The Student Room Group

Refusing to show a girl to your parents

How would the girlies of TSR react if their boyfriend told them, he thinks really highly of them, but he would prefer not to let you (the girl) meet your parents because of how crazy they are and/or much you don't think they would get along? and the guy was adamant that it wasn't you but them

Just wondering... :curious: :erm: :colondollar:

(already dreading the responses)

(actually resorting to TSR for advice)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Pissed off. Honestly that situation sucks, it's upsetting
Not best pleased, it would be an upsetting situation to be in
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Original post by MidnightDream

Out of interest would you feel the same if it was other family members or are parents special in some way?
Original post by curtis871
Out of interest would you feel the same if it was other family members or are parents special in some way?

I'd still be hurt but a tad less so, to me parents are more special in a way
Original post by curtis871

Other family members wouldn't bother me
I think I'd be a bit upset - worried that I wasn't good enough, but if he properly explained the situation and made it clear that it wasn't because of me, I think I'd try my best to be understanding :h:.
Reply 7
Seems kind of stupid, unless the parents were really terrible, like, racist against her or something like that.
my parents are ridiculous, I wouldnt want my girlfriend spending time with them, but I would let my parents meet her... is that different from what you're suggesting?
Thankfully never been that girl but if I were, I'd have

a serious

but calm...

conversation with this guy, like...really? What's next, not let me come inside? Let your friends if they ever felt like it tease or harass me? Assault me in public because you only love me in private!? :eek:

And...yeah lol

*edit: I would say, that I have seen this when the female is not of the guy's background :s-smilie: However, I have dated men from out of my background and have never been "hidden." It's really up to if the guy has any respect or balls.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd still be hurt but a tad less so, to me parents are more special in a way

Other family members wouldn't bother me

Thanks for the answers :smile:.

If a girlfriend of mine wanted to meet any family member I was still in touch with I wouldn't try particularly hard to stop it though there are some family members I'd avoid suggesting meeting. If she thinks worse of you because of your family then you're probably best getting it out the way sooner so you can move on from them though.
In my family we avoid discussing our personal lives with each other, so it would just be downright uncomfortable for all of us if I took a girlfriend home to spend time with them. The most I'd be willing to do is a quick introduction.

Original post by ILovePancakes
I think I'd be a bit upset - worried that I wasn't good enough, but if he properly explained the situation and made it clear that it wasn't because of me, I think I'd try my best to be understanding :h:.

Thank you for these responses, it's very much what I expected

and hey Pancakes :wink:

Original post by miser
Seems kind of stupid, unless the parents were really terrible, like, racist against her or something like that.

My parents are not racist at all, buuuuut

My mum can be lovely, but she is the typical overbearing crazy lady :colondollar:

My father is...my father
I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Not quite as extreme as in the OP, I think these sorts of situations are okay if there are valid reasons. If not it just feels a bit confusing.
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
Thankfully never been that girl but if I were, I'd have

a serious

but calm...

conversation with this guy, like...really? What's next, not let me come inside? Let your friends if they ever felt like it tease or harass me? Assault me in public because you only love me in private!? :eek:

And...yeah lol

*edit: I would say, that I have seen this when the female is not of the guy's background :s-smilie: However, I have dated men from out of my background and have never been "hidden." It's really up to if the guy has any respect or balls.

Thanks for this too.

It's not really about that and my friends know not to do stupid stuff like being disrespectful in that way etc. I really do understand how it would be seen as weird and it's clearly a bad idea
Reply 15
Original post by yo radical one
My parents are not racist at all, buuuuut

My mum can be lovely, but she is the typical overbearing crazy lady :colondollar:

My father is...my father

I'd say tell her they're overbearing but if they make her uncomfortable you'll be with her the whole time. Then suck it up and take her to meet them. You can't hide her from them forever, so bite the bullet and win points for confidence.
Original post by miser
I'd say tell her they're overbearing but if they make her uncomfortable you'll be with her the whole time. Then suck it up and take her to meet them. You can't hide her from them forever, so bite the bullet and win points for confidence.

:colonhash:

You can't make this into a confidence thing

:laugh:

Some things are bad ideas
Thanks for this too.

It's not really about that and my friends know not to do stupid stuff like being disrespectful in that way etc. I really do understand how it would be seen as weird and it's clearly a bad idea

Original post by miser

:ditto: I was expecting you to be avoiding introducing them because they were violent or thieves or prejudiced in some way. Whilst I can still say it can be difficult in your circumstance miser is definitely 100% right.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
:colonhash:

You can't make this into a confidence thing

:laugh:

Some things are bad ideas

What is it that you fear would happen?
I'd rather have not met my boyfriend's parents... They don't like me and I knew they wouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending