The Student Room Group

Should I apply for 16-25 Rail Card or Student Oyster?

So I'll be starting my work placement in Central London this month. I'm not sure which is better to help minimize my travel costs: 18+ Student Oyster or 16-25 Rail Card?

I'll be traveling to Zone 1 from Zone 6 every week day. I assume that I'll be traveling during peak hours, possibly arrive in Zone 1 before 9am, and then back to Zone 6 again in the evening.

I understand that:
Option 1: 16-25 Railcard will give me 1/3 off all rail tickets (out of London included) and if I were to combine it with my Oyster Card this discount applies. (Admin fee at £30/year)

Option 2: 18+ Student oyster is only worth it if you're buying season travel tickets (travel within London only). (admin fee at £10)

I'm just not sure what's the best option in the long run, and I was hoping someone with experience can tell me.

I'm asking this because during my first year I applied for 18+ Student Oyster and it didn't help me at all because I only did Top Up and Go and didn't get any discount benefits except the usual 8.50 cap and can go up to £17/day cap if travel during peak hours.
18+ student oyster's discounts apply if you purchase season tickets (weekly/monthly/annual)

Feedback & advice much appreciated!!!!! <3
Reply 1
#1, get an 18+ Oyster card and its 30% off the weekly/ monthly travelcards. You should be doing that anyway, it'll save a lot. Consider travelling to a zone 2 station and taking a bus to whereever you need to do, you'll save even more. According to the Oyster 18+ website, having a ralcard adds a 4% bonus to that 30% discount. Not sure though.

See this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781834

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending