The Student Room Group

Retaking AS modules + applying to uni

so basically i flopped my AS levels and got BBDD (bio, history, chem and maths respectively). I want to apply to chemical engineering but i kno my predicted grades which are BCC (dropped history) are not enough to get into the courses that i want.

cos of that, im retaking some AS modules:
CHEM1
CHEM2
CHEM3(not sure if you can retake EMPAs)
maths C1 (might aswell grab as many UMS as i can)
C2
S1

apparently retaking maths doesnt require as much revision as all the work from C1/C2/S1 are used in A2 studies aswell.

im not retaking any bio modules as a high B is good enough and i cba to add a new subject to the fold.

i know i did bad cos i started revising soooo late, still had that GCSE mentality :facepalm:. i know i can do much better, in gcse i got 2A*s and 10As. i've started reviewing all the work that ive been doing as soon as possible which is something i never did in AS. i know i can handle the retakes but its the process after the retakes/A2 exams which im slightly confused about

so if i do really well and i get the grades do i take a gap year and reapply in 2016 or go through clearing, does anyone know if top unis participate in clearing especially for a degree course like chem eng?

1 more question, during the gap year do you have to restart your UCAS application or can you work on the one that you made during your college year??
I'm a bit confused, are you continuing on with A2 while doing these retakes or are you dropping out of college and retaking them separately? :s
Reply 2
Retaking with a2
Original post by corleone123
so basically i flopped my AS levels and got BBDD (bio, history, chem and maths respectively). I want to apply to chemical engineering but i kno my predicted grades which are BCC (dropped history) are not enough to get into the courses that i want.

cos of that, im retaking some AS modules:
CHEM1
CHEM2
CHEM3(not sure if you can retake EMPAs)
maths C1 (might aswell grab as many UMS as i can)
C2
S1

apparently retaking maths doesnt require as much revision as all the work from C1/C2/S1 are used in A2 studies aswell.

im not retaking any bio modules as a high B is good enough and i cba to add a new subject to the fold.

i know i did bad cos i started revising soooo late, still had that GCSE mentality :facepalm:. i know i can do much better, in gcse i got 2A*s and 10As. i've started reviewing all the work that ive been doing as soon as possible which is something i never did in AS. i know i can handle the retakes but its the process after the retakes/A2 exams which im slightly confused about

so if i do really well and i get the grades do i take a gap year and reapply in 2016 or go through clearing, does anyone know if top unis participate in clearing especially for a degree course like chem eng?

1 more question, during the gap year do you have to restart your UCAS application or can you work on the one that you made during your college year??

You could take a gap year if you want to, but depending on how many places are being offered relative to how many students are trying to fill them, I'd definitely look at getting a place as soon as possible.
I know for a fact unis such as Cambridge do offer places through clearing, as there is such high demand for them. Don't know about your course specifically though.
If you haven't already, have a chat with the course representatives from the universities that you are interested in :wink:

In terms of applying through UCAS, I think you can use the same account that you had prior to taking a gap year, as long as you have not already applied to unis on that account. But again, just give UCAS a call and ask.

Congratulations on getting it together though, and getting two B's is by no means a complete flop :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending