The Student Room Group

How competative is Computer Science at Imperial?

Hi, I am wondering how lucky I would have to be in order to get into Imperial to study computer science.

I am taking maths, further maths, computing and economics, and have achieved an A in all 4 (plus an A in polish which I don't count). I am also doing an EPQ based on computer science.

My personal statement talks about a lot of things I have done in the past regarding CS and generally shows my passion for the subject, especially programming.

What do I have to do to convince the admissions tutors at the interview?

What are some of the other top unis for computer science? I am also applying to Cambridge, but I have no idea about my other 3 choices. I am currently thinking of Warwick, Durham and maybe Birmingham?

I was also considering doing a Mathematics and Computer Science degree but I am unsure whether this is wise. I am thinking about my employment prospects here and wondering if a joint maths degree would open me up a little, although I would prefer to not miss out on too much computer science.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Imperial, they're known for absurd requirements.

Having said that, it actually looks that it's one of those course which has the lowest requirement in compare to other degrees, but its a competitive as hell! My friend got rejected for this course having 2A* and an A :eek:

You could try St.Andrew's apparently it's very good for the course or even Exeter and Bristol.

Be careful on the safe choices tho, it seems for CS the lowest they can ask for can be often pretty high to be 'safe'.

I'd say: Cambridge, Imperial (These 2 if you have outstanding AS results, i.e AAAA-AAAB), UCL, and 3 very safe choices.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rian7
Imperial, they're known for absurd requirements.

Having said that, it actually looks that it's one of those course which has the lowest requirement in compare to other degrees, but its a competitive as hell! My friend got rejected for this course having 2A* and an A :eek:

You could try St.Andrew's apparently it's very good for the course or even Exeter and Bristol.

Be careful on the safe choices tho, it seems for CS the lowest they can ask for can be often pretty high to be 'safe'.

I'd say: Cambridge, Imperial (These 2 if you have outstanding AS results, i.e AAAA-AAAB), UCL, and 3 very safe choices.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll be looking at St. Andrews as its in Scotland which seems like an entirely different universe to me. (in fact, depending on the results of today's vote, it might even mean moving into a completely different country!).

When you said your friend got rejected, was that at Imperial or another university? (I am unsure whether you meant "this course" as in the Imperial course of another computer science course). Do you know what they got at AS and what other unis they applied to?

I am not too worried about meeting the A*AA offer of most of my choices, I am more worried about actually getting in (as most applicants would have easily met that requirement anyway).

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Original post by Norbo11
Thanks for the advice, I don't think I'll be looking at St. Andrews as its in Scotland which seems like an entirely different universe to me. (in fact, depending on the results of today's vote, it might even mean moving into a completely different country!).

It looks like we are still in the same country and hopefully still the same universe! I might be slightly biased but I would encourage you to consider us.
Reply 4
Original post by Norbo11
Hi, I am wondering how lucky I would have to be in order to get into Imperial to study computer science.

I am taking maths, further maths, computing and economics, and have achieved an A in all 4 (plus an A in polish which I don't count). I am also doing an EPQ based on computer science.

I personal statement talks about a lot of things I have done in the past regarding CS and generally shows my passion for the subject, especially programming.

What do I have to do to convince the admissions tutors at the interview?

What are some of the other top unis for computer science? I am also applying to Cambridge, but I have no idea about my other 3 choices. I am currently thinking of Warwick, Durham and maybe Birmingham?

I was also considering doing a Mathematics and Computer Science degree but I am unsure whether this is wise. I am thinking about my employment prospects here and wondering if a joint maths degree would open me up a little, although I would prefer to not miss out on too much computer science.

The Imperial offer for CS will be A* (maths) + AAA seeing as you do four A2s. For JMC, it will be A*A* (maths, fm) AA. That's why it's much easier to only take three and have an A*AA offer, for example, as doing four doesn't actually put you at any kind of advantage entry-wise, it just makes your offer harder.

I got an A*AA offer and I was predicted A*A*A in Maths, Further maths and Computing. The interviews aren't hard at all, you just have to be willing to talk through what you're doing and take advice on board when problem-solving.
Reply 5
Original post by St Andrews CompSci
It looks like we are still in the same country and hopefully still the same universe! I might be slightly biased but I would encourage you to consider us.

Haha, I may look into St. Andrews at some point.

Original post by Damask-
The Imperial offer for CS will be A* (maths) + AAA seeing as you do four A2s. For JMC, it will be A*A* (maths, fm) AA. That's why it's much easier to only take three and have an A*AA offer, for example, as doing four doesn't actually put you at any kind of advantage entry-wise, it just makes your offer harder.

I got an A*AA offer and I was predicted A*A*A in Maths, Further maths and Computing. The interviews aren't hard at all, you just have to be willing to talk through what you're doing and take advice on board when problem-solving.

I am doing 4 A-levels because of my lack of science, and the fact that I find Computing so damn easy (due to a lot of previous programming experience, etc). I won't be applying for JMC (although I did consider it - I just think I'm way more into CS than I am into maths, and don't want to miss out on some CS topics). Could I ask what your AS grades were, and what kind of problem-solving questions they ask at interview?
Reply 6
Original post by Norbo11

I am doing 4 A-levels because of my lack of science, and the fact that I find Computing so damn easy (due to a lot of previous programming experience, etc). I won't be applying for JMC (although I did consider it - I just think I'm way more into CS than I am into maths, and don't want to miss out on some CS topics). Could I ask what your AS grades were, and what kind of problem-solving questions they ask at interview?

They don't really care about sciences for CS. The fact that I got a C at AS Physics didn't even come up in conversation. My AS grades were AAAC (maths, computing, english language, physics - I did the whole of further maths in upper 6th.)
Reply 7
Original post by Damask-
They don't really care about sciences for CS. The fact that I got a C at AS Physics didn't even come up in conversation. My AS grades were AAAC (maths, computing, english language, physics - I did the whole of further maths in upper 6th.)

Hmm, what about personal statements? Was yours particularly strong?

What other unis did you apply to?
Reply 8
Original post by Norbo11
Hmm, what about personal statements? Was yours particularly strong?

What other unis did you apply to?

I was told mine was strong but I don't think it was ridiculously good - I listed books I'd read and stuff I'd done but it wasn't like I had apps on the App Store or anything. I applied to Bath (firmed it, and am now going into my second year,) York, Birmingham and KCL.
Original post by St Andrews CompSci

I wonder if a Turing Machine could have predicted the results if it had been fed the appropriate input. :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Damask-
I was told mine was strong but I don't think it was ridiculously good - I listed books I'd read and stuff I'd done but it wasn't like I had apps on the App Store or anything. I applied to Bath (firmed it, and am now going into my second year,) York, Birmingham and KCL.

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham, Durham - does this list of choices sound good to you (in order of preference).
How come you picked Bath over Imperial? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions :P
Original post by Norbo11
Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Birmingham, Durham - does this list of choices sound good to you (in order of preference).
How come you picked Bath over Imperial? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions :P

Yeah, it's a good list. I picked Bath because every time I visited, I was overwhelmed by how welcoming it was and how happy the students seemed. Everyone at Imperial looked exhausted and borderline suicidal. :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Damask-
Yeah, it's a good list. I picked Bath because every time I visited, I was overwhelmed by how welcoming it was and how happy the students seemed. Everyone at Imperial looked exhausted and borderline suicidal. :tongue:

Haha, that's fair enough then. I guess prestige isn't the only thing that should affect a uni choice.
Reply 13
Original post by Norbo11

When you said your friend got rejected, was that at Imperial or another university? (I am unsure whether you meant "this course" as in the Imperial course of another computer science course). Do you know what they got at AS and what other unis they applied to?

I am not too worried about meeting the A*AA offer of most of my choices, I am more worried about actually getting in (as most applicants would have easily met that requirement anyway).

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

True for St.Andrews, i'd rather stay in UK as for your choice of course there are a LOT of good unis.

Sorry for not making it clear, one of them got AAAAA in AS and 4A* in A2 and he's going Imperial but did get rejected from Cambridge. My other friend had AAABC in AS and A*AAC in A2 and he did not get a place at Imperial but did get accepted at Exeter. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Rian7
True for St.Andrews, i'd rather stay in UK as for your choice of course there are a LOT of good unis.

Sorry for not making it clear, one of them got AAAAA in AS and 4A* in A2 and he's going Imperial but did get rejected from Cambridge. My other friend had AAABC in AS and A*AAC in A2 and he did not get a place at Imperial but did get accepted at Exeter. :smile:

Ah, thanks, that helps :smile: I am about to send off my UCAS application!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Norbo11
Ah, thanks, that helps :smile: I am about to send off my UCAS application!

No worries! All the best for your application and let us know how it all went. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Damask-

Not true, my offer was A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and AA in Physics and Chemistry (i.e. A*A*AA overall). That was a few years ago and from what I've seen the average offer has gone up since then.

The interview was pretty difficult, I wasn't able to answer either question without quite a lot of help, especially the first one.

EDIT: Before anyone says it, I realize this is an old thread but people are still going to read it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
(OP here)

If anyone cares about how this played out, I got an interview invitation at Imperial pretty soon after sending off my UCAS application. My interview experience was overwhelmingly opposite of that at Cambridge. My interviewer (a researcher/lecturer) was extremely kind - I was asked to think of, and talk through an algorithm to solve a problem based on calculating the area formed by rainfall across a hilly ground. It was presented on a kind of histogram. It was hard to formulate the solution at first but the interviewer gave very helpful hints (without giving away the answer) which led me to answering well enough. Other than that, I was asked about the projects listed in my personal statement, as well as my post-degree plans.

The Cambridge interview on the other hand was on a miserable December morning in a cold room somewhere in Churchill College, with 2 very unnerving professors almost mocking me as I cackle in front of a logic gate problem involving streams and pipelines of water... "exactly... you can't make water out of nothing ._." was the exact quote right before I was told my time was up. (The problem was of moderate difficulty, unless your heart is doing 120 BPM). By the second interview my confidence dropped to the point where I couldn't sketch a simple (sinx)^2 curve to save my life. I was, however, able to tackle the rest of the 7 maths problem selection given to me. I wasn't asked about my personal statement or anything other than the problems presented. Eventually I stumbled to the exam hall where I took a maths test lasting an hour, in the style of a UK maths challenge paper (but harder). Wasn't surprised to see a rejection letter, but hoped that Imperial would work out.

Hope was restored when I eventually received an e-mail:

On the strength of your application, together with your interview performance, we are pleased to inform you that you will shortly be receiving a conditional offer for the course G401 at Imperial College London.

Offer:
A* in Maths
A in Further Maths
A in Computing
A in Economics
A in Extended Project
Grade 2 in STEP 1 or Merit in Advanced Extension Award (AEA) Mathematics Paper

I met my offer and am excited for freshers week starting next Saturday :smile: It was hard work and months of very nervous waiting, but it paid off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Norbo11
(OP here)

If anyone cares about how this played out, I got an interview invitation at Imperial pretty soon after sending off my UCAS application. My interview experience was overwhelmingly opposite of my that at Cambridge. My interviewer (a researcher/lecturer) was extremely kind - I was asked to think of, and talk through an algorithm to solve a problem based calculating the area formed by rainfall across hilly ground. It was presented on a kind of histogram. It was hard to notice the solution at first but the interviewer gave very helpful hints (without giving away the answer) which led me to answering well enough. Other than that, I was asked about the projects listed in my personal statement, as well as my post-degree plans.

The Cambridge interview on the other hand was on a miserable December morning in a cold room somewhere in Churchill College, with 2 very unnerving professors almost mocking me as I cackle in front of a logic gate problem involving streams and pipelines of water... "exactly... you can't make water out of nothing ._." was the exact quote right before I was told my time was up. (The problem was of moderate difficulty, unless your heart is doing 120 BPM). By the second interview my confidence dropped to the point where I couldn't sketch a simple (sinx)^2 curve to save my life. I was, however, able to tackle the rest of the 7 maths problem selection presented to me. I wasn't asked about my personal statement or anything other than the problems presented. I eventually stumbled to the exam hall where I took a maths test lasting an hour, in the style of the UK maths challenge (but harder). Wasn't surprised to see a rejection letter, but hoped that Imperial would work out.

Hope was restored when I eventually received an e-mail:

On the strength of your application, together with your interview performance, we are pleased to inform you that you will shortly be receiving a conditional offer for the course G401 at Imperial College London.

Offer:
A* in Maths
A in Further Maths
A in Computing
A in Economics
A in Extended Project
Grade 2 in STEP 1 or Merit in Advanced Extension Award (AEA) Mathematics Paper

I met my offer and am excited for freshers week starting next Saturday :smile: It was hard work and months of very nervous waiting, but it paid off.

That's fantastic to read! How long after sending UCAS did you get an interview??
Reply 19
Original post by Rabadon
That's fantastic to read! How long after sending UCAS did you get an interview??

6th of October - UCAS received my application
16th of October - I was invited for an interview at Imperial
12th of November - I was invited for an interview at Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending