The Student Room Group

Corsa 1.2(06), VWPolo 1.2(06) or Clio 1.2(07)

Which one is the best, in terms of durability and running costs

[h="1"]Renault Clio 1.2 16V Campus Sport 2007 3dr[/h][h="1"]Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i 16V SXi+ [80] 5dr[/h]
[h="1"]Volkswagen Polo 1.2 E 55 3dr[/h]
The Polo because it is the simplest of the bunch. Nothing to it thus nothing to go wrong. Underpowered too.

No idea what it meant by "Perfect Lady Owner"
Original post by Alfissti
The Polo because it is the simplest of the bunch. Nothing to it thus nothing to go wrong. Underpowered too.

O:eek: It was just a general question on those types, didnt know I included the links lol and I think they always mention if its a lady owner in hope that buyers buy into that stereotype, on female drivers treating their cars well

Do you think the toyota yaris(05) 1.3 vvti is better than the vw(06) 1.2 polo
Original post by daydreamer93
Do you think the toyota yaris(05) 1.3 vvti is better than the vw(06) 1.2 polo

Way better car.

Might want to check if the insurance goes up exponentially though as one of my staff who has a Yaris found that the difference between a 1.0 and a 1.3 was nearly £500 more.
Way better car.

Might want to check if the insurance goes up exponentially though as one of my staff who has a Yaris found that the difference between a 1.0 and a 1.3 was nearly £500 more.

Really? even with the costs of servicing? I'm also getting quotes for £1500 on the yaris 1.3 and 1200 on the 1.0.
The vwpolo and corsa I get quotes of £1100 1200
Way better car.

Varies by car, location etc, my 1.8 focus was £50 more than a 1.2 polo.
Original post by theronkinator
Varies by car, location etc, my 1.8 focus was £50 more than a 1.2 polo.

Insurance is a money-making sham for the select few.

I'm not surprised you are having to pay only £50 more for a significantly more powerful vehicle.

Really? even with the costs of servicing? I'm also getting quotes for £1500 on the yaris 1.3 and 1200 on the 1.0.
The vwpolo and corsa I get quotes of £1100 1200

Cost of servicing between the 1.0 and 1.3 Yaris would be nearly identical. We are talking of £10-20 difference per service.
Which one is the best, in terms of durability and running costs

[h="1"]Renault Clio 1.2 16V Campus Sport 2007 3dr[/h][h="1"]Vauxhall Corsa 1.2i 16V SXi+ [80] 5dr[/h]
[h="1"]Volkswagen Polo 1.2 E 55 3dr[/h]

The main thing is the actual condition of the cars.........obviously some cars have their issues, common faults and general opinions. Such as Renault being well a bit crap when it comes to reliability, so I would avoid the Clio.

Another thing is the Polo is the better one, the only issue is that its a basic model, so not front electric windows, alloys or aircon.
Also remember around the 60-70k area of mileage, cars usually need a major service which are costly compared to a standard service.

This car is well its a good price, but very big http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409127352392/sort/locasc/price-to/2500/radius/20/usedcars/postcode/tw75al/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/hatchback/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old?logcode=p

Could go for the older Polo model, but version s or se which comes with a bit more tech, they are practically the same underneath.
Also theres the Skoda fabia?
Original post by Iqbal007
The main thing is the actual condition of the cars.........obviously some cars have their issues, common faults and general opinions. Such as Renault being well a bit crap when it comes to reliability, so I would avoid the Clio.

Another thing is the Polo is the better one, the only issue is that its a basic model, so not front electric windows, alloys or aircon.
Also remember around the 60-70k area of mileage, cars usually need a major service which are costly compared to a standard service.

This car is well its a good price, but very big http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409127352392/sort/locasc/price-to/2500/radius/20/usedcars/postcode/tw75al/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/hatchback/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old?logcode=p

Could go for the older Polo model, but version s or se which comes with a bit more tech, they are practically the same underneath.
Also theres the Skoda fabia?

I've had a look at the fabias, the insurance is not as cheap and its a bit hard to find a good deal around my area.
I'll try to get a 1.3 yaris, if not I'll probably end up with a polo, what do you think of the 04 1.2 polos? like this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407256102401/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/volkswagen/radius/15/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/price-to/2500/usedcars/postcode/tw75al/page/2?logcode=p I try to avoid the older cars because I wan to avoid rust, I can just about afford most 06 cars maybe some 07 cars, in the 1-1.3l bracket of course.
and honda civic 1.6? I wouldn't be able to afford petrol on that thing and insurance would be significantly higher.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Polos look mint! But they seem to be expensive to maintain, vw parts cost a bomb! And if you go for a petrol it will be costly.. clios in my opinion are a no go, especially petrols! But I'd go for a corsa if I was able to get a 1.3cdti, £30 a year road tax, more mpg, cheap to insure/maintain, can't go too far wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've had a look at the fabias, the insurance is not as cheap and its a bit hard to find a good deal around my area.
I'll try to get a 1.3 yaris, if not I'll probably end up with a polo, what do you think of the 04 1.2 polos? like this http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407256102401/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/volkswagen/radius/15/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/price-to/2500/usedcars/postcode/tw75al/page/2?logcode=p I try to avoid the older cars because I wan to avoid rust, I can just about afford most 06 cars maybe some 07 cars, in the 1-1.3l bracket of course.
and honda civic 1.6? I wouldn't be able to afford petrol on that thing and insurance would be significantly higher.

The Fabia is a Polo underneath....again check during different times of day, etc e.g. for me confused.com seems to get the best deals for me, no idea why, and my current insurance was based on a quote I got a month before it expired which was £200 cheaper then when I checked about a week or 2 before it ended.

I got a 02 plate Polo SE, good cars, issue is the engine management light, common fault is the lamba sensor..........also soft suspension which can be good, though I think I prefer firmer suspension.
Its a 1.2, its fine for city driving...generally I use gear 3 for 20mph, but on steep hills for example which are quite steep you may need to drop down to gear 2 or it feels sluggish. Same goes for the motorway, lower a gear to get to the faster speed, as I have been driving in the city for over a year until I went on the motorway, got to change your habits, 1st gear to 15, 2nd to 30, 3rd to 40+, then 4th till I reached 60 then I switched to 5th gear to get to 70mph, so you speed up sufficiently enough. So the 1.4 may be better if you plan on using the motorway more and more efficient.

Rust can occur on newer cars as well, depends on the car, its life and how its been treated.
Just look around, also try gumtree, obviously don't follow for the obvious dodgy sellers, check their previous posts if any, then just make sure its a private seller and take someone to check the car over if you dont know how to.
Original post by Moksud
Polos look mint! But they seem to be expensive to maintain, vw parts cost a bomb! And if you go for a petrol it will be costly.. clios in my opinion are a no go, especially petrols! But I'd go for a corsa if I was able to get a 1.3cdti, £30 a year road tax, more mpg, cheap to insure/maintain, can't go too far wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought vw parts were cheap because they're so common?
I thought vw parts were cheap because they're so common?

VW parts are never cheap though there are oem ones that aren't as expensive, plenty of those around.
VW parts are never cheap though there are oem ones that aren't as expensive, plenty of those around.

I was gonna ask you......do you by any chance have an estimate to replacing the brakes and front bushes? As I believe my brake pads are nearly gone and I believe bushes have split.
I was gonna ask you......do you by any chance have an estimate to replacing the brakes and front bushes? As I believe my brake pads are nearly gone and I believe bushes have split.

Depends on the car but for a Polo or Golf it would run around £70-90 for a fairly good set of pads.

Bushes, depends on which ones, generally not more than £120 and that should usually include the tracking as that will need to be done.
The Fabia is a Polo underneath....again check during different times of day, etc e.g. for me confused.com seems to get the best deals for me, no idea why, and my current insurance was based on a quote I got a month before it expired which was £200 cheaper then when I checked about a week or 2 before it ended.

I got a 02 plate Polo SE, good cars, issue is the engine management light, common fault is the lamba sensor..........also soft suspension which can be good, though I think I prefer firmer suspension.
Its a 1.2, its fine for city driving...generally I use gear 3 for 20mph, but on steep hills for example which are quite steep you may need to drop down to gear 2 or it feels sluggish. Same goes for the motorway, lower a gear to get to the faster speed, as I have been driving in the city for over a year until I went on the motorway, got to change your habits, 1st gear to 15, 2nd to 30, 3rd to 40+, then 4th till I reached 60 then I switched to 5th gear to get to 70mph, so you speed up sufficiently enough. So the 1.4 may be better if you plan on using the motorway more and more efficient.

Rust can occur on newer cars as well, depends on the car, its life and how its been treated.
Just look around, also try gumtree, obviously don't follow for the obvious dodgy sellers, check their previous posts if any, then just make sure its a private seller and take someone to check the car over if you dont know how to.

How long have you had your polo for? And how many times have you serviced it, and what were the costs?
I'm considering getting the polo 1.2 06reg as the yaris is a bit boring inside and hard to find.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending