The Student Room Group

How does this cell secrete protein - would really appreciate the help!

Well, you will need to think out what the organelles labelled A, B and C are. Compare this diagram with any standard diagram given in your book, and you'll be able to identify the structures.

Now consider--the question is asking you to describe what role these organelles play in protein production. If you have studied DNA transcription, and translation, you will find this an easy question to handle. If not, do tell so I can explain it.

I'll do this for one organelle and you can do it for the rest. The organelle labelled B is Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum, with ribosomes on its surfaces. Ribosomes are the sites where the genetic code in mRNA is "read" or "translated" in a specific amino acid sequence. So you need to mention that.

Now just find out what the others are and read up their functions from your book! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dynamo123
Well, you will need to think out what the organelles labelled A, B and C are. Compare this diagram with any standard diagram given in your book, and you'll be able to identify the structures.

Now consider--the question is asking you to describe what role these organelles play in protein production. If you have studied DNA transcription, and translation, you will find this an easy question to handle. If not, do tell so I can explain it.

I'll do this for one organelle and you can do it for the rest. The organelle labelled B is Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum, with ribosomes on its surfaces. Ribosomes are the sites where the genetic code in mRNA is "read" or "translated" in a specific amino acid sequence. So you need to mention that.

Now just find out what the others are and read up their functions from your book! :smile:

Thanks a lot, this really helped me :smile:

Quick Reply