The Student Room Group

"Depression Can Never Be Cured" - True Or False?

I have suffered from severe depression for the past few years, and while I can certainly tell that this isn't just something that will "go away on its own," I for one am sick of all the apparent "opinions" out there that "depression never really goes away - it can get better, but it stays with you for life."

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but for my part I have had some very serious life events (abusive family/having to leave uni/bullied constantly) that have contributed in no small part to my depression. Even if I'm out of my current situation for a day, to visit a friend or something, I often feel perfectly normal. Myself, I think that if I could fix all my problems like my career and get back on my feet, I would never be depressed (clinically so, not just feeling sad) again.

So why do people constantly peddle this idea that "depression never entirely goes away?" It's pessimistic and unhelpful. Especially given that a lot of people who are depressed go on to commit suicide because they feel hopeless, I feel this is a stupid message to send out.

Is there actually any medical basis for this or is it a load of hot air?

Scroll to see replies

Depression is something which is not impossible to cure, it's just extremely difficult to treat.
Coming from a person who still lives with suicidal thoughts, treatment has to be adjusted at the correct angles.
Depression is hard :/
And yes, I completely agree with you that depression does stay with you for life.
Sort of agree.

Even if you won a billion pounds, and lived a dream lifestyle, in whatever country you wanted,
depression would still be nagging you at the back of your mind.
I think it's kind of like asthma, where you can be symptom free for long periods of time but it never really 'goes away'. I guess if you have a period of minor depression you can be 'cured' of it as its not something chronic and is unlikely to ever surface again. Major depressive disorder is classed as a mood disorder, and as far as I know mood disorders (like many other things in psychiatry) don't have cures, but rather methods of keeping the symptoms at bay.
I think, everyone goes through sadness at some point, but, people who, like us, have depression, we are on the outside of the tolerance scale (can't remember what the graph was, my counselor showed me it) I thought I was rid of it, but it came back even harder. I don't think there is a cure, even if I do have everything that I need to help me and fix my problems, and even though, (and I appreciate everything I have) I have a lot going for me, I'm not happy in the slightest (past issues).

I think it depends on each person individually though?

I don't think it helps when people come out with comments like, "Stop being so sad, you have A,B,C.." "Just take up a hobby" "don't worry" "others have it worse"

It just irritates me and there is still such a stigma attached to mental health problems, I just feel embarrassed talking about it when people ask what's wrong, so I just don't bother talking to people a lot :frown:
I'm going false cos true is to depressing to think about.
Original post by LadyEcliptic

I just feel embarrassed talking about it when people ask what's wrong, so I just don't bother talking to people a lot :frown:

I'm fairly sure I don't have depression but I completely agree with this. I worry about everything so much, especially when it is to do with social interaction. I feel like no one understands and I don't knwo whether I am normal or not :s-smilie:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm fairly sure I don't have depression but I completely agree with this. I worry about everything so much, especially when it is to do with social interaction. I feel like no one understands and I don't knwo whether I am normal or not :s-smilie:

I'm the exact same so I am, it got better when I took up volunteering with young people as it forced me to talk, but I'm reverting back to it :/ I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been there and still am at the moment,so if you need to talk :hugs:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I'm the exact same so I am, it got better when I took up volunteering with young people as it forced me to talk, but I'm reverting back to it :/ I don't know exactly how you feel, but I've been there and still am at the moment,so if you need to talk :hugs:

I may hold you up on that during my next crisis :tongue:

You have been warned.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I may hold you up on that during my next crisis :tongue:

You have been warned.

Don't worry about it :tongue: Just rant away :smile:
I don't think it stays forever and that is dangerous, because otherwise therapy would be useless and some people would allways be happy, no matter how badly life affects them and that is illogic. Of course some mental illnesses - as depression can have many reasons and is not allways the primary diagnosis or unipolar or... - are worse than others, but that doesn't mean, every depression will be reaccuring, as it totally depends on what caused depression.

In my eyes it is also unfair, because it minimizes e.g. the chances to find work (because someone who gets depressed one time will get depressed multiple times) and just subsumizes every case of depression under one umbrella.
Reply 11
Don't worry, depression can be treated. There isn't one cure, and you may have to try several different therapies/ treatments before you find one (or more) that you find effective, but it will get better. There is a very effective therapy called cognitive behavior therapy, and I would suggest that you try to get yourself referred for that.
There are also several voluntary organizations that work with people with mental illnesses, and they can be very reassuring, if only because you meet other people with mental illnesses. I cannot claim to have a magic cure for depression, but go to your GP and talk to him/ her for further information. Try to access all the support you can, and remember that things will get better.
Reply 12
The only thing I could say is that getting help to deal with the symptoms is the best thing you could do. It might not go away completely but at least you're taking the first steps to recovery. I've been depressed for over a year and a half now and I've only just managed to go to the doctors about it. Since then, I've been feeling a lot better. Sure, there are times when I drop (just this week actually) but it does get better.
I agree with the claim that it never goes away. Personally, I have suffered on and off from depression and suicidal thoughts since 2008.

However, it may not necessarily be the case for everyone. Depression is a very individual illness, and although it does have common signs and symptoms, it affects people in different ways.
people put this idea forth for most mental illnesses and I hate it, it makes people who are sick feel like there's no point trying and it makes people who are doing okay but having a tough time feel like they should give up and accept the inevitable...we don't understand mental illness well, we don't understand what causes it, what cures it, prognosis etc... and yes, a lot of mental health conditions have a fairly poor prognosis after you have had several 'episodes' or suffered for a long time but it is FAR from hopeless

personally I think that some people will probably have a life long susceptability, in the same way as some people might not have strong immune systems and get more colds... you won't be sick forever, you can learn positive behaviour management stategies and learn how to cope in a way that doesn't allow your mental health to get in the way, I recently went through a horribly stressful time and yet my depression did not reoccur, I have now been years without an episode and have been through a lot in that time, I understand that I will probably always be a little more vulnerable than your average joe on the street but that doesn't mean depression will never leave me and I'm sorry but it has taken a hell of a lot to get where I am and I hate it when people try and take that away from me by saying I will always be sick
I don't think there's a universal definition of 'cured'.

Some people want stability, others want happiness. Some people just want to function in an environment you'd consider hellish.
Reply 16
Original post by snowyowl
Depression is a very individual illness, and although it does have common signs and symptoms, it affects people in different ways.

I agree with the last anon, different people will have different definitions of 'cured' or 'success' when it comes to depression so you can only rely on your own definition to see if you are alright.
Original post by doodle_333
people put this idea forth for most mental illnesses and I hate it, it makes people who are sick feel like there's no point trying and it makes people who are doing okay but having a tough time feel like they should give up and accept the inevitable...we don't understand mental illness well, we don't understand what causes it, what cures it, prognosis etc... and yes, a lot of mental health conditions have a fairly poor prognosis after you have had several 'episodes' or suffered for a long time but it is FAR from hopeless

Exactly! I agree - the atitude that "it will never get better" does people zero favours.

personally I think that some people will probably have a life long susceptability, in the same way as some people might not have strong immune systems and get more colds... you won't be sick forever, you can learn positive behaviour management stategies and learn how to cope in a way that doesn't allow your mental health to get in the way, I recently went through a horribly stressful time and yet my depression did not reoccur, I have now been years without an episode and have been through a lot in that time, I understand that I will probably always be a little more vulnerable than your average joe on the street but that doesn't mean depression will never leave me and I'm sorry but it has taken a hell of a lot to get where I am and I hate it when people try and take that away from me by saying I will always be sick

Sorry to hear that you went through a stressful time :frown: :hugs: Yeah, I'm sick of people saying that "it'll always be like that." It feels like they are trying to put you down. Even doctors.
Reply 18
I've had 2 episodes of major depression - one when I was about 16 and one when I was 18 (both lasting for a year or so each). I put a lot of effort into getting better (yes, you do have to work at overcoming depression - it doesn't go away by itself), and I haven't felt depressed for about 3 years..

There are definitely people who are prone to getting depression - but that doesn't mean you have to live your whole life suffering.
Original post by Cinnie
(yes, you do have to work at overcoming depression - it doesn't go away by itself), .

Yes and no.

The very fact that depression can disappear overnight troubles a lot of people.

The only sweeping statement that can be made about depression is that it's ****.

Quick Reply

Latest