The Student Room Group

How to get my own wifi in halls?

Hi,

I wondered if anyone knew how they could get wifi only in halls of residence. There don't appear to be any rules against it. I'm having problems with the halls' own wireless, so am trying to think of alternatives. Also, the halls wireless won't let me connect my air printer to its access point.

So, basically - how can I get wifi that will accept air printers the cheapest way possible?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Juxtapose
Hi,

I wondered if anyone knew how they could get wifi only in halls of residence. There don't appear to be any rules against it. I'm having problems with the halls' own wireless, so am trying to think of alternatives. Also, the halls wireless won't let me connect my air printer to its access point.

So, basically - how can I get wifi that will accept air printers the cheapest way possible?

Thanks

Probably a mobile wifi solution. Would handle basic stuff ok. Look at 3 and EE they generally have the best signal, but you'd probably pay a fair amount for not that much data.
There's various software available that you can use to turn your computer into a WiFi hotspot.
Original post by Juxtapose
Hi,

Thanks

You could see if the printer can be connected to an ad-hoc network from your computer, it probably won't be able to connect to the halls wifi because of security reasons. Or just connect it with a cable which is probably easier, and if you're just living in one room there aren't really any advantages to wifi printing.
Reply 4
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending