The Student Room Group

Peer pressured to drink and I might be giving in

I'll keep this simple and fast.
I'm a confident person and I personally don't need booze to make myself feel like a boss or anything, I'm alread in my third day of my freshers and people are coming up to me telling me that. I'm also an athletic person so i don't believe in drinking as I want to keep myself fit and make it proffesionally at football (Reason why I joined this football uni) But the amount of people drinking is putting me off and people keep treating me weirdly just because of my views. I used to drink back when I was a kid but I went through things that actually got me to stop drinking that much, now being in the freshers I'm pressured to go to discos and have a drink while I don't want to drink.

Help me out please, this might get me depressed or put me off freshers week all together.:frown:
Reply 1
Just be like normal folk and enjoy drink for the drink. It's not all about getting goose guzzled.
Reply 2
Just say you on antibiotics because of some illness (don't go too imaginative otherwise it will put people off of you :P) which doesn't allow you to drink :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a confident person and I personally don't need booze to make myself feel like a boss or anything, I'm alread in my third day of my freshers and people are coming up to me telling me that. I'm also an athletic person so i don't believe in drinking as I want to keep myself fit and make it proffesionally at football (Reason why I joined this football uni) But the amount of people drinking is putting me off and people keep treating me weirdly just because of my views. I used to drink back when I was a kid but I went through things that actually got me to stop drinking that much, now being in the freshers I'm pressured to go to discos and have a drink while I don't want to drink.

Help me out please, this might get me depressed or put me off freshers week all together.:frown:

Tbh, that isn't a big deal
you've only got 4 days left...so just hang in there.
And don't give into the pressure.
All you can do is have a strong mindset and not allow yourself to be swayed by the others
Just keep yourself busy with other stuff
and they'll also probably be other who aren't drinking either
Reply 4
Original post by Dalilsp
Just say you on antibiotics because of some illness (don't go too imaginative otherwise it will put people off of you :P) which doesn't allow you to drink :smile:

You can drink on antibiotics, it's a myth to say you can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're confident when you tell people that you don't drink then they're less likely to try to persuade you or bug you about it. I think your problem is in the way you're relaying this message. Just say its for personal reasons and let that be the end of it. You can have fun without drinking.

If they treat you differently because of it, then ditch them. Why would you need someone like that in your life who would judge you? Also, are you sure they are actually treating you weirdly like you say or are you just feeling that?

Just be confident in your decision, I can't stress that enough. No one will question you.
Reply 6
Original post by james1211
You can drink on antibiotics, it's a myth to say you can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mistake. Just looked it up, can cause some undesirable side effects but fine on the whole.

Still you can do several things. Say you're the designated driver (if you have a car), but this might not work if you live a few minutes walk away. You can hold a drink and just not drink it, you can fill it up with tap water/coke whatever. You can hang out in a group with other people who don't drink in the same place. Don't let anyone force you into drinking if you don't want to!
After freshers nobody really cares. I didn't drink at the start of freshers and people asked why but it was just curiosity more than anything. I never felt like anyone was trying to force me to get wasted.
Original post by Anonymous

Do what you want, not your 'friends'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
your missing out on some serious drunken banter

.. no but really your your own person do what you want, what anyone thinks should be irrelevant

......... freshers drunken banter is pretty epic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending