The Student Room Group

Where are the black faces on University Challenge?

I was watching a programe about how they pick the teams. What struck me was the lack of black faces. A smattering of Asians but no black students, not one.
Go to any city Uni and you will see plenty of black faces around, or check out the Uni websites there are plenty.
I was wondering why this is.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They can get laid.
where are the white faces and diversity in Africa?
Reply 3
Generally white people are the ones who live in middle/upper class families, and who receive an education at private schools/grammar schools, and then go on to top universities. Also, the fact that over 80% of the population is white does tend to help.
Who cares ?? who actually cares if there are no black faces on university challenge ??
Ainsley Harriot instead of Paxman, that's what I say.
Asians do better than average.
Whites are average.
Blacks do worse than average.

On average of course. Exceptions all over the place. Its the causes of this that you need to look at. If you ignore the facts above you do condemn future generations to the same.
I did wonderif it is partly a class thing.
Blacks are proprtionately more likely to be working class.
I did notice that practically all the team members were middle class. In fact very middle class.
Just a thought.
Reply 8
Original post by CryptoidAlien

South Africa?
How is IQ related to knowledge of mildly interesting facts? Anyone can read a book and memorise things
Original post by Snagprophet
It's all because of IQ.

It's hilarious how it's not racist to express truth that on average Asians do better than Europeans in IQ but if you express truth that another race does worse than Europeans that's racist.

Why the hatred towards Europeans?

Original post by + polarity -
How is IQ related to knowledge of mildly interesting facts? Anyone can read a book and memorise things

Precisely. IQ is only slightly relevant to knowledge, and once someone has enough IQ to attend university, there will be no difference.
It's all because of IQ.

It's hilarious how it's not racist to express truth that on average Asians do better than Europeans in IQ but if you express truth that another race does worse than Europeans that's racist.

Socio-economic reasons are more likely.
maybe they're just not interested
Original post by Ajibola
Socio-economic reasons are more likely.

I don't think you can easily boost your IQ by going to a good school. There's brain training techniques but I don't think which school you go to affects your IQ.
Original post by + polarity -

This.

While there is evidence to back up an IQ differential between some races, a quiz show requires the one thing that doesn't really get tested for on IQ: memory. In fact studies suggest that blacks outperform whites in scores of working memory, though I have no idea if there are any differences in long term memory.
Reply 15
It's all because of IQ.

Get back to stormfront
Original post by JJXX212
South Africa?

Well played...
Original post by CryptoidAlien

Africa is quite an ethnically diverse continent actually. Take Algeria for instance, they have Arabs, black people and white people who all consider themselves Algerian.

I don't know if you've ever been to Africa but it's certainly not just black people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tengentoppa
Africa is quite an ethnically diverse country actually. Take Algeria for instance, they have Arabs, black people and white people who all consider themselves Algerian.

I don't know if you've ever been to Africa but it's certainly not just black people.

Africa isn't a country :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending