The Student Room Group

If you don't meet your partner in Uni, will you be alone forever?

University is where most people find their partners. From experience, my brother met his girlfriend at uni and so did my auntie. They said that when you leave uni and get a job, most people who you work with are in a relationship. This was 20 years ago but I'm not expecting this to have changed since.

University gives you a chance to speak to a lot of people and form relationships more than any other place in your life. So, it is more likely that you'll meet someone there than you would anywhere else. And if you don't meet anyone at University despite having some degree of social life, it is likely that you'll live alone.

Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Highly disagreed.

A lot of people finish Uni at 21-23 (3 or 4-year course, start at 18 or 19) which isn't necessarily old enough at all to know what you want in a life partner. Furthermore, uni's often a "bubble", as are the friends one personally makes there. Several friends of mine graduated this summer and have told me that they found dating in the adult "working world" a lot easier than doing it at uni.

Also, due to uni culture, people (sometimes the same people) seem to favour casual/short-term relationships over meaningless things - someone with a serious partner can be stigmatised as that boring person and feel that it prevents them from going out and so on as much as they'd like.
lol. What a load of ****e.
Reply 3
Not really. Not everyone finds their partner at university though a considerable number do.
Reply 4
would say that's complete bull**** OP

although my mum and dad did meet at uni, but they were doing masters so were lil older
What *******s. People meet at various stages in life

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I'm Asian, my parents probably have like 30 guys lined up for me while their friends have more. :colonhash:

The vast majority of married people I know met their partners at work or through friends. Also, not a lot of people from the older generations went to uni so how did they meet their partners?
This is the most pathetic thing I have read in a long time.

God help that 60 odd% of the population who don't go to uni, they are ****ed. And also anyone who breaks up with their uni partners are also ​****ed.
I'd have to disagree with your point as most relationships established at university are based on convenience and almost exclusively short-term. Not to rule out the possibility but there aren't many serious relationships formed at university but you do have some people who go through university in a serious relationship. As mentioned a few posts earlier serious relationships are often frowned upon by peers especially in these so called social circles that involve lad culture. They throw out lame remarks like "hes whipped" " he's so boring why is he still with his bird"
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Obviously not, neither of my parents went to university and they're married...
Original post by Black Cat
I'd have to disagree with your point as most relationships established at university are based on convenience and almost exclusively short-term. Not to rule out the possibility but there aren't many serious relationships formed at university but you do have some people who go through university in a serious relationship. As mentioned a few posts earlier serious relationships are often frowned upon by peers especially in these so called social circles that involve lad culture. They throw out lame remarks like "hes whipped" " he's so boring why is he still with his bird"

Lad culture may not be any kind of guideline for civilised people.
No, you can find your partner at any time of your life. It doesn't have to be Uni.
nope, not really...
Reply 13
I never saved the link but I read an article once that claimed it's around 1 in 3 meet their future husband/wife at Uni. Could be lower, but certainly not the case that you'll be alone forever.

I know of only a handful of couples who met in University, and since we finished a couple of months ago it's too early to see how far they'll actually go in the long term. In my own personal circle of friends, now they've left University they've all gotten boyfriends while settling into new jobs. So no, it's not the case you'll be alone forever.
I bloody hope not or I've only got one year left to meet the love of my life.
I can sort of agree with this.

I finished uni last summer and since then, there have been no possibilities for me to meet people outside of work. Everyone there is in a relationship and a lot of people simply don't want anything to do with their colleagues. All my friends are in relationships and don't want to do anything unless it involves their other half.

Starting to think i'll be forever alone :colonhash:
Reply 16
It's never too late to find love.
Reply 17
No I know people who have never been to university who are married.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No
This is so stupid, so do you have a study to prove this & your figures?!

Quick Reply

Latest