The Student Room Group

Why do most women still expect men to initiate everything?

Why do you expect the guy to ask you out, come up with great date ideas, call back after, propose and so on? In a world where women are the de facto leaders of the EU, the person with best odds to be the next US president, the chair of the US federal reserve, the head of the IMF, the president of the largest economy in the latin world, the CEO's of GM, Pepsi, Lockheed Martin, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Xerox not to mention young women making more money than young men across the UK and the US. And yet so few girls understand that it is not the guy's duty to utter those 6 magic words: ''Will you go out with me?'' What's up with that?

Scroll to see replies

That is quite a list of women's achievements! I suppose many women prefer/ are used to the mainstream traditional concept of the man initiating courtship first, and in being so are too shy or reserved to approach first themselves.

Both my partner and I had never known anyone romantically prior to meeting each other, and so we were both initially a little unsure as to how to proceed. We generally took turns to initiate contact, even though my partner has always preferred to be the traditional 'gentleman' in paying for dinners, holidays and gifts etc. However, he has become increasingly open to the idea of us 'going Dutch' with things, mainly because we don't have much money, so most costs are shared equally :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Women are treasure. Treasure don't do hunting.
Once you own it, she is your treasure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ferinahrt

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's a rather bizarre analogy...
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignoring the objectification, that statement still makes no sense. Women are treasure?
Reply 5
Reply 6
I think it's romantic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's nice to do so? Girls are more emotional than guys? :s-smilie:
Old traditions die hard I suppose, although from my experience it's becoming a less common mentality - I know plenty of girls who have/are actively pursuing guys.
Original post by obidobi
Why do you expect the guy to ask you out, come up with great date ideas, call back after, propose and so on? In a world where women are the de facto leaders of the EU, the person with best odds to be the next US president, the chair of the US federal reserve, the head of the IMF, the president of the largest economy in the latin world, the CEO's of GM, Pepsi, Lockheed Martin, IBM, Hewlett-Packard and Xerox not to mention young women making more money than young men across the UK and the US. And yet so few girls understand that it is not the guy's duty to utter those 6 magic words: ''Will you go out with me?'' What's up with that?

When I've been direct with guys in the past, they really haven't liked it :confused:

Like, it puts them off you completely because you're questioning their masculinity or something. Or they just think you're too bossy or high maintenance.
because I'm shy and fear rejection
If you have enough eligible guys actively pursuing you, why bother risk rejection?

Maybe all men should band together and just refuse to initiate anything, ever. Women will then ache for companionship and motherhood, leaving them no choice but to take up the role.
Reply 12
Just another area where women are happy to have old fashioned traditions apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I can.
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

And yet they complain on being treated as an object.
Are you sure it's women in general, or are you just quite unsuccessful with relationships?
Original post by kkboyk
And yet they complain on being treated as an object.

Why would you even want to objectify any person lol. That's just wrong. Also just because one person says that women are treasure (possibly even a guy said this) doesn't mean you have to generalise hon
Reply 17
Original post by buzzybee143
Why would you even want to objectify any person lol. That's just wrong. Also just because one person says that women are treasure (possibly even a guy said this) doesn't mean you have to generalise hon

Who said I'm generalizing and I'm not objectifying a person.
nah sorry, but when it comes to romance i'm old-fashioned. I prefer guys to do the chasing/initiating etc..
Reply 19
Original post by moonriver96
nah sorry, but when it comes to romance i'm old-fashioned. I prefer guys to do the chasing/initiating etc..

That's all good if you're old fashioned about a woman's role as well (cooking, cleaning, spreading legs on command and so on). Equality isn't a buffet you can choose your fav bits from. You gotta eat the whole plate, veggies and all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending