The Student Room Group

Smoking.

Hi i'm now starting a history degree at uni. I'm worried though about the long lectures. I normally smoke like every 40 minutes but obviously in lectures I won't be able to. What am I to do though as by the time a lecture is halfway over I will be craving a cigarette more than anything else. Has anyone else ever experienced this and how did you get through those lectures without nicotine?

Scroll to see replies

quit smoking maybe? or at least cut down?
If you are paying attention in the lecture, the time will fly by. But I do recommend at least cutting down. If you can't go either of them try chewing gum.
How did you cope at college with needing to smoke every 40 minutes? Classes are usually longer than that.
Start cutting down/quitting ASAP that's gonna be unbearable if you're constantly thinking of cigarettes in your lectures. :/ Plus it will improve your health too - bonus. :smile:
That's absolutely pathetic
Reply 6
Why is it pathetic? I need them they taste so good.
Reply 7
Original post by HillRisemum
Why is it pathetic? I need them they taste so good.

Taste. You're not eating them are you?? :tongue:
Reply 8
Every 40mins? Are you a chimney? :lolwut:
40 minutes wtf man
Reply 10
I'm proper addicted I can't help it
I'm proper addicted I can't help it

How long have you been smoking?
Deal with it.

/thread
Hi i'm now starting a history degree at uni. I'm worried though about the long lectures. I normally smoke like every 40 minutes but obviously in lectures I won't be able to. What am I to do though as by the time a lecture is halfway over I will be craving a cigarette more than anything else. Has anyone else ever experienced this and how did you get through those lectures without nicotine?

Maybe use E-cigs as an alternative inside the lecture if they are allowed? Or anywhere else inside the building i mean they should help with the craving especially the ones with high nicotine.
Reply 14
You wouldn't have much luck at my current uni. Lectures/seminars are a minimum 1 hour long, and even in 2 hour lectures there are some staff who don't give coffee/fag breaks.

In addition, uni regs are that you can't smoke within three metres of any uni building and they don't provide covered smoking areas. If you want to smoke on campus during bad weather, you'd be getting very wet and cold this winter.

Student Union focus on this issue is around helping smokers give up. Suggest that's the way to go. There are few students who can afford a full-on habit these days. Desperate dragging on skinny roll-ups at the bus stop is the order of the day!
What about trying those nicotine gum patches to help with craving but surely if you are paying attention in lecture time will fly by

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
How the hell do you get anything done having to take a smoke break every 40 minutes? That's insane.
I used to smoke 20-25 a day.

Then I started working for a company 9 hours a day with one 30 minute break, 5 days a week.

At first I badly craved a cigarette all morning, but now I'm in a routine of one cigarette before work, two on my lunch break and then I smoke in the evening.

If your work/lectures/career are important enough, you'll get over it.

I'm a smoker and even I think it's sad if you allow this to affect you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Buy nicotine gum/ wear nicotine patches?

Try and quit or cut down. If you're starting university soon cut down NOW so that you're used to it by the time lectures start. No one wants to be smoking every 40 minutes.
You can get suckable nicotine lozenge type sweets now in Boots. Ideal in exams :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending