The Student Room Group

Would you send your kids to private schools?

If you can afford it, that is.

Personally I don't think anyone has the right to even think about having kids unless they can be sure they'll have the best possible start in life. No matter what I spend on anything else for them, education is everything and despite it obviously not being at all impossible to prosper either medium or largely going through the state sector, it's generally far more likely and faster through private. So I definitely will be sending mine private if I get the opportunity.

Scroll to see replies

If I had the money then yes I probably would. Not necessarily for the schooling but for the extracurriculars which tend to far exceed state schools' capacities.
Hmm, good question.

I go to a state school, but both my younger siblings attend private school. My little brother is absolutely flying in private school, he's very good at music and languages (both of which aren't really well provided at state school), and his school had a chess club that helped him on to win regional competitions. My little sister, however, is struggling a little bit. She doesn't really have a natural affinity for anything (at least, that is evident now, unlike my brother), and her head of year requested permission to put her a year back in school because she's so behind (parents refused), and private school simply goes too fast for her.

So if I had the money, and the choice, I'd probably allow them to attend, and see which way they fall. If they appear to be more like my little brother, I'd probably keep them there. If it became evident they were more like my little sister, I'd pull them out and put them in state school. If I could pay for private education, I'd pay for them to have any external extracurriculars they wanted.
I will have the money but wouldn't choose to.

My kids will have every possible advantage already barring private education, and I could afford to move catchments for a good state, I wouldn't want to pile on the pressure of knowing I was spending 20-30k a year on their schooling.
If I had the money, maybe for the first few years...guess it depends though
If for some reason I couldn't live somewhere with decent state schools where they would fit in, then probably.
Private boarding school or...?

If I had the money in future... I don't think that I'd doing mind doing that. Provided that going to that school would actually help their education. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by karmacrunch
Private boarding school or...?

If I had the money in future... I don't think that I'd doing mind doing that. Provided that going to that school would actually help their education. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I was just thinking day schools. What even is the motivation behind boarding schools? Anyone I've heard of going to one (not many cos you have to be super rich) hated it.
Original post by ironandbeer
Ah I was just thinking day schools. What even is the motivation behind boarding schools? Anyone I've heard of going to one (not many cos you have to be super rich) hated it.

As my boss puts it. 'I pay professionals to do everything else in my life better than I can, why not child raising?'.

He's only half joking.
If all goes well, money shouldn't be an issue so my future children will be going to private school and receive the very best education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to go to a private school!
But if I had a child and the money to send them to a private school, I would as education is the best gift I could ever give them.
I just want them to be comfortable with their success.
Perhaps. But a top grammar school would be just as good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. I went to state school and I'm doing well.

I just don't agree with private schools. No matter how rich your parents are, I don't think any kid deserves a better chance at an education than another. Sadly, that will never happen because even without private schools some would be better than others.
Yeah, but only if there isn't a grammar school better than it.
I've never agreed with the concept of private schooling. It seems kind of unfair and, in cases where there are brilliant state schools in the same area, kind of unnecessary. I think it puts too much pressure on kids when they know how much their parents are paying for their education- while a little bit of pressure is good, too much just makes them stressed and unhappy. Also, I wouldn't want my children to mostly meet really privileged people- I think going to a state school would provide opportunities to meet people from a wider range of backgrounds.
For the last few years when the exams such as gcses and a levels kick in. I'd want them to develop a rounded awareness of the world, so I'd have them in state schools before this point.
I would send my children to the best school I could get them into, whether that happened to be private or state. And when I say "best school", I mean best in terms of every opportunity it offers the child, and the extent to which it encourages them to take those opportunities, be they academic, extra-curricular or social. Given the current condition of the state sector overall, it looks most likely that it would be a private school.

I don't really agree with the idea of sending my child to an average school with an average demographic, for a "more rounded awareness of society". Obviously there are all sorts of socioeconomic problems occurring outside of the "private school bubble". I wouldn't want my child to be oblivious to this, so I'd explain it to them or point it out from a distance. But I wouldn't want my child to actually grow up amongst those sorts of issues, and experience it day in and day out, to the point where they consider that to be "normal life". If someone at a school starts taking drugs, or gets pregnant, or drops out with no qualifications, I want my child to think "Oh goodness, something seriously went wrong there", not "Yeah and...? What's new?".

I'd rather set the bar as high as possible as to what they should be making of their lives, by surrounding them with, and making them feel more at home amongst the best of society, with people who have done well for themselves. In all honesty, I'm far more interested in having the best for my child, rather than having parity with everyone else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Middle Englanders tend not be so brazen about sending their offspring to top schools these days. Its generally woggies like the chap above me who see no shame in doing so and really those sorts of people and their kids should just die of AIDS basically.
Nah, not a chance, I'd want my kid growing up normal.
Original post by ironandbeer
If you can afford it, that is.

Personally I don't think anyone has the right to even think about having kids unless they can be sure they'll have the best possible start in life. No matter what I spend on anything else for them, education is everything and despite it obviously not being at all impossible to prosper either medium or largely going through the state sector, it's generally far more likely and faster through private. So I definitely will be sending mine private if I get the opportunity.

No I would send them to normal schools and instead I would tutor them personally myself, allowing them to gain a superior education to that of a private school at no extra cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending