The Student Room Group

I don't really like my degree subject that much. What should I do?

I have got a place at Oxford to do Chemistry and, to be honest, I don't really like Chemistry that much. The only reason I chose it is because I have no idea what career path I want to go down so I just chose my favourite A-level. Now it has come to actually going and doing four years of Chemistry and inevitably getting into enormous amounts of student debt, I have become more and more apprehensive and worried about it. Especially as Chemistry is a particularly taxing degree (even more so at Oxford I'm told). I am concerned that my lack of passion may result in poor grades and relatively poor employment prospects - given that the only reason I want to go to uni is so I can get a good job, this idea sounds pretty bad to me. I have been thinking about this a lot and it's actually getting me quite depressed at points because I have probably left it a bit late to do much about it (I start in October). I also don't want to let my family down as they over the moon that I managed to get into Oxford. Any advice would be fantastic.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you want to study?

Ditch Chemistry, take a gap year and reapply again.
Reply 2
Chemistry is a bitch of a subject at A Level, god knows how bad it'll be at degree level.

Those mechanisms seem so boring and tedious to draw out.
Reply 3
Tbh, I think you'll pass the degree

You may get bored and feel you have wasted 4 years of your life.
Reply 4
If it's your 'favourite' A level, then how come you 'don't like it that much?'

I'm sure it's just pre uni nerves anyway, I would be shook if I was staring down the line of another 4 years of chemistry. Stick it out for a year and of it's not for you, change! What other A levels did u do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You got into Oxford. Don't even think about dropping out. My uncle did a degree in chemistry at Durham and now works as a banker in New York. Your degree won't hinder your employment prospects, especially a degree from Oxford .
Don't listen to the people who say that you should suck it up because it's Oxford; it's an absurd opinion. This attitude is especially hard to justify if you're beyond miserable and unmotivated doing a degree you don't enjoy.

However, it is your favourite A-Level for a reason; you must have some passion or interest in Chemistry for you to say that, and you must have conveyed that interest (whether you believe it's there or not) at your interview somehow.

What do you like about chemistry most of all?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by 2en1
If it's your 'favourite' A level, then how come you 'don't like it that much?'I'm sure it's just pre uni nerves anyway, I would be shook if I was staring down the line of another 4 years of chemistry. Stick it out for a year and of it's not for you, change! What other A levels did u do?Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level. Perhaps "favourite" was the wrong word to use; the phrase 'least bad' would be somewhat harsh but possibly more appropriate. I really do hope it's just pre-uni nerves. I just wish I knew what I want to do as a career.
Reply 8
Original post by sytner9
I did Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level. Perhaps "favourite" was the wrong word to use; the phrase 'least bad' would be somewhat harsh but possibly more appropriate. I really do hope it's just pre-uni nerves. I just wish I knew what I want to do as a career.

Aah yes I wouldn't have liked that subject combo either tbh, although if u managed to get top grades in them without really enjoying them, I'm sure this can also work for your degree? Focus on the degree and jobs will come :smile: I heard that 40% of employers don't care what subject your degree is in!
Degree subject choice means nothing for your employment prospects. Nowt. You could do law, banking, consultancy and a 1000 other options with a Chemistry degree. It's a respectable degree which will give you strong quantitative skills.

Better off trying to change your degree choice once you're at Oxford if you're desperate rather than trying the UCAS milkround again. It is possible.

And Oxford is Oxford. No, it is not necessarily more taxing than any other university - that's a myth. Perpetuated by the establishment (or rather those who attend it for their own reasons). People may work harder though. But look at the stats: over 40% of students achieve firsts:
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/study/10007774FT-F100/ReturnTo/Search

So there's method to the madness (of working harder). Yes, the reputation will make you much more employable than elsewhere. Not because you will be better. But because every university awards 2:1s to everyone and his dog nowadays, and it's impossible to tell the difference. Oxford distinguishes itself with a reputation for quality so you will find yourself with more interviews (less risk you will be crap) and more offers (the interview process often comes down to value judgements on prejudices e.g. Oxbridge educated).
Reply 10
Original post by ThatPerson
Don't listen to the people who say that you should suck it up because it's Oxford; it's an absurd opinion. This attitude is especially hard to justify if you're beyond miserable and unmotivated doing a degree you don't enjoy.

However, it is your favourite A-Level for a reason; you must have some passion or interest in Chemistry for you to say that, and you must have conveyed that interest (whether you believe it's there or not) at your interview somehow.

What do you like about chemistry most of all?

I think that what I liked about it most is the fact that I was naturally quite good at it. People seemed to struggle, even at GCSE level, with stuff that I just found intuitive. This wasn't conscious (the feeling of enjoying the intellectual superiority) but now I have put thought into it, that must be what I like about it. This is because there's nothing in the content of the subject itself that particularly stands out as something that I enjoy or are passionate about. I don't wish to sound arrogant with the "intellectual superiority" comment but I am trying to convey what I feel. In fact, I often wish I wasn't so intelligent so that I could just enjoy my life in a haze of ignorance.
Another option is switch when you're there. It may be much easier to transfer degrees within Oxford once you've got in than to reapply. Ask them now and see what they say - obviously you'll need to be qualified for the other degree / have one in mind, and you should also take care not to pay for tuition / accommodation if you're going to drop out, but it's an option.
Original post by sytner9
I think that what I liked about it most is the fact that I was naturally quite good at it. People seemed to struggle, even at GCSE level, with stuff that I just found intuitive. This wasn't conscious (the feeling of enjoying the intellectual superiority) but now I have put thought into it, that must be what I like about it. This is because there's nothing in the content of the subject itself that particularly stands out as something that I enjoy or are passionate about. I don't wish to sound arrogant with the "intellectual superiority" comment but I am trying to convey what I feel. In fact, I often wish I wasn't so intelligent so that I could just enjoy my life in a haze of ignorance.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't think it's arrogant; it's natural for you to pursue something that you find relatively simple.

If you weren't doing Chemistry, what would you truly want to do? I would also investigate the possibility of changing degrees at Oxford, if that's an available option.
Reply 13
Original post by ThatPerson
I understand where you're coming from. I don't think it's arrogant; it's natural for you to pursue something that you find relatively simple.

If you weren't doing Chemistry, what would you truly want to do? I would also investigate the possibility of changing degrees at Oxford, if that's an available option.

When I look at the list of degree options I never find one that jumps out at me as something I want to do. Neither do I know what career I want to pursue. In all honesty, I would really love to run my own business but right now I haven't come up something big/good enough to warrant ditching a degree. I have only run a small business when I was doing my A-levels where I would buy and sell vinyl records (I made a few grand but it's not a proper business really).
Reply 14
I changed degree subject in Fresher's week at Oxford. It wasn't fun - I essentially went though admissions tests and interviews and lots of meetings with various people within the space of a few days - but I'm glad I did it. If this is something you're interested in, try and set the ball rolling as soon as you arrive, or before even. Otherwise, if you really don't want to study Chemistry, I'll be blunt: from what I saw of chemistry students, this won't get better and it will be a very long and highly stressful four years. It is very different at university to at A level.
Original post by sytner9
When I look at the list of degree options I never find one that jumps out at me as something I want to do. Neither do I know what career I want to pursue. In all honesty, I would really love to run my own business but right now I haven't come up something big/good enough to warrant ditching a degree. I have only run a small business when I was doing my A-levels where I would buy and sell vinyl records (I made a few grand but it's not a proper business really).

I'll be honest, in that case, I'm not entirely sure what is the best course of action.

I'd probably stick with the degree and see if I like what I see in the first few weeks, and if I don't I'd try to switch to something I find more interesting (which doesn't apply to you as you seem fairly apathetic to other subjects). Bear in mind that I'm not sure how it affects your student finance situation or whether what I've suggested is feasible at Oxford. I recommend you get plenty of other opinions before you make a final decision.
Reply 16
Original post by cadence
I changed degree subject in Fresher's week at Oxford. It wasn't fun - I essentially went though admissions tests and interviews and lots of meetings with various people within the space of a few days - but I'm glad I did it. If this is something you're interested in, try and set the ball rolling as soon as you arrive, or before even. Otherwise, if you really don't want to study Chemistry, I'll be blunt: from what I saw of chemistry students, this won't get better and it will be a very long and highly stressful four years. It is very different at university to at A level.

What did you change from and to? Is changing courses particularly out of the ordinary / is it likely that if I ask to change course they will let me do so? Also, what do you mean "from what you see of Chemistry students"? Thanks.
Reply 17
Original post by sytner9
What did you change from and to? Is changing courses particularly out of the ordinary / is it likely that if I ask to change course they will let me do so? Also, what do you mean "from what you see of Chemistry students"? Thanks.

From engineering to physics. It is highly unusual, from my experience - I can only think of a handful of people who changed course. The likeliness of them letting you change depends on a number of factors: whether you are academically capable (so you have the relevant A levels and are of a standard to get through the application process - they don't want people applying for less competitive degrees as a back door to getting in for a more competitive degree, if that makes sense), whether there is space for you at your college in that subject (I have heard of one person changing course and having to change college because of it - only one; this is not standard and I am still very surprised that this happened at all), what point in the year it is (even a few weeks in and you would find yourself struggling to catch up) and your motivation for changing. I remember they wanted to be very sure that I was sure, as there's no going back really.

What I meant by "from what I saw of chemistry students", what I meant is that I can remember a lot more chemists who hated their degree than loved them. I can remember someone dropping out, and I can remember a lot of chemists trying to change subject within the first term.

It's all very well saying that chemistry is a good degree with good employment prospects - I mean, sure, it is, I don't disagree - but life is too short to be miserable for four years. For those four years, your degree is your life and soul. Don't listen to people telling you not to drop out because it's Oxford - do what is right for you.
Reply 18
Original post by sytner9
I have got a place at Oxford to do Chemistry and, to be honest, I don't really like Chemistry that much. The only reason I chose it is because I have no idea what career path I want to go down so I just chose my favourite A-level. Now it has come to actually going and doing four years of Chemistry and inevitably getting into enormous amounts of student debt, I have become more and more apprehensive and worried about it. Especially as Chemistry is a particularly taxing degree (even more so at Oxford I'm told). I am concerned that my lack of passion may result in poor grades and relatively poor employment prospects - given that the only reason I want to go to uni is so I can get a good job, this idea sounds pretty bad to me. I have been thinking about this a lot and it's actually getting me quite depressed at points because I have probably left it a bit late to do much about it (I start in October). I also don't want to let my family down as they over the moon that I managed to get into Oxford. Any advice would be fantastic.

Just questions really.

(1) Will you get a good job if you don't go to uni?

(2) If the answer is no then what subject would you prefer to study?

I did chemistry but it was a long time ago so I'm not qualified to advise on the course. However, to do well you have to be organised and you have to work. That will be true whatever subject you take. Over four years the motivation thing will be full of ups and downs so it's not necessarily a bad thing to start with a down. The others will get theirs later.

If you really hate it walk away from it but I think what I'm picking up from your posts is that you have a bird in the hand and none in the bush. It might be better to stick with it until you see a solution.
I'm going to Oxford for History and I'm feeling the same way, I keep checking the course list to see if there's something I'd like to transfer to :/ I think a lot of it is down to pre-uni nerves though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending