The Student Room Group

Why do most women still expect men to initiate everything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoflower

Anyway, average looking men have it easier than average women because women don't care as much about looks. I always see ugly men with pretty women.

:smile:

And vice versa. Stop generalising.
Reply 61
Well I'm 17. Guys at the age of 17 care about looks, thats just the way it is.

Also I'm not better looking than I think. I'm very aware of how I look. I'm not saying I'm ugly but if anyone was to find me attractive then that would make me unconventionally pretty...

Anyway, average looking men have it easier than average women because women don't care as much about looks. I always see ugly men with pretty women.

:smile:

Stop generalising - there are some shallow guys and just as many shallow girls. Personally, I don't really care about looks - in fact the prettier you are the less likely I am to approach. Plus, from what I've seen in my area - the pretty ones are evil, manipulative people (totally not because I always fix their computer)
Original post by Blackshadow
And vice versa. Stop generalising.

What? Sometimes you have to genarialise to make a point. Some things generally are true.. which little exceptions to the rule.

Sorry if you don't agree but average looking men have it easier than average looking women. As sadly in society a womans value is in her looks.
Isn't it just a supply/demand situation. Women are picky about who they date (even the ones that aren't attractive), but men seem to be less picky, especially when just looking for sex. Thus the number of men wanting women outnumbers the women wanting men, so men will always be the ones chasing.
What? Sometimes you have to genarialise to make a point. Some things generally are true.. which little exceptions to the rule.

Sorry if you don't agree but average looking men have it easier than average looking women. As sadly in society a womans value is in her looks.

This is your opinion probably based on observation. Unless you carry out a study based on a large enough sample size your claim is simply not true.
Original post by Andy98
Stop generalising - there are some shallow guys and just as many shallow girls. Personally, I don't really care about looks - in fact the prettier you are the less likely I am to approach. Plus, from what I've seen in my area - the pretty ones are evil, manipulative people (totally not because I always fix their computer)

I'm just saying in general that is true, a womans value is her looks in society.

true, the meanest girls in school were stunning.
Original post by Blackshadow
This is your opinion probably based on observation. Unless you carry out a study based on a large enough sample size your claim is simply not true.

Okay. Well most people would agree with me.
I actually get really shy when I really like someone so I end up waiting for them which isn't good because they probably have no idea and then nothing will happen. If I could ask someone straight up if they will go out then I would, but again, I'm the most socially awkward person you'll ever meet :biggrin:
Reply 68
I'm just saying in general that is true, a womans value is her looks in society.

true, the meanest girls in school were stunning.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick - men look at pretty girls and think "WOW - she's hot" - however most guys don't go for them, and those that do are generally pillocks - "the school bully"
Original post by Andy98
I think you have the wrong end of the stick - men look at pretty girls and think "WOW - she's hot" - however most guys don't go for them, and those that do are generally pillocks - "the school bully"

I guess but I'm in year 12 currently... and I notice that that average/quite pretty girls don't get as much attention as the super pretty (perfect body and face) girls. Even the average guys like them.

I'm not too bothered about this now, I don't want a boyfriend.. lol want to focus on A-levels.
Reply 70
I guess but I'm in year 12 currently... and I notice that that average/quite pretty girls don't get as much attention as the super pretty (perfect body and face) girls. Even the average guys like them.

I'm not too bothered about this now, I don't want a boyfriend.. lol want to focus on A-levels.

How old do you think I am?:eek:

Like I said: we look.
Original post by Andy98
How old do you think I am?:eek:

Like I said: we look.

lol well i'm guessing 16 since your name has 98
Reply 72
lol well i'm guessing 16 since your name has 98

Good - For a moment I thought you thought I was older
Original post by Andy98
Good - For a moment I thought you thought I was older

haha, well its good we are about the same age as I can value your opinion more on this topic
Original post by Libbybaloo
I actually get really shy when I really like someone so I end up waiting for them which isn't good because they probably have no idea and then nothing will happen. If I could ask someone straight up if they will go out then I would, but again, I'm the most socially awkward person you'll ever meet :biggrin:

This is why I don't really care about about any double standards. I prefer the sense of agency of actually trying to initiate something myself. I can't think of anything more stupid than just doing nothing hoping the person you like will ask you out. So even if I was a women I would still ask people out. I also think these market analogies are to simplistic and sterile. Plus I can deal with feeling sorry for myself after rejection, I don't really want to have to feel bad for rejecting someone else and hurting their feelings. Basically I;m better at dealing with self pitty than I am at guilt :tongue:

Also if a women is going to be put off when a guy she likes doesn't ask her out after giving off a load of 'signals', well I wouldn't want anything to do with her as she sounds like an idiot.

But I'm not exactly successful at this stuff so what do I know?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 75
haha, well its good we are about the same age as I can value your opinion more on this topic

Yup
So what I'm gathering from this is that most women are cowards???? They're scared of rejection,but rather than overcome this (like most men do), they sit back and wait. I dunno man, this sort of thing would've made more sense in the 50s. Sucks to be a guy sometimes. #ThisIsMalePrivilege
Original post by ferinahrt
Women are treasure. Treasure don't do hunting.
Once you own it, she is your treasure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

until she divorces you and takes away your actual treasure. money and children.
Original post by CandyKoRn
Men tend to like to do the chasing, they like to 'earn' it. It has always been like this, across various cultures, through out history.

That's a very general comment, and from my experience personally and from my friends this really isn't the case. Most people I know would be perfectly happy to be asked out rather than always ask other people out.
Original post by Andy98

I've read some odd comments on here, but that is definitely up there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending