The Student Room Group

A-Levels make me feel stressed and guilty all the time - help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by manchesterunited15
She's lying, unless she's really dumb or doesn't know what hard work is. Anyone who's reasonably intelligent and works "their absolute hardest" will get good grades.

I was in a few of her classes last year, she's not super smart but she does always try her absolute hardest, she took subjects like business and psychology which I think were just too hard for her unfortunately. So even though we're not alike it still scares me. And some of my super intelligent friends failed some exam modules in science/maths, which scares the sh*t out of me because they're a lot smarter than me!!
Original post by vanessa409
Yeah I keep telling myself that I'm working hard so I will do well, we're told buy the college that with A-levels you get out what you put in, and that made me feel much more at ease. Until I spoke to a friend who got D E E U at AS despite trying her absolute hardest, she told me she'd never cried so hard when she opened her results. Which put me straight back in to panic mode! :s-smilie: :frown:

It's likely there were other factors involved. When I came to do my mocks in January, I got a U in Biology. I worked my ass off (I clocked ten hours on one of the days, it was half term) and retook the mock, only to get a D. The reason I got the grade was because I was studying incorrectly (i.e. revising content when it was actually my exam technique that was the problem), not because I didn't study hard enough. I put in nowhere near the same amount of hours for the actual exam, but worked on a mixture of exam technique and content revision, and came out with an A.

Your friend probably had a similar issue. They may have been revising the content so much they didn't practise exams enough, or they spent their whole time practising exams and was actually quite shaky on the content, so when something came up they didn't recognise, they were stuffed.

It's not about how hard you try, it's about how effectively you work. If you put in the right kind of work in, you get the results.
I want to start off by saying that I love sixth form and I'm really enjoying doing my A-levels. Obviously I am very grateful for my education and I don't want this to come across as me whining; I am simply asking for advice.

Since starting year 12 a few weeks ago, I have been obsessing over school. I try and aim for 4 hours of revision per night, plus homework, but I keep getting incredibly stressed over school despite trying my best. Every single thought revolves around my A-levels and the prospect of university, and if I think about it for too long I find myself having a panic attack. I get so stressed that my hair is falling out and I get constant headaches and neck aches, I can't relax, I'm jittery all the time, and it's really disrupting my studies. I think I get stressed because I am petrified of failing the year. I also feel overwhelming guilt every second of the day that I'm not studying. This guilt is very hard to deal with, and I can't sleep at night because I feel so guilty that I'm sleeping instead of studying. No matter how much studying I do, I feel as though it's never ever enough, so even when I'm studying I sometimes feel guilty. I have a part time job and it's only 4 hours a week, but those four hours are torture as I feel overwhelmed with guilt because I'm working instead of studying. I never go out on the weekends anymore either, because I simply cannot deal with the guilt of not studying. I turn 18 on Saturday and I'm dreading it because I know I won't be able to enjoy it due to the guilt and stress I'll feel. Nobody else in my year is anywhere near as stressed as me, and it makes me feel so inadequate and stupid. A teacher told me today that I was very good at English and that she's certain I'll get an A*, but now I just feel horrifically stressed because it's added pressure to get top grades, as if I don't put enough pressure on myself already. I'm finding it difficult to cope with all this stress - does anyone have any advice? I have a history of mental health problems (recovered from depression, anorexia, anxiety) and I am in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers, perhaps this is relevant? Any help would be greatly appreciated, please!

Just relax and don't get too overwhelmed with work. Make sure your doing subjects you enjoy and look don't look at the bigger picture too much (results day), and take each day a step at the time.

The transition from gcse to A-levels is not easy but neither is it impossible.

Most importantly remember to enjoy yourself, happiness and good health is also important for doing good in your exams.
Reply 23
Original post by loperdoper
Simply put, you're way overworking yourself. Doing your homework to the best of your ability and reading ahead for lessons (should take an hour, max) is more than enough until the Easter break. Maybe add a few past papers into the mix for your mocks, maybe, but four hours + homework is far too much for you to be doing. Your mental health comes first, no exception. Take a break, relax, and don't overwork yourself.

If you still feel rubbish, talk to someone in your school. I told my head of year abt anxiety issues I'd developed during gcses and he directed me to a school counselor should I need one. It's likely your school has a similar support system.

I know my mental health comes first, I have such a terrible habit of abandoning it until my doctors have to forcibly intervene :frown: I've seen various therapists, psychologists, doctors and psychiatrists for the past two years, been on too many medications to count, but the thing that has stopped me from getting better is my inability to express how I'm feeling. I have suspected Aspergers (having my assessment in a few weeks hopefully), which means that I can't explain or fully recognise my distressing thoughts and feelings. I am emotionally undeveloped, which makes it hard for traditional talk therapy to have any real use to me :frown:
Reply 24
English literature, history, economics, and REP :smile:
I know my mental health comes first, I have such a terrible habit of abandoning it until my doctors have to forcibly intervene :frown: I've seen various therapists, psychologists, doctors and psychiatrists for the past two years, been on too many medications to count, but the thing that has stopped me from getting better is my inability to express how I'm feeling. I have suspected Aspergers (having my assessment in a few weeks hopefully), which means that I can't explain or fully recognise my distressing thoughts and feelings. I am emotionally undeveloped, which makes it hard for traditional talk therapy to have any real use to me :frown:

It's sucks that you're in this situation, but at least now you've come forward with how you feel and haven't neglected your mental health like in the past, so at least something can be done now rather than much later in the day.
I was in a few of her classes last year, she's not super smart but she does always try her absolute hardest, she took subjects like business and psychology which I think were just too hard for her unfortunately. So even though we're not alike it still scares me. And some of my super intelligent friends failed some exam modules in science/maths, which scares the sh*t out of me because they're a lot smarter than me!!

It is all about complacency, arrogance and procrastination.

This is coming from someone who has done this for my A-levels and now retaking this year.

As long as your doing some sort of work, 6 hrs per each subject every week, than you should be fine.
English literature, history, economics, and REP :smile:

LOOL ARE YOU ME? I've been basically working like in every free period (I have 15 ) and 3 hours after school.

I do literature, history and economics aswell.
WHAT ARE YOUR EXAM boards! Mines is LIT- Ocr
history - Ocr
Economics - Aqa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
REP is philosophy, it's just what we call it for short at college (Religion, Ethics, Philosophy). You did all science and maths, I wish you all the luck in the world, those subjects destroyed my friends!
Reply 29
Original post by xoflower
Thats a bad situation... you probably have free periods where your friends have lessons? Use that time to study very hard and complete homework.

Also, when they are with you just don't talk as much maybe.. and look down at your work.

Work is 1000x more important about friends that don't value your study time. Thank goodness my friends are serious and study quietly with me..

You're lucky, my friends chat constantly and we're always being shushed by the librarian! Yeah I'm going to bring my iPod in from now on and listen to music instead of joining in with their conversation... which sucks because I love talking to my friends but my grades come first.
Reply 30
It's likely there were other factors involved. When I came to do my mocks in January, I got a U in Biology. I worked my ass off (I clocked ten hours on one of the days, it was half term) and retook the mock, only to get a D. The reason I got the grade was because I was studying incorrectly (i.e. revising content when it was actually my exam technique that was the problem), not because I didn't study hard enough. I put in nowhere near the same amount of hours for the actual exam, but worked on a mixture of exam technique and content revision, and came out with an A.

Your friend probably had a similar issue. They may have been revising the content so much they didn't practise exams enough, or they spent their whole time practising exams and was actually quite shaky on the content, so when something came up they didn't recognise, they were stuffed.

It's not about how hard you try, it's about how effectively you work. If you put in the right kind of work in, you get the results.

How do you find out how to effectively study? Everyone is telling me to study effectively/efficiently but I don't know how to do that for myself :s-smilie:
Reply 31
I find philosophy much easier than any science, each to their own haha. Roughly half of my friends doing science had a natural flair and passion for maths science, and the AS levels sucked that out of them. The other half have little interest in science but got straight A*s at GCSE and were heavily pressured by the school/their parents to do maths and science, and as a result didn't have that passion, didn't study as hard as they should have and failed. Yeah pretty much everyone agrees that biology is the hardest and worst science, mostly due to the dry topics and exam boards being incredibly picky when giving out marks. Yup I already have all my revision books, CGP don't do any books for my subjects though!
You're lucky, my friends chat constantly and we're always being shushed by the librarian! Yeah I'm going to bring my iPod in from now on and listen to music instead of joining in with their conversation... which sucks because I love talking to my friends but my grades come first.

The ipod is a good idea! but don't listen to music just pretend you are lol...
Reply 33
It's sucks that you're in this situation, but at least now you've come forward with how you feel and haven't neglected your mental health like in the past, so at least something can be done now rather than much later in the day.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, that by speaking up now I'll be able to sort out this stress problem before my courses properly begin. Unlike at GCSEs when I had a complete breakdown during exam time, had to be hospitalised, didn't sit most of my exams and subsequently failed 4/10 of my GCSEs and didn't get the grades I was hoping for in the others. 2013 wasn't a good year for me haha.
Reply 34
Original post by xoflower
The ipod is a good idea! but don't listen to music just pretend you are lol...

I listen to classical music, it really helps me to concentrate and doesn't distract me like modern music does :tongue:
I listen to classical music, it really helps me to concentrate and doesn't distract me like modern music does :tongue:

Okay thats good, if you listen to music then they will get the fact that you don't wanna talk right now.

How much do you study at home?
Reply 36
Original post by Aegyolawyer^.^
LOOL ARE YOU ME? I've been basically working like in every free period (I have 15 ) and 3 hours after school.

I do literature, history and economics aswell.
WHAT ARE YOUR EXAM boards! Mines is LIT- Ocr
history - Ocr
Economics - Aqa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

15 free periods?! Wow I only have 4! We have different exam boards except for literature it would seem:
Literature - OCR
History - Edexcel
Economics - OCR
REP - Edexcel
For some reason my school never uses AQA, go figure haha.

What do you mean by exam technique?

I'm in year 12 and I wanna get top grades :smile:
Yeah I keep telling myself that I'm working hard so I will do well, we're told buy the college that with A-levels you get out what you put in, and that made me feel much more at ease. Until I spoke to a friend who got D E E U at AS despite trying her absolute hardest, she told me she'd never cried so hard when she opened her results. Which put me straight back in to panic mode! :s-smilie: :frown:

Its not just about working hard - working hard could be that you copy out an entire text book but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an effective way to study. So, it's all about working smart (and that means NOT spending 4 hours a school night revising)
How do you find out how to effectively study? Everyone is telling me to study effectively/efficiently but I don't know how to do that for myself :s-smilie:

Trial and error. I didn't figure out what I was doing wrong until late February. Start studying in one way, pick out a couple of questions from a past paper and try them. If it goes horribly wrong, change your study method.

For now, I would just advise you try a wide range of methods. Flashcards, exam paper questions, copying from a textbook, recording yourself reading notes, teaching others, everything.

And don't panic if you don't do so well in a test here or there. Look over the paper, and read over things to see where they went well/badly, and hopefully you'll be able to see where to improve from there.

Quick Reply

Latest