The Student Room Group

DSA Equipment HELP

I have been recommended a MacBook Pro, they retail at £1k ish...
When I receive the laptop, can i sell it to buy a windows laptop with a greater Spec for the same price? Can I sell my DSA Laptop?

Better still, before i commit to receiving the macbook pro can i mention i have found a windows laptop with a greater spec and buy that one instead ? It is an MSI laptop, will this effect the process?

I have found an MSI laptop with nearly twice as good specs as the macbook pro and its the same price and i know ill get more use out of it, but its not provided by any suppliers. what should i do?

Receive the macbook and sell it ? for the MSI.

Thankyou Everyone
If you sell it anything else you buy will not have the 3 year warranty you get off DSA
Reply 2
But it's not against the law to sell it ? i just don't get the perks of them paying for the warrantee?
Not quite sure what that last sentence means!
However my lap top was replaced after a couple of years when it got faulty.
That is the "perk" of a warranty!
Reply 4
Thankyou Balotelli :smile:

Just to clarify is it okay to sell a laptop issued by DSA ? not for money but to buy a different laptop maybe?
legal?
Reply 5
If you drop out before your course finishes you have to give it back so I wouldn't recommend it. However you can phone the supplier they recommended and pay the difference in price and they can supply that one (or if it matches)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kumori
If you drop out before your course finishes you have to give it back so I wouldn't recommend it. However you can phone the supplier they recommended and pay the difference in price and they can supply that one (or if it matches)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to give your laptop back if you drop out. I didn't.

Going to move this to disabled student forum.
Original post by kumori

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true
Reply 8
Original post by kumori

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, this statement is wrong. There is no mechanism to return equipment with DSA. However, if you are provided equipment before a course starts and then fail to start a course, then student finance may put the cost of the equipment down as an overpayment on your loan, so you have to pay it back. Equipment itself cannot be returned in this circumstance.
Reply 9
Original post by NJones
No, this statement is wrong. There is no mechanism to return equipment with DSA. However, if you are provided equipment before a course starts and then fail to start a course, then student finance may put the cost of the equipment down as an overpayment on your loan, so you have to pay it back. Equipment itself cannot be returned in this circumstance.

Well the people that assessed me told me that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want a better laptop you can just pay your supplier the extra cash to get a better one, I didnt accept a laptop offer as they explained at best i could get a low spec windows one worth under 400 pounds and my current laptop is much better spec so just had the software put on it.

Basically say you want an upgrade and then give them the cash for it, rather than trying to sell the one they give you or just say you d rather not have a mac system and want a windows laptop, any software is cheaper for windows so they will likely be happy to swap it.
Original post by kumori

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's nothing to do with them, they just make recommendations to DSA, not administer it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got denied for DSA
Reply 13
Original post by kumori

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am an assessor too. We're supposed to inform all students of the implications of the DSA regulations not mislead them. It sounds like your assessor has some catching up to do.
Original post by NJones
I am an assessor too. We're supposed to inform all students of the implications of the DSA regulations not mislead them. It sounds like your assessor has some catching up to do.

I don't think I was ever told by my assessor. I only know because I'd emailed the DSA team.

Quick Reply

Latest