The Student Room Group

Physics or Chemistry?

Since AS I've been wondering whether to apply for Physics or Chemistry. I like them both, and I have enjoyed the AS year for both of them. I wanted to apply for Cambridge Natural Sciences, but my grades weren't up to par (89.8%). Is there any way of deciding, or is my interest conveyed through this?
I see myself going into research. I want to be at the forefront of the coming age, either developing medicines and messing with genetics or discovering the nature of the universe at the particle level. My favourite part of the AS was M1, but I found Chemistry to be really easy. I enjoyed naming and drawing chemicals, and found the pracitcals really fun. However, learning mechanisms was a little boring. In terms of chemistry, I really just want to make new drugs and make people live forever, and basically act out the stereotype (mad scientist with loads of explosions and flask etc).
Reply 1
Original post by xKKT
Since AS I've been wondering whether to apply for Physics or Chemistry. I like them both, and I have enjoyed the AS year for both of them. I wanted to apply for Cambridge Natural Sciences, but my grades weren't up to par (89.8%). Is there any way of deciding, or is my interest conveyed through this?
I see myself going into research. I want to be at the forefront of the coming age, either developing medicines and messing with genetics or discovering the nature of the universe at the particle level. My favourite part of the AS was M1, but I found Chemistry to be really easy. I enjoyed naming and drawing chemicals, and found the pracitcals really fun. However, learning mechanisms was a little boring. In terms of chemistry, I really just want to make new drugs and make people live forever, and basically act out the stereotype (mad scientist with loads of explosions and flask etc).

Well, for a start you could still apply to do NatSci if that's what you fancy - Durham, Bath, UCL, Birmingham(?) etc. all offer a course and your application is probably still very competitive even if the UMS isn't to Cambridge's desire.

For research, either would be alright. I would say though outside of research chemistry offers more opportunities in other areas. Physics applied in the real world tends to come under most branches of engineering, so it's not necessarily the preferred background. I don't know an awful lot about the physics research side though, but like everything I still suspect PhDs and the likes are still very competitive, although there are many funded places available in science. If you actually were a big fan of mechanics then have you looked into engineering? You'd have to explore a bit more about the after of it. PhD opportunities are still very much available with engineering, but I don't know if it would be in the areas you wanted.

In terms of chemistry, you'll do organic, inorganic, and physical. I guess you'll enjoy physical as it's quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and generally maths-based problems. Organic will be very mechanism/reaction heavy, which you have some experience to gauge it off there - it is more interesting though, if simplicity and boredom is the issue with the current. It may not be to your taste though generally! Inorganic is quite varied, so some bits can be boring and some quite interesting, and that will mainly just depend on you and your strengths. It's pretty common that most people aren't very fond of one area though (ahem, i'd like to do everything in my power to minimise exposure to physical chemistry at this point). The pharmaceutical industry is all about organic chemistry though so if organic isn't your bag then it might not be the career path for you. Pharmaceuticals is a bit of an area of uncertainty, but nevertheless, you'll explore other areas within your degree. I went into this thinking i'd like to be a medicinal chemist (drug synthesis) but i've had a complete change of heart since then, and most definitely wouldn't do that now. The research potential can lead you towards more biological areas (DNA interactions etc.) although for pure genetics I imagine you'd want to have a biology/genetics background. Most protein and biochemistry sort of areas are accessible though, including medical related investigations.

I think there are a few select courses still around that are combined Chemistry and Phyiscs (one of the Scottish universities possibly?) or courses with names like "Chemical Physics" which also offer a blend.

The lab course of chemistry is very good though, and very engaging. Definitely more exciting than physics experiments...
Reply 2
If you decide chemistry do post on here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50. No decision regarding what is 3/4 years of your life doing the course then probably a job related to that heavily afterwards but just think about all the positive and negatives and like the user above said Chemical Physics is a joint honours in both.
I study natural sciences and it's a great course because you don't have to decide straight away what discipline you go into. This gives you more time to decide and get a feel for university level science.
Nat Sci at most unis is highly regarded and you can choose your speciality towards the end of first year.

It's sounds like a Nat Sci degree would be good for you then on completion you could go into either medicinal chemistry or medical physics post grad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending