someone answered me and I went with him to the welcome party and I feel much better about it all now. Just feel that I won't be good enough or clever enough for the course.

x Anneka

Hi Anneka, I am also doing social work and I am a mature student (24) and I would love to meet up before the welcome meeting as I also know no one! It all feels very daunting doesn't it!?
Anja X
Original post by anjasabanya
Hi Anneka, I am also doing social work and I am a mature student (24) and I would love to meet up before the welcome meeting as I also know no one! It all feels very daunting doesn't it!?
Anja X

That would be great, as I am not even sure where the St George's Centre is where the talk is going to be. About to try and Google a map!
You will 100% meet people to talk to. However, remember that you may spend time with people in the first few weeks who you don't necessarily get on with - and will find people with common interest throughout the year and gain deeper connections with. So don't put too much pressure on making 'best friends' early on - that will come. Just find some cool people to chat with and see how it goes.
Hi everyone

This is for anyone looking for last minute student accommodation on the Medway Campus

Basically in a bit of a dilemma...
Im booked in for student accommodation for next in Phase 2 Liberty Quays but am moving to a house in Canterbury instead and Liberty Quays wont let me out of the lease without finding someone to replace me.

Its an ensuite single room with a double bed, desk space, loads of shelving and a large built in wardrobe. You'll be sharing the flat with 8 other people. The kitchens quiet big with two ovens, massive fridges and a sofa area for when you have flat parties or extra people wanna stay over. I've already paid the deposit meaning at the end of the year as long as you rooms still intact you basically get a free £200 quid Its all just a case of transferring the contract to your name and the rooms yours.

message me if your interested and we can sort out all the details

THANK YOU

Quick Reply

Latest