The Student Room Group

Alternatives to pharmacy?

Hi.
I'm currently starting my A2 levels, my AS grades were C in everything, and my predicted grades are all B.
I have been aspiring to do pharmacy for years and put so much effort into last year yet my grades still turned out bad so I've been thinking about choosing 1-2 backup choices since pharmacy seems to be mostly AAB and there's a chance that I may not get the grades.

So does anybody know of any courses that are similar to pharmacy with lower entry requirements, or perhaps any pharmacy courses which have AAB-BBB requirements?
Hey! If you really have you heart set on pharmacy then why not do pharmacy with a foundation year degree? This is an alternative as instead of going straights into the pharmacy degree, you do a foundation year first where you'll recap on all the things you in chemistry mainly and help you understand it better. After the one year is done and you prove yourself as an aspiring student, you're there! :smile:
Original post by DiamondQueen
Hey! If you really have you heart set on pharmacy then why not do pharmacy with a foundation year degree? This is an alternative as instead of going straights into the pharmacy degree, you do a foundation year first where you'll recap on all the things you in chemistry mainly and help you understand it better. After the one year is done and you prove yourself as an aspiring student, you're there! :smile:

I did a foundation year after getting BBC in my a levels... Now I'm off to study pharmacy :smile: The extra year really helped me get into the habit of uni life and my chemistry improved so much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the suggestion:smile:.
However I tried looking into some foundation courses and they often have a maximum of grade BBC-BCC, which I feel I could do better than.
They also say that people who have taken science-subjects will be unlikely to be offered a place, and im currently doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Are all foundation courses like this?
Original post by WorldPharmacist
I did a foundation year after getting BBC in my a levels... Now I'm off to study pharmacy :smile: The extra year really helped me get into the habit of uni life and my chemistry improved so much :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did you find the foundation year, was it harder than alevels and which uni did you do it at :smile:
Original post by Andybro
Thanks for the suggestion:smile:.
However I tried looking into some foundation courses and they often have a maximum of grade BBC-BCC, which I feel I could do better than.
They also say that people who have taken science-subjects will be unlikely to be offered a place, and im currently doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
Are all foundation courses like this?

I'm not actually sure because I didn't apply to a lot of places. I went to hertfordshire uni and most of the students on the course had already taken science a levels and achieved Bs and Cs. I didn't get into east Anglia or Manchester because my grades were too low :frown: You should check requirements for other Unis because I'm not sure...

I think these Unis do foundation years for pharmacy: Hertfordshire, Kingston, Huddersfield, Sunderland, Manchester, East Anglia and Keele

Sorry if I'm wrong :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseebi82
how did you find the foundation year, was it harder than alevels and which uni did you do it at :smile:

It was harrrrd work because the workload was so much! But if you work hard and stay on top of your work, you'll do fine. In terms of content, most of it was AS and A Level work. Personally I found it easier than A Level only because I was taught better than when I did my A Levels :/ There were some modules that were first year uni work but it was fine :biggrin: I went to Hertfordshire

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending