The Student Room Group

Why do most women still expect men to initiate everything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vortex_199
If you have enough eligible guys actively pursuing you, why bother risk rejection?

Maybe all men should band together and just refuse to initiate anything, ever. Women will then ache for companionship and motherhood, leaving them no choice but to take up the role.
Or the human race will die out. Whichever first, I guess.
Reply 101
Original post by obidobi
Why do you expect the guy to ask you out, come up with great date ideas, call back after, propose and so on? In a world where women are the de facto leaders of the EU, the person with best odds to be the next US president, the chair of the US federal reserve, the head of the IMF, the president of the largest economy in the latin world, the CEO's of GM, Pepsi, Lockheed Martin, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Xerox not to mention young women making more money than young men across the UK and the US. And yet so few girls understand that it is not the guy's duty to utter those 6 magic words: ''Will you go out with me?'' What's up with that?

Interesting question.
I think from a girl's perspective it's nice to have a man who has the confidence to ask her out and risk rejection. Though equally I can see that it would be nice for a chap to be asked out by a girl... I think I'd have to be absolutely convinced they liked me before doing so!!
Perhaps biologically men do the chasing so it's kind of a given that they should be the ones doing the asking.
However as far as date ideas go, once you're actually together I think its a joint thing - and I wouldn't expect a guy to pay for everything for me - thats ridiculous if you're on about the same wage - though it is a nice gesture, and something which I would reciprocate. Though some guys genuinely like paying for girls - I think its a male pride thing and I'm certainly not going to object to that!
Proposals - I've discussed this with my current boyf and he said that he would be happy to be proposed too rather than the other way round, but he did say he 'would've thought I would prefer to be proposed to' haha which is probably right... Either way I would hope it would happen when we were both totally ready aka quite a long time away :tongue:
Original post by incognito.j2
:cry2:That made me cry inside.

Oh well. thats life for me sadly ..
Original post by xoflower
Oh well. thats life for me sadly ..

Ok then.:cool:
Reply 104
Original post by incognito.j2
:cry2:That made me cry inside.

Let me tell you a secret... most girls and guys as a matter of fact - inside are not confident with 1% of what they have and what they are... but.. and here is the secret.. you fake it till you make. You walk into a meeting like you have 3 balls.. then you will mentally own that meeting. You keep telling yourself ' I am not confident' - well it will show in the way you walk, talk and act and mentally you will think you can't do anything. Why did our parents tell us to reach for the sky? why did they tell us that we can do anything we set our minds too - to teach us that we should never settle - we push ourselves to do whatever we want and hopefully we will get it. If we don't - that doesn't mean defeat it just means that specific thing wasn't meant to be?! Get over it and move on.

PM - I'll instill confidence into you - you will walk up to Brad Pitt and make him dump his 5 kids and gorg wife just for your sizzling A***!

Case closed.
Reply 105
Original post by xoflower
I guess but I'm in year 12 currently... and I notice that that average/quite pretty girls don't get as much attention as the super pretty (perfect body and face) girls. Even the average guys like them.

I'm not too bothered about this now, I don't want a boyfriend.. lol want to focus on A-levels.

Good job! Focus on your A-Levels and succeed in your life. Live your life and when it happens it happens.

Trust me - men ain't all that great. And true love should come naturally.
Original post by Sakk89
Good job! Focus on your A-Levels and succeed in your life. Live your life and when it happens it happens.

Trust me - men ain't all that great. And true love should come naturally.

Yep education is far more important right now! :smile:
For me, I like masculine and confident guys. I make it obvious that I want to be approached by them, smile etc, however I will wait for them to do so. If they don't they were either taken, didn't like the look of me, or were shy , if so, I wouldn't be interested in them anyway.

I like a guy to take charge. I'm a pretty domineering female and a go getter, therefore some guys tend to become intimidated and emasculated by it. From my experience, they LIKE being the provider and being depended on, and they LIKE looking out for me, checking I got home safely etc.

I am not a feminist. I believe that men and women can be seen perhaps at being equal in some situations, but not all. It is a fact that there are some things men can do better than women (physical activities), woman can do better than men (emotive things). Until men can start giving birth, and women grow balls, they will not be equal.

I'm sick of these little boys playing the "women are equal to men" card to make excuses for not having the damn balls to initiate anything. Other guys who still do have balls, will overtake you and ask out those girls who you want, so don't complain if this happens.

Tbh, guys, you don't have to initiate everything. You don't need to initiate anything, but when you end up still single at the age of 40, waiting around for a woman to ask you out, just remember this thread.
Original post by stargirl63

I like a guy to take charge. I'm a pretty domineering female and a go getter, therefore some guys tend to become intimidated and emasculated by it. From my experience, they LIKE being the provider and being depended on, and they LIKE looking out for me, checking I got home safely etc.

It's more I don't want to spend the rest of my life with someone like that. Anyone who is domineering is annoying.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It's more I don't want to spend the rest of my life with someone like that. Anyone who is domineering is annoying.

Tbh, if you want a female to approach you, then she has to be pretty confident (I'm not sure how big of an overlap the domineering part would be) but there will definitely be some sort of aspect there, big or small.

If you want a timid, shy female, then be prepared to do the chasing.

If you want a timid female who will also approach you - you're probably going to be single, unless you step up to her first.
Tbh, if you want a female to approach you, then she has to be pretty confident (I'm not sure how big of an overlap the domineering part would be) but there will definitely be some sort of aspect there, big or small.

If you want a timid female who will also approach you - you're probably going to be single, unless you step up to her first.

I've only ever been the one doing the asking. It doesn't bother me at all.

I don't expect them to be submissive to me either. I don't really know what I want, but a domineering person is not it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 111

There's a difference between being domineering and timid though. The whole reason men do the chasing (for a relationship, I've seen girls approach guys in a club and had it happen to me) is because it's an old tradition that women are happy to leave the same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
So many butt-hurt guys on this thread...
not naming any particular names - you know who you are
Reply 113

I'm sick of these little boys playing the "women are equal to men" card to make excuses for not having the damn balls to initiate anything. Other guys who still do have balls, will overtake you and ask out those girls who you want, so don't complain if this happens.

I know what you're saying. I'm personally also sick of these little girls playing the "women are different to men" card to make excuses for not having the damn balls to initiate anything. Other girls who aren't entitled little princesses will overtake you and ask out those guys who you want, so don't complain if this happens.
For me, I like masculine and confident guys. I make it obvious that I want to be approached by them, smile etc, however I will wait for them to do so. If they don't they were either taken, didn't like the look of me, or were shy , if so, I wouldn't be interested in them anyway.

I am not a feminist. I believe that men and women can be seen perhaps at being equal in some situations, but not all. It is a fact that there are some things men can do better than women (physical activities), woman can do better than men (emotive things). Until men can start giving birth, and women grow balls, they will not be equal.

Tbh, guys, you don't have to initiate everything. You don't need to initiate anything, but when you end up still single at the age of 40, waiting around for a woman to ask you out, just remember this thread.

The argument you make runs both ways - should the timid archetype of a girl then have no right to complain when the bolder girls are asking guys out and getting dates?

The final paragraph assumes that the conditions affecting women's dating behaviour remain constant with time, which doesn't quite hold up. Guys' attractiveness to women tends to increase between the ages of 20-30, whilst the same cannot be said for women. There are many attractive career women who realise at 28 that they have to settle at some point, and from that point onwards men find themselves being approached a good deal more.
Original post by ilem
I know what you're saying. I'm personally also sick of these little girls playing the "women are different to men" card to make excuses for not having the damn balls to initiate anything. Other girls who aren't entitled little princesses will overtake you and ask out those guys who you want, so don't complain if this happens.

Original post by TurboCretin
The argument you make runs both ways - should the timid archetype of a girl then have no right to complain when the bolder girls are asking guys out and getting dates?

The final paragraph assumes that the conditions affecting women's dating behaviour remain constant with time, which doesn't quite hold up. Guys' attractiveness to women tends to increase between the ages of 20-30, whilst the same cannot be said for women. There are many attractive career women who realise at 28 that they have to settle at some point, and from that point onwards men find themselves being approached a good deal more.

I like guys with confidence, guys with that certain air of owning the room when they walk in, those who "are good and they know it" type of guys. It's a huge turn on for me. I'm a confident person and so would initiate a lot afterwards (second, third date etc) it's literally move number 1, which I would want that guy to give.

I understand what you're both saying but the thing is, if a guy doesn't have the balls to approach me, it wouldn't work anyway, and therefore, no I wouldn't want him. So this would be irrelevant, but thanks for your comments.
Women have been brought up in such a way to expect men to always make the first move, because if they do, they're desperate and needy.
It's traditional??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending