The Student Room Group

Would you consider dating a convincing android? Why or why not?

For those of you that would: How could you consider passing over an actual human being for something that can't possibly understand your feelings or possess its own?

For those of you that wouldn't: How do you expect your supposedly superior carbon-based romantic partner to prove that his or her feelings are more real than that of an android? It could be argued that those whom we consider to be "real people" are actually biochemical robots, anyway. If both appear to have feelings, what makes a figment of biochemistry better than a figment of electronics?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
what?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nmanvi
what?

You'll have to be slightly more specific.
Reply 3
Hmmm in my mind the question is 'could I date Data from Star Trek?'

I think some parts would be easier when dating an android but more so, a lot would be missing. Its a tricky question to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I prefer iOS. :wink:
Hell yes - our realities and personalities are just projections of our inner selves, and I can see great benefits to it...

... I mean, what?
Original post by IanDangerously
No, I prefer iOS. :wink:

Lol, my thoughts exactly when I read the title.
Reply 7
It depends...could I switch them off when I wanted?
Original post by syrettd
It depends...could I switch them off when I wanted?

If you could, they wouldn't be very convincing, would they?

I mean, I guess you can switch anybody off for a while if you hit them over the head hard enough. They may not want to be your significant other afterwards, though.
Probably. If this android was pretty much human looking with real skin etc..
If she'd been given a witty name like Anne Droid I'd consider it.
Original post by mrfletch
If she'd been given a witty name like Anne Droid I'd consider it.

Ok, that's it. I'm done with human men. I want a female android with that name, and I won't settle for anything less! Some say it's high standards, I say it's getting what I want.
No

In my mind I would know there is no meaningful connection, because despite all the things this robot would be doing or the recorded messages it would be playing, it would just be the product of some really great programming.
Original post by yo radical one
No

In my mind I would know there is no meaningful connection, because despite all the things this robot would be doing or the recorded messages it would be playing, it would just be the product of some really great programming.

But what if humans are just the product of some really great programming? :iiam:
Original post by syrettd
But what if humans are just the product of some really great programming? :iiam:

I did think about this while typing out the post and whilst you are correct, we are living things made of non-living material. There is very clearly something about us which is so very different and much more unique than a really well made computer.
only one that has achieved self realisation, i.e. a geth etc
Original post by Greg Jackson
only one that has achieved self realisation, i.e. a geth etc

How would you know if it had?
Bomp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending