The Student Room Group

Sixth form subject help

Hi I'm in year 11 at the moment. Since I go to a crap school and I want to leave it for sixth form, I have to start deciding which subjects I want to study, to apply to other schools. I'm interested in marketing/ advertising and would love to take subjects that could help me. I'm thinking about taking
-Maths
-Economics
-History
-Sociology
Are these good subjects?? I'm really worried that Economics and Sociology is on the so-called "Black lists " for the good unis.
Also are their any other subjects I should consider taking instead?? I think Journalism sounds interesting as well, but I'm not very good at English literature, my predicted GCSE grade is a high C or a low B, even though I heard its important to take at A levels. If I change my mind and decide to go to Journalism, would these subjects not be suitable for it?? Thanks for reading.
Economics is very respected though it's not a facilitating subject (Cambridge 'Trinity college' listed it in with the likes of English Literature). One softer subject like Sociology is fine. I would worry more about whether or not you can get the top grades on the harder subjects you picked. No use in picking subjects like 'Maths' and 'History' if you're going to come out with low tier grades.
Yeah they are good subject :wink: does your school offer a business studies course? As I would advise to take maths, economics, business and English lang lit as if you work really hard you can do well :wink: but what do I know I am just another new year 11 in your position ha :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hey thanks for answering:wink:
Maths is my best subject, though I'm not keen on it (Which is why I don't want to take Further Maths if possible haha). I'm predicted A* and studying Additional Maths with three other guys while others are doing normal Maths. Still, I know GCSE and A levels are very different and I will work hard. History is alright, predicted B or A, but I love it.
Since I only came to the UK from a non English speaking country in around January, during Year 10, I hope some sixth forms will consider this when applying.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Im yr 12 and do maths, history , psychology and A2 german (got an A at AS in year 11,fluent speaker...) im slightly worried that i will get too stressed doing these four in year 12 but it would be benefitial for year 13 as i would have to do only 2 subjects because i'd drop an AS and complete German, i definatelt think i will get an A* in german and would like B's in my other subjects,would it be a good idea to just wait wait with A2 german til next year and just focus on maths,psych,and history or maybe drop history this year and do the AS course next year, I dont wanna do 4 whole A levels because no uni asks for 4 A levels I want 3 A2 and 1 AS, helps pleassse
Reply 5
Original post by Lilytan
Hi I'm in year 11 at the moment. Since I go to a crap school and I want to leave it for sixth form, I have to start deciding which subjects I want to study, to apply to other schools. I'm interested in marketing/ advertising and would love to take subjects that could help me. I'm thinking about taking
-Maths
-Economics
-History
-Sociology
Are these good subjects?? I'm really worried that Economics and Sociology is on the so-called "Black lists " for the good unis.
Also are their any other subjects I should consider taking instead?? I think Journalism sounds interesting as well, but I'm not very good at English literature, my predicted GCSE grade is a high C or a low B, even though I heard its important to take at A levels. If I change my mind and decide to go to Journalism, would these subjects not be suitable for it?? Thanks for reading.

There is no point in worrying whether you're subjects are on the 'black list' or not as it depends what you want to do and in your case they look fine. One vital thing though go with the subjects you enjoy not because you are good at them. It's going to line you up for a fall if you do that as a better grade in a less respected subject is better than an E/U in a more respected one. I'm not saying that this will happen but I saw it happen alot to people when I was doing A levels.

Another thing is do the schools/ colleges you are applying for offer the extended project as this may be helpful if you do in the end decide to go for journalism as you will have something to show the admissions tutors that you are really interested in going into the field? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest