The Student Room Group

HELP! questions on retaking A2 ?

hello, a little background, in 2012 i did btec business, media and psychology but realised i did not like them so i redid year 12 in 2013. The subjects i now did were english literature, history and sociology. At AS i gained AAB but did poorly in A2. i am now on a gap year and have decided to resit my A2 exams.

However for English and History A2 there was coursework involved which is a bit of a problem when needing to retake. I have found a site called the national extension college which will give me a personal tutor who marks coursework.

i have some questions, for my A2 CW in History i did serfdom in Tsarist russia and how it effected Russia for the next 100 years and the second piece of CW was the short term effects of Gorbachev. However, the NEC Coursework topic is about Britain seperated into two parts the same as the CW i did on Russia. The exam i took for A2 was from Kaiser to Fuhrer but the NEC unit 3 is about Britain from 1760-1830. The examining bodies for NEC are Edexcel which was the same one that i did at sixth form. However my question is this, if i were to redo my A2 exams but instead did a different topic despite being in the same spec such as 610H3 but with a different option e.g. 610H3/D instead of 610h3/E which i did for A2 will there be any problem ? would the new grade i achieve cancel out my old A2 grades and therefore my AS and my new A2 grade become a full a level ? will it be a problem that i do not retake the exact same topic questions even though its the exact same examination board ?

This also applies to Sociology which at AS i achieved an A. NEC unit 4 thankfully is crime and deviance which is the same as i did but their unit 3 is beliefs in society rather than mass media. They use the exact same board which i sat my exam with which is AQA. if i retake my A2 exams but instead do the beliefs in society section instead of the mass media section, would there be any problems ?

English Literature also contains CW but the exam board is not the same one which i have already done at sixth form. Am i able to do the full A level eng lit course with a new exam board with NEC in just one year ?

Thanks for your patience.
Also try 3a tutors" in Bristol they allow coursework retakes!
Original post by lozasaurus99
Also try 3a tutors" in Bristol they allow coursework retakes!

i have just emailed them too, but i still need to know if there would be any problem retaking a2 exams with the exact same examination board but answering different questions e.g. instead of answering the ''from kaiser to fuhrer 1945'' from option A, i answer a different section on britian from 1760-1830'' option B which i think will be a different question paper but with the exact same examination board.

Same applies with unit 3 aqa sociology where instead of doing the mass media section which i have already done, i retake the exam and do ''beliefs in society'' section for unit 3 aqa sociology.
Ah..don't worry! !!!:smile: you'll be fine! Just focus and have that firm uni choice in your mind! Good luck! ...but with me I'm going to resit my English coursework which I done terribly on! They charge £150 which makes me sad! Should be worth it in the end! A Levels aren't that different actually!
Email the exam board? I have a feeling different exam boards have different policies.
Original post by loperdoper
Email the exam board? I have a feeling different exam boards have different policies.

i'll email them, i hope there will be no problems :/ they can't really say i cannot do a different option for unit 3 and 4 on history and unit 3 on sociology when its the same examination boards and the same marks across all papers etc
Original post by mohammedjaved
i'll email them, i hope there will be no problems :/ they can't really say i cannot do a different option for unit 3 and 4 on history and unit 3 on sociology when its the same examination boards and the same marks across all papers etc

In theory no, but if you're doing a different paper they may say something like they're technically giving you a slightly different qualification and so it doesn't count. It's highly unlikely though.

Quick Reply

Latest