The Student Room Group

How hard is it to achieve a 2.1 degree in chemical engineering?

I'm an A level student and I wanted to ask, how hard is it to achieve a 2.1 degree in chemical engineering in a good accredited university?
What percentage of students achieve a 2.1 degree on average?
Also, would I be able to achieve it if I'm getting A's and high B's in maths and science subjects in a levels?
Thank you for your replies.
rip this thread
I have an MEng in chem engineering. The answer is well it depends. A lot of the degree is coursework based which is carried out in groups. I know a lot of people who slacked when it came to coursework and just recieved a grade based upon other people in their groups efforts and none of their own. The content is not conceptually harder than A levels but I found it DEAD boring except the more science based ones. Personally I found the whole course pretty chill in comparison to what I’d see people on other courses going through
Original post by shortguy
I have an MEng in chem engineering. The answer is well it depends. A lot of the degree is coursework based which is carried out in groups. I know a lot of people who slacked when it came to coursework and just recieved a grade based upon other people in their groups efforts and none of their own. The content is not conceptually harder than A levels but I found it DEAD boring except the more science based ones. Personally I found the whole course pretty chill in comparison to what I’d see people on other courses going through

You found it chill wtf?? did you do Physics at A level and what uni did you graduate from if i may ask
No I did bio, chem and maths. I’d say chill is a relative term. Like compared to other degree is did legit barely any work cause I only studied when exams were round the corner and didn’t go to lectures mostly. I can comfortably tell you I spent more time going out and clubbing than actually doing my course. Then again I only got a 2:1 and I have zero interest in pursuing a job in the industry. I went to nottingham
No I did bio, chem and maths. I’d say chill is a relative term. Like compared to other degree is did legit barely any work cause I only studied when exams were round the corner and didn’t go to lectures mostly. I can comfortably tell you I spent more time going out and clubbing than actually doing my course. Then again I only got a 2:1 and I have zero interest in pursuing a job in the industry. I went to nottingham

That's crazy, did you feel work load was very high? Because I go to Birmingham and workload is huge. Many people are behind rn. How many modules did you have in your first year and what were they if you don't mind telling me?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CaptainBoy123
That's crazy, did you feel work load was very high? Because I go to Birmingham and workload is huge. Many people are behind rn. How many modules did you have in your first year and what were they if you don't mind telling me?

I mean at times it was yes. But I was in a huge friendship group and we always shared work and stuff which made the course 10 times easier. A lot of people don’t like doing that. In all honestly I can’t remember my first year modules it was so long ago. I think I had fluid dynamics, intro chem, intro geology. Heat and mass transfer. Design project, etc

The course was pretty easy for me but I wish I did something I was more passionate about in all honesty
I mean at times it was yes. But I was in a huge friendship group and we always shared work and stuff which made the course 10 times easier. A lot of people don’t like doing that. In all honestly I can’t remember my first year modules it was so long ago. I think I had fluid dynamics, intro chem, intro geology. Heat and mass transfer. Design project, etc

The course was pretty easy for me but I wish I did something I was more passionate about in all honesty

I had a look through you're profile and you were replying to loads of medicine posts, did you orginally apply for med? Also the fact that you did bio, chem and maths makes me think you did aswell. If that is the case how come you didn't for med? Because i initially applied for med too but received no offers so i had to go through clearing and luckily got brum. I would've taken a gap year and reapplied as i had grades to apply to med school but didn't feel like I'd do well in the interviews
I had a look through you're profile and you were replying to loads of medicine posts, did you orginally apply for med? Also the fact that you did bio, chem and maths makes me think you did aswell. If that is the case how come you didn't for med? Because i initially applied for med too but received no offers so i had to go through clearing and luckily got brum. I would've taken a gap year and reapplied as i had grades to apply to med school but didn't feel like I'd do well in the interviews

Lol looking thru my history😂. I’m currently applying for med right now. I considered it at the time when I was 18 but didn’t really know what I wanted to do. However now I know it’s the profession I want to pursue after getting a bit more insight into the profession and establishing what I want out of a career
Lol looking thru my history😂. I’m currently applying for med right now. I considered it at the time when I was 18 but didn’t really know what I wanted to do. However now I know it’s the profession I want to pursue after getting a bit more insight into the profession and establishing what I want out of a career

Yeah lol, I was wondering why someone with an MEng in chem eng is on tsr. And that's crazy though, does that mean you have to do the full 5 years in med school or is it shorter? But the fact that you're putting yourself through 2 of the hardest courses which is are very different is amazing, good luck that bro. it seems like from your posst you appleid to UEA? I applied there, had an interview and ****ed it, even though it was probably the easiest interview i had.

Also, after completing the MEng, did you have a job secured for you (if you did do a placement) or did you apply to any?
Yeah lol, I was wondering why someone with an MEng in chem eng is on tsr. And that's crazy though, does that mean you have to do the full 5 years in med school or is it shorter? But the fact that you're putting yourself through 2 of the hardest courses which is are very different is amazing, good luck that bro. it seems like from your posst you appleid to UEA? I applied there, had an interview and ****ed it, even though it was probably the easiest interview i had.

Also, after completing the MEng, did you have a job secured for you (if you did do a placement) or did you apply to any?

No I didn’t apply to any companies for a job. In all honesty I don’t want to work in engineering at all. The most interesting modules were the more niche scientific related ones. Yes I’d have to do another 5 years but I guess it’s the path I’ve chosen. Out of my friends that graduated this year the majority don’t have any form of employment because of the pandemic. Thing is the uk isn’t even short of engineers. A lot of the grads go into finance/teaching etc. Only about 30 percent of the cohort will actually become chemical engineers typically from my uni. How did your UEA interview go? Any tips for me? Where they particularly hard questions/assessors?
No I didn’t apply to any companies for a job. In all honesty I don’t want to work in engineering at all. The most interesting modules were the more niche scientific related ones. Yes I’d have to do another 5 years but I guess it’s the path I’ve chosen. Out of my friends that graduated this year the majority don’t have any form of employment because of the pandemic. Thing is the uk isn’t even short of engineers. A lot of the grads go into finance/teaching etc. Only about 30 percent of the cohort will actually become chemical engineers typically from my uni. How did your UEA interview go? Any tips for me? Where they particularly hard questions/assessors?

Oh damn, yeah the only reason i chose chemical engineering is because of the technical skills you gain from it, i don't really think I'd become a chemical engineer. I'll PM you about the interview

Quick Reply

Latest