The Student Room Group

Medieval Studies

I am enrolled to do a Medieval Studies degree (starting very soon)

The constant mocking I have received has really gotten to me, and I am very scared of the job prospects (if any) after it..

Can anyone enlighten me as to what job prospects, if there are any, are involved with medieval studies?

I have checked the 'prospect' website btw. I am very interesting in historic building conservation, could this course help in this career route in any way?

Any advice is awesome!! :biggrin:
It's a mickey mouse degree so I would understand why, I'm just going to keep it real and say your job prospects are really low, infact someone with a history degree could do the job you described. Sometimes people mocking you is an indicator that you are doing something wrong.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I have to tell you the truth, so sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by RotatingPhasor
It's a mickey mouse degree so I would understand why, I'm just going to keep it real and say your job prospects are really low, infact someone with a history degree could do the job you described. Sometimes people mocking you is an indicator that you are doing something wrong.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but I have to tell you the truth, so sorry.

Don't be sorry dude, I asked for advice!!

There's a chance that I may have gotten a place in a local university to me (Swansea) to do building surveying. Do you think building surveying has more job prospects then, than medieval studies?

And in particular, better chance of getting a job in historic buildings?

Reply 3
Original post by klaksd

The constant mocking I have received has really gotten to me, and I am very scared of the job prospects (if any) after it..

Can anyone enlighten me as to what job prospects, if there are any, are involved with medieval studies?

I have checked the 'prospect' website btw. I am very interesting in historic building conservation, could this course help in this career route in any way?

For anything that you just need a degree for, it'll be as good as anything else.
If you're looking to get into historic building conservation you'll need a qualification related to that specifically, but according to http://www.ihbc.org.uk/ed_train/recognised_courses/index.html they are mostly post-grad. Looking at a few of them, the entry requirements seem to generally just be a 2:1 or a 1st degree. Medieval studies would be fine for that.

You're probably best off doing a degree that you will enjoy at a good university, and you may well be able to link building conservation to your dissertation somehow.
Original post by klaksd

You obviously chose this course for a reason. Those who mock you are in the wrong. It's your life. I think as long as you're passionate about what you study and take advantage of making job contacts, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RotatingPhasor
It's a mickey mouse degree

This is utter rubbish so ignore it.

History grads (of all sorts) are widely employable, and in areas that often have nothing to do with their degree subject - they don't all end up in teaching or 'working in a museum'.

Useful advice and reassurance :

http://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/schoolofhumanities/history/careerswithyourhistorydegree/whatmakeshistorygraduatesemployable/

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/jul/19/highereducation.workandcareers

Heaps of jobs in Conservation of Historic Buildings - you'll probably need a relevant Masters degree once you've done your undergrad, and some work experience (volunteer work with the National Trust, English Heritage etc would be a good start).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by klaksd

It really depends on what you want to do with such a degree, obviously if you wanted a job to do with archaeology, museum studies or art history (which medieval building conservation broadly falls under, in many overlapping respects) you will likely have to go farther with your studies (to an MA or Mst. program for example) at a reputable Uni. or some sort of apprenticeship to secure a job with that sort of speciality. As someone who plans to get a PhD. in Medieval History with a specialization in Germanic folklore, I can say that there are alot of people who aren't afraid to persue such "Mickey Mouse degrees" (and agreed that statement is total garbage) and there are opportunies within the historical community if you are willing to work for them.

So plan well and if you do have a job in mind at the end of this degree, you should contact someone already doing this sort of job or someone within one of departments of the Unis you're considering for advice, it's never too early to start making connections!
Genuinely didn't know there was such a thing as a medieval studies degree............
As someone who studies ancient and medieval history, I can safely say my prospects are a LOT better than if I had done medicine or law.

The reason being, if I'd have done those I'd have failed in the first round of exams and dropped out. Sometimes its best to stick with what you're good at and what you enjoy. The difficulty of finding a job is more than countered by the difficulty in getting ahead in ridiculously competitive fields like STEM and the latter two subjects unless you are lucky enough to be gifted at them. And depending on the uni, Medieval Studies can actually be more useful than history because it's more focussed and involves more rounded study with language learning and such things incorporated.
(edited 9 years ago)
It ISNT a mickey-mouse degree!

Any History degree is valuable - and employers in all areas love History grads. This is one of the reasons its such a popular degree!

Read the chunk in this about Career Prospects : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending