The Student Room Group

A-Levels make me feel stressed and guilty all the time - help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoflower
What do you mean by exam technique?

I'm in year 12 and I wanna get top grades :smile:

Oh, for instance, in biology papers, I often found myself answering the wrong question (so to speak). Whilst what I had written would technically be correct, I wasn't familiar with the terms they had used, and thus all my answer would be wrong.

I've since thrown away all my year 12 revision work, but I remember one example (OCR Biology - January 2013) that read "Yeast cells separate after cell division. In a multicellular organism, the cells do not separate
but become organised to form the body structure. Describe how the cells in a multicellular organism are organised."

I didn't really understand what the question meant, and I thought it was asking me to discuss what happens during mitosis (and why mitosis is useful), as it mentioned cell division. But it actually wanted me to talk about cells being arranged into tissues, going into organs, etc. My answer was scientifically correct, but I would have got no marks as I answered a different question to the one it was asking.

Practise sorts all this out. By the time the first exam rolled around, I had done every one of those past papers at least twice, a couple three times. By the second exam, I had done all of those past papers at least once (but by this point I was getting solid A's, so there was no point continuing. The first exam I was still getting low B's and C's, hence why I kept revising. Strangely enough, I ended up getting 90% in the first exam, and 84% in the second).
Reply 41
Original post by loperdoper
Trial and error. I didn't figure out what I was doing wrong until late February. Start studying in one way, pick out a couple of questions from a past paper and try them. If it goes horribly wrong, change your study method.

For now, I would just advise you try a wide range of methods. Flashcards, exam paper questions, copying from a textbook, recording yourself reading notes, teaching others, everything.

And don't panic if you don't do so well in a test here or there. Look over the paper, and read over things to see where they went well/badly, and hopefully you'll be able to see where to improve from there.

Thanks for explaining it, I've actually copied your response and written it in my notes so I remember! Luckily my teachers are always making us do plenty of practise essays and exam questions, and already I'm beginning to see my strengths and weaknesses, so hopefully I'll have perfected my technique by exam time!
Reply 42
Okay thats good, if you listen to music then they will get the fact that you don't wanna talk right now.

How much do you study at home?

I am for 4 hours per night, sometimes I even do more, but recently I've been doing a LOT less (around 1 hour) because I just had my birthday, and all my friends/family have been nagging me to relax. Admittedly I have been more relaxed since I cut down but I'm barely having enough time to do homework, revision is out of the question! :frown: I plan on going back to 4 hours today.
Reply 43
Original post by Angelo12231
Its not just about working hard - working hard could be that you copy out an entire text book but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an effective way to study. So, it's all about working smart (and that means NOT spending 4 hours a school night revising)

That's how I study, by copying out of the textbook and making mind maps and flash cards... Is this a bad way to study? How would you recommend I improve my methods?
Reply 44
Original post by loperdoper
Oh, for instance, in biology papers, I often found myself answering the wrong question (so to speak). Whilst what I had written would technically be correct, I wasn't familiar with the terms they had used, and thus all my answer would be wrong.

I've since thrown away all my year 12 revision work, but I remember one example (OCR Biology - January 2013) that read "Yeast cells separate after cell division. In a multicellular organism, the cells do not separate
but become organised to form the body structure. Describe how the cells in a multicellular organism are organised."

I didn't really understand what the question meant, and I thought it was asking me to discuss what happens during mitosis (and why mitosis is useful), as it mentioned cell division. But it actually wanted me to talk about cells being arranged into tissues, going into organs, etc. My answer was scientifically correct, but I would have got no marks as I answered a different question to the one it was asking.

Practise sorts all this out. By the time the first exam rolled around, I had done every one of those past papers at least twice, a couple three times. By the second exam, I had done all of those past papers at least once (but by this point I was getting solid A's, so there was no point continuing. The first exam I was still getting low B's and C's, hence why I kept revising. Strangely enough, I ended up getting 90% in the first exam, and 84% in the second).

Wow, that's quite a turn around. I think this reason is why so many of my friends have failed science at A level. So if I do the practise papers multiple times, and look at the answers that the exam board wants, and read the examiners reports etc I would drastically improve my chances of getting an A?
Reply 45
I'm not even aiming for 4 A*, A grades would be miraculous enough! Holy crap, £300!! So so worth it though! Luckily I have my own printer and our school doesn't charge for printing!
Original post by vanessa409
I am for 4 hours per night, sometimes I even do more, but recently I've been doing a LOT less (around 1 hour) because I just had my birthday, and all my friends/family have been nagging me to relax. Admittedly I have been more relaxed since I cut down but I'm barely having enough time to do homework, revision is out of the question! :frown: I plan on going back to 4 hours today.

Yeah it was my birthday yesterday so I havent been doing much.

What I do is about 3 hours. When I get home I just revise and make notes of what we have done in the lesson.
Then on the weekend I do exam papers.
In free periods I do homework and go over previously written notes.

Btw, a tip my bio teacher said that the way to do well is to go over notes frequently. Thats because looking at a sheet of notes for 4 hrs a few weeks before the exam is not as good as looking over it 1 hour every 2 weeks.
Wow, that's quite a turn around. I think this reason is why so many of my friends have failed science at A level. So if I do the practise papers multiple times, and look at the answers that the exam board wants, and read the examiners reports etc I would drastically improve my chances of getting an A?

It would definitely help, yes. Remember though, you will need the content knowledge backing it, as part of the reason that question threw me was because I had never been asked about "organising the organism" and I wasn't aware that that's how it's referred to in the specification.

I would advise doing a past paper twice before moving onto a new one as well, otherwise you find yourself running out of new papers to try very quickly. If possible, leave doing full papers (although picking out a couple of questions won't hurt) until february/march time, so you can get good practise nearer the time.
Reply 48
Yeah it was my birthday yesterday so I havent been doing much.

What I do is about 3 hours. When I get home I just revise and make notes of what we have done in the lesson.
Then on the weekend I do exam papers.
In free periods I do homework and go over previously written notes.

Btw, a tip my bio teacher said that the way to do well is to go over notes frequently. Thats because looking at a sheet of notes for 4 hrs a few weeks before the exam is not as good as looking over it 1 hour every 2 weeks.

At my college it is compulsory to make notes during lesson, I personally type them up because I type faster than I write and therefore can make more detailed notes. When I get home I print off the notes, read them, highlight any key terms or annotate anything I don't understand, and file them according to subject and topic. Then I do all my homework (takes FOREVER), and if I get that done I'll use a textbook and make more notes on the topics I'm currently studying in class. If I have to learn specific key words or dates I use flash cards. Finally, if I have time before bed, I read around the topic (for example I am currently reading The God Delusion for REP, even though it has not been requested we read it, but simply because it is relevant to the current topic 'Arguments for and against the existence of God').

Do you (or anyone else) think that this is an efficient method of studying? Any ways to improve? Thanks for the tip on going over my notes frequently, and for reminding me to start doing exam papers!
Reply 49
My mother forces me to use the printer at home because we used recycled paper, she's really keen on the environment haha
I want to start off by saying that I love sixth form and I'm really enjoying doing my A-levels. Obviously I am very grateful for my education and I don't want this to come across as me whining; I am simply asking for advice.

Since starting year 12 a few weeks ago, I have been obsessing over school. I try and aim for 4 hours of revision per night, plus homework, but I keep getting incredibly stressed over school despite trying my best. Every single thought revolves around my A-levels and the prospect of university, and if I think about it for too long I find myself having a panic attack. I get so stressed that my hair is falling out and I get constant headaches and neck aches, I can't relax, I'm jittery all the time, and it's really disrupting my studies. I think I get stressed because I am petrified of failing the year. I also feel overwhelming guilt every second of the day that I'm not studying. This guilt is very hard to deal with, and I can't sleep at night because I feel so guilty that I'm sleeping instead of studying. No matter how much studying I do, I feel as though it's never ever enough, so even when I'm studying I sometimes feel guilty. I have a part time job and it's only 4 hours a week, but those four hours are torture as I feel overwhelmed with guilt because I'm working instead of studying. I never go out on the weekends anymore either, because I simply cannot deal with the guilt of not studying. I turn 18 on Saturday and I'm dreading it because I know I won't be able to enjoy it due to the guilt and stress I'll feel. Nobody else in my year is anywhere near as stressed as me, and it makes me feel so inadequate and stupid. A teacher told me today that I was very good at English and that she's certain I'll get an A*, but now I just feel horrifically stressed because it's added pressure to get top grades, as if I don't put enough pressure on myself already. I'm finding it difficult to cope with all this stress - does anyone have any advice? I have a history of mental health problems (recovered from depression, anorexia, anxiety) and I am in the process of being diagnosed with Aspergers, perhaps this is relevant? Any help would be greatly appreciated, please!

You need to get yourself a planner. Write down Times when tou will do work and times you will relax. Then when it's time to relax, totally let go of work. Watch tv, go on reddit, exercise, clean, just anything that isn't school work.
Your work ethic is superb though. I'm struggling to get my brother to even pick up a book, so you're definitely on the right track
Reply 51
Talk to your GP- it may seem embarrassing or scary at first, but I suffered badly with stress and anxiety during GCSEs, to the point where it would, like you are experiencing, disrupt my studying. If you explain your symptoms and situation, they can send to over to CAMHS (Child and Adult Mental Health Services) and you can see a counsellor/therapist. They have confidentiality agreements, so your friends/school etc will not be told about your anxiety unless you want them to be. (Bear in mind they legally have to tell your parents or carers if they think you are "at risk"- e.g. are abusing drugs/alcohol or have demonstrated suicidal tendencies). This was useful for me as they are real qualified nurses and doctors with knowledge of how to help you overcome or even just deal with anxiety. If you explain your situation and that this is impacting your school life, they may be willing to see you sooner. There is usually a waiting list of a few months (as it is a free NHS service), but I was able to see someone in just a few weeks after I explained that I needed help with anxiety before my exams.

Also, I suffered from a lot of physical anxiety/panic attacks, e.g. feeling sick, having headaches and panic attacks, and the doctor gave me beta blocker tablets, which are very helpful. They are not at all addictive, as they work on the body, not the brain, so there is no risk of addiction at all. They were originally designed for people with high blood pressure, as they lower heart rate, but are frequently given to people suffering panic attacks, as panic usually happens when adrenaline (flight or fight response hormone) is produced in the brain during stress, which causes heart rate to increase, causing the sick feeling, headaches and sweaty palms/hot flushes etc.

With regards to the amount you are studying, I would recommend cutting down, at least at this stage. I don't know what your school has recommended, but at my sixth form, we were advised to spend around an hour every night studying (making consolidation cards or going over notes etc) plus doing any homework we get. Obviously nearer to exams, it may be reasonable to do 4 or more hours a night, but think of A Levels as a marathon (this is what we were told)- you don't want to burn yourself out at the start. Take it easier now (whilst obviously still doing the work needed) so you have the energy to really push ahead at the start of next year (jan/feb time when I assume people will really start revising and hardcore studying).

Also, there may be people at school you can speak to (advice/support teachers) who again will be confidential and give you someone to go to if you feel you cannot cope when at school.
That's how I study, by copying out of the textbook and making mind maps and flash cards... Is this a bad way to study? How would you recommend I improve my methods?

really? revising smart doesn't take 4 hours a night. Your methods are fine, though it's baffling why you take so long to copy from a text book.
Reply 53
Original post by SamTheMan95
You need to get yourself a planner. Write down Times when tou will do work and times you will relax. Then when it's time to relax, totally let go of work. Watch tv, go on reddit, exercise, clean, just anything that isn't school work.
Your work ethic is superb though. I'm struggling to get my brother to even pick up a book, so you're definitely on the right track

I'm one step ahead of you; I have a Filofax to keep track of my daily events, and I have an the calendar and timetable apps on my iPad (which I bring to school) which syncs to my macbook at home! Thanks for that advice, I will definitely write myself out a timetable to organise my free time asap! He sounds like my sister, I'm having a hard time to persuade her to stay in school.
Reply 54
Original post by Angelo12231
really? revising smart doesn't take 4 hours a night. Your methods are fine, though it's baffling why you take so long to copy from a text book.

2 of the 4 hours are spent doing homework. I get a lot of homework, and I am a perfectionist, so I put 100% into every piece of work I do (cheesy but I don't know how else to word it), and as a result it takes me a long time to do my work. The other 2 hours are spent copying from a textbook and making notes/flash cards. This takes me so long because I can't tell the difference between important relevant information and unimportant irrelevant information that is just there to fluff up the textbook. I try really hard to just write down the key facts but I really cannot tell them apart from unimportant facts. I end up just copying the textbook word for word, but I always rearrange the word order in case someone finds my notes and accuses me of plagiarism. I know that copying from a textbook is not plagiarism but I that does not stop me from feeling guilty when I do so.
Reply 55
How do I study smart? I've heard of people talk about studying smart before but I've never been taught how to do it.
Thanks for the link, I found it pretty helpful :smile:

http://www.planetofsuccess.com/blog/2012/how-to-study-smart-not-hard/
At my college it is compulsory to make notes during lesson, I personally type them up because I type faster than I write and therefore can make more detailed notes. When I get home I print off the notes, read them, highlight any key terms or annotate anything I don't understand, and file them according to subject and topic. Then I do all my homework (takes FOREVER), and if I get that done I'll use a textbook and make more notes on the topics I'm currently studying in class. If I have to learn specific key words or dates I use flash cards. Finally, if I have time before bed, I read around the topic (for example I am currently reading The God Delusion for REP, even though it has not been requested we read it, but simply because it is relevant to the current topic 'Arguments for and against the existence of God').

Do you (or anyone else) think that this is an efficient method of studying? Any ways to improve? Thanks for the tip on going over my notes frequently, and for reminding me to start doing exam papers!

Thats a very good plan! :smile:

Do you have a study timetable, you should make one! When you do make one you could include times throughout the week to go over what has been previously learnt.

This October half term I think I'm gonna look at all the exam papers and answer questions, then try and notice any trends in the mark scheme

Quick Reply

Latest