The Student Room Group

Why wont I lose weight?

I'm 16, 5'2 and 8 stone 7.

For the last month(approx) I eat around 1200 calories on average a day(I use my fitness pal). I also go for a 20mins jog most mornings(5 out of 7) and use a fitness DVD about 3 times a week.

Despite this I have only lost 2 pounds. What else should I be doing? I want long lasting results not some quick fix which is why i'm not on some 500 calorie thing but I'm physically not losing any weight?

Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you need to train more, everyday
Reply 2
you should try and do some fitness classes at the gym

some of them are really good
no way you didn't lose on a TRUE 1200 calories, that's less than your BMR let alone your TDEE, you're likely counting your cals wrong and eating more cals than you think

edit: I plugged your stats into a calorie calculator and your maintenance should be around 2000 cals, so if you were really eating 1200 cals you would definitely have lost weight

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Greg Jackson
no way you didn't lose on a TRUE 1200 calories, that's less than your BMR let alone your TDEE, you're likely counting your cals wrong and overeating without realising

I put everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I have had a few days when i've gone over but 25/30 days it has been 1200 or less.
Original post by Mariee16
I put everything I eat on myfitnesspal. I have had a few days when i've gone over but 25/30 days it has been 1200 or less.

well I plugged your stats and activity into a calorie calculator and your maintenance should be at least 2000 cals, so if you were really eating 1200 cals you would definitely have lost weight

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

how accurate are you measuring your intake? are you weighing all your food? and I mean EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth? because that's the only way to get an accurate measurement of how much you're eating, are you using the food labels and manually putting the cals into mfp? or just generic data already on mfp database? because that can be very off
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmmm I'd check this myfitnesspal thing out, because I'd say losing weight has A LOT to do with how much you eat...maybe it not that accurate, or you underestimate your portion sizes or something
You did lose 2 pounds though. :smile:

"Eat less, move more" is the best advice to lose weight for sure. :colondollar: If you eat junk food or sugary stuff, you'd have to make some sacrifices.
Don't really need to read thread, the answer is because you are eating too much for the amount of exercise you are doing (or, alternatively, are exercising too little for the amount that you eat). Everyone likes to think they are special, but the truth is that you aren't unique and you don't have a magic metabolism.

Eat less, move more. Do this for 2 weeks. Measure average weight loss. Not enough weight loss? Eat less, move more. Do this for 2 weeks. Measure average weight loss. Nout enough? Eat less, move more, and so on... If this doesn't work, you are measuring something incorrectly.
Reply 9
Maintain a healthy diet plan with your physical activity. Also, drink more water, because water is the only natural health drink on earth with zero in calories, also it helps in eliminating bad toxins from your body.
How do you know you've progressed on the running or DVD from week to week?
Reply 11
Lift/use weights ^^

A 20min jog seems too little, try increasing it to 40-60mins but do low/high speed intervals - it's more affective :smile:

Also you can calorie count all you like, but are you eating healthily?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jaz_A
Lift/use weights ^^

A 20min jog seems too little, try increasing it to 40-60mins but do low/high speed intervals - it's more affective :smile:

Also you can calorie count all you like, but are you eating healthily?

Technically that wouldn't matter. If all she ate everyday was a 1200 calorie big mac meal, she'd lose weight. Unhealthy as **** yes, but would still be a big deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by hayles101
Technically that wouldn't matter. If all she ate everyday was a 1200 calorie big mac meal, she'd lose weight. Unhealthy as **** yes, but would still be a big deficit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From experience and what I've read - Diet matters a fair bit, if you're eating rubbish it won't help :/
Original post by Mariee16
I'm 16, 5'2 and 8 stone 7.

For the last month(approx) I eat around 1200 calories on average a day(I use my fitness pal). I also go for a 20mins jog most mornings(5 out of 7) and use a fitness DVD about 3 times a week.

Despite this I have only lost 2 pounds. What else should I be doing? I want long lasting results not some quick fix which is why i'm not on some 500 calorie thing but I'm physically not losing any weight?

Can anyone help?

I completely see where you're coming from.
Overall, I've lost 30lbs (10 more to go until I'm at a healthy weight for my height) and I lost it by eating low-carb and just genuinely being healthier. If I said Atkins on here I'd be getting health fanatics replying to this telling me 'how unhealthy it is' blah blah blah, but it gets the weight off. For some people (the minority), they lose weight slowly at first and then it comes off quicker. Make sure you're drinking 2x your recommended amount of water daily, get enough sleep (7hrs+), stress is also a way to stop weight loss, and be sure to eat enough fiber. When I was doing a strict diet at the beginning I wasn't 'going' frequently which caused weight gain. Honestly, patience is the key. It's taken me 3 years to get where I am now. Even if you're losing 2lbs a month, this time next year you'll be down 24lbs if not more. Keep going, maybe increase the exercise or decrease the calorie intake for quicker results.Not a dietitian, only speaking from experience:smile:
Using the values you provided (5 foot 2, 8 stone 7), I've calculated your BMI as just over 21. A healthy BMI is between 18 and 25. So...

YOU'RE PERFECT!

All that is important when it comes to weight and health is to eat properly (5 fruit&veg etc.) and exercise regularly. Don't lose any more weight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1l9g9w8
Using the values you provided (5 foot 2, 8 stone 7), I've calculated your BMI as just over 21. A healthy BMI is between 18 and 25. So...

YOU'RE PERFECT!

All that is important when it comes to weight and health is to eat properly (5 fruit&veg etc.) and exercise regularly. Don't lose any more weight!

Oh **** my BMI is 28. I'm clearly fat :frown:

#ywc
Original post by illusionz
Oh **** my BMI is 28. I'm clearly fat :frown:

#ywc

There is no such thing as 'being fat'.

Also mate, you're BMI is much better than most people's. Don't get yourself down. BMI show how much risk there is of getting an obesity-related illness- yours is still quite low.

Life is not about losing weight and having the 'perfect body'. There is no such thing as perfection in the universe.

I wish people could be sensible about diets, health and weight! All anyone needs to do is to eat well and healthily, exercise regularly and feel good about yourself! Then we would rid ourselves of diabetes, heart attacks and most cancers!

Health isn't about how 'hot' you are- it's about your life and your happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1l9g9w8
There is no such thing as 'being fat'.

Also mate, you're BMI is much better than most people's. Don't get yourself down. BMI show how much risk there is of getting an obesity-related illness- yours is still quite low.

Life is not about losing weight and having the 'perfect body'. There is no such thing as perfection in the universe.

I wish people could be sensible about diets, health and weight! All anyone needs to do is to eat well and healthily, exercise regularly and feel good about yourself! Then we would rid ourselves of diabetes, heart attacks and most cancers!

Health isn't about how 'hot' you are- it's about your life and your happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My comment was sarcastic lol. I lift heavy things and am as a result bigger than average. I know I'm not fat - I was more trying to point out that BMI is a pretty crap measure and doesn't mean she's 'perfect'.
Original post by 1l9g9w8

YOU'RE PERFECT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

BMI is ****ery, I'm 21 and I don't look like I'm healthy.

Quick Reply

Latest