The Student Room Group

Hello! Do you need 4 A levels to get into Oxbridge?

I know they dont say that you must have 4 A levels on their website but i was on university connect and most students who have offers from oxbridge or imperial have done 4 A levels? Will someone who has only 3 A levels be at a disadvantage compared to another who has done 4 A levels assuming that both students got all A*s in their A levels? Thanks :smile:
According to Oxford, no. Several candidates with 3 A levels have gotten offers also. Furthermore, if doing the 4th A level will hinder your chances to achieve AAA/A*AA or whatever your predicted, then its apparent that you should focus on three.

Also is further maths considered a 4th A level? May be that most science/maths applicants have 4 a levels if it is... (not entirely sure about this)
Original post by ben60
I know they dont say that you must have 4 A levels on their website but i was on university connect and most students who have offers from oxbridge or imperial have done 4 A levels? Will someone who has only 3 A levels be at a disadvantage compared to another who has done 4 A levels assuming that both students got all A*s in their A levels? Thanks :smile:

Hey,

I can't imagine you being at a disadvantage for doing 3 A Levels as this is what they state they expect to see from candidates. Yes some people do more than 3 but that doesn't necessarily mean the admissions tutors will show preference to them. You must remember that your A Levels only make up part of your application; the admissions process for Oxbridge relies on multiple factors such as tests, interviews and personal statements. As long as you are studying the subjects they require for your course and are working towards the grades they ask for, having an additional A Level shouldn't matter a great deal to the college you are applying for.

If you are still worried, voice your concerns to the admission departments.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Alunzar
Hey,

I can't imagine you being at a disadvantage for doing 3 A Levels as this is what they state they expect to see from candidates. Yes some people do more than 3 but that doesn't necessarily mean the admissions tutors will show preference to them. You must remember that your A Levels only make up part of your application; the admissions process for Oxbridge relies on multiple factors such as tests, interviews and personal statements. As long as you are studying the subjects they require for your course and are working towards the grades they ask for, having an additional A Level shouldn't matter a great deal to the college you are applying for.

If you are still worried, voice your concerns to the admission departments.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by ben60

Which 4 subjects are you studying? Which one subject would you drop, if you were dropping one? And which subject do you wish to study at Oxbridge?

(But of course, the short answer is "no - you don't need 4 A Levels".)
You don't need 4 by any means, especially since there are some schools that don't give students the option of doing 4 anyway. I'd imagine the trend would simply be because Oxbridge-calibre students are more likely to be capable of doing, and want to do, more subjects. You're not really at any disadvantage by only doing 3, as (1) taking on extra workload is only likely to bring your overall grades down anyway, and (2) if you take 4 A-levels some colleges might give you an offer based on all 4 rather than just 3.
Reply 6
No. My friend graduated this year - he only did three A2s after dropping Economics (B grade) at AS. Any entrance exams and interviews are more important than a fourth subject, by far.
Nope, not at all. But be aware that doing 4 to A2 means they can make you an offer based on the 4, and not 3 as standard.
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Which 4 subjects are you studying? Which one subject would you drop, if you were dropping one? And which subject do you wish to study at Oxbridge?

(But of course, the short answer is "no - you don't need 4 A Levels".)

I want to study mechanical engineering. To be honest, I lost all hope for Oxbridge after results day. I got AABC in maths physics bio and chem. Disappointing. Therefore, i have not even a glimmer of hope that i will get into Oxbridge but i am still thinking of Imperial UCL and Warwick.
I dropped Chemistry as it was my lowest. I am now thinking of doing further maths - 6 modules in one year. That would be too much. Dont you think so?

Quick Reply

Latest