The Student Room Group

Can I get into Cambridge to do medicine with 5A*s at GCSE?

I did 10 GCSEs (maths, triple science, english, german and history were IGCSE) and got:

Maths - A*
English lang - A
English lit - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A*
Biology - A*
German - A
History - A*
Geography - B
Art - A
FSMQ - E

I am getting a remark for eng lang, german and geography as I was one mark off the next grade for all three :frown:. I would like to do medicine preferably at Cambridge but feel like I have very little chance now. Do you know if it's worth even considering Cambridge? Do you know any unis that will still offer me a place with these results (especially with A in chemistry)? I feel disappointed with my results but also suffer from an illness so I know I did well in all the pain but I really would love to know if there is a possibility of me going to a good uni (with lots of work experience and good grades at AS and A2 maybe?)
There are loads of threads like this, have you searched them. There are usually entry statistics for medicine at Cambridge.
Sorry but I think not... most Cambridge people have 10A*s+ that get in and they won't like the B or the E you got; remember it's the most academic university in the whole of the UK (maybe the world?) you have to be at the top of your school sort of thing to get in... sorry to sound harsh. :frown: Hope your remarks go up!
Reply 3
It's possible, but you would be below average for the applicant population. Cambridge places far more emphasis on AS UMS though, so if you score highly in those and you really like the place, it's worth a shot!
Yes totally possible, work hard for as and revise loads for ukcat and you will be swell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get great AS UMS - at least 92 average, ideally closer to 95 - and maybe.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation_2013.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by Padster222
Yes totally possible, work hard for as and revise loads for ukcat and you will be swell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How will a good UKCAT score help with a Cambridge application?
Original post by Padster222

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge use the BMAT not the UKCAT
Original post by lilixxx1000
Cambridge use the BMAT not the UKCAT

Whatever same thing. Don't kno scoring of it though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by WishIHadRevised
Sorry but I think not... most Cambridge people have 10A*s+ that get in and they won't like the B or the E you got; remember it's the most academic university in the whole of the UK (maybe the world?) you have to be at the top of your school sort of thing to get in... sorry to sound harsh. :frown: Hope your remarks go up!

Yeh i totally get where you're coming from the E is in an AS level paper that they made us do at the same time as GCSEs and were totally rushed but even the E gives UCAS points. I hope so too!
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
How will a good UKCAT score help with a Cambridge application?

Thanks haha i have a tiny bit of hope.
Reply 11
Does anyone know of any good unis that it's worth me looking into that i can get in easier with these grades preferabally in London? Thank you for all your replies :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Helenia
It's possible, but you would be below average for the applicant population. Cambridge places far more emphasis on AS UMS though, so if you score highly in those and you really like the place, it's worth a shot!

Thanks is the A in chemistry a very big disadvantage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending