The Student Room Group

Law at university Alevel choices

I recently achieved 5 A grades at AS level in Geography, English combined, History, Physical education and General studies. I decided to take English, history and pe onto A2. Im applying to do law at Exeter, Bristol, warwick, Liverpool and Newcastle and was wondering if taking pe will stop me getting offers ? (I am predicted 3 As)
(edited 9 years ago)
How come you can't just repeat the same again for A2?
Reply 2
we have to drop general studies and are advised to drop one other alevel. I thought its better to focus on getting 3 solid a/a* grades than risk getting overwhelmed with work
Original post by j_r112
we have to drop general studies and are advised to drop one other alevel. I thought its better to focus on getting 3 solid a/a* grades than risk getting overwhelmed with work

Take geography, not PE. Geography is a well respected, traditional subject, whereas PE just isn't and isn't good for applications to russell group universities. Play sport in your spare time and take geography if you actually want a shot at those universities.
Reply 4
so taking PE will give me no chance ??
Original post by j_r112
so taking PE will give me no chance ??

It wouldn't give you 'no chance', but it doesn't look fantastic. Although universities aren't too picky about subject choices for Law, Geography is a much better A-level to have under your belt when applying, so unless you'd expect to do far worse in Geography I'd say take that. If it's an A/A* in PE versus a B in geography, the B would still probably stand you in better stead.
Reply 6
ok thank you. Its just my A grade in geography was relatively low (164 UMS, A grade is 160) yet I got 200/200 UMS in PE. Surely the most important thing is I have 2 other strong academic subjects
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by j_r112
ok thank you. Its just my A grade in geography was relatively low (164 UMS, A grade is 160) yet I got 200/200 UMS in PE. Surely the most important thing is I have 2 other strong academic subjects

Not really, they would our prefer you to have three academic subjects to full A-Level as it shows that you can cope with the academic demands of university. PE just doesn't do you justice and it suggests that you're afraid of the work load.
Reply 8
Original post by colourtheory
Not really, they would our prefer you to have three academic subjects to full A-Level as it shows that you can cope with the academic demands of university. PE just doesn't do you justice and it suggests that you're afraid of the work load.

Ok thank you, I was able to drop PE and take Geography back so I now do English geography and History. Thanks for your advice
Original post by j_r112
Ok thank you, I was able to drop PE and take Geography back so I now do English geography and History. Thanks for your advice

I only realised now how late I was on the uptake :biggrin: I'm glad you've settled into year 13, good luck with your uni applications :colondollar:
Reply 10
aha no problem, thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest