The Student Room Group

Electrical engineering question

I am thinking bout apply for electrical engineering courses for next year because it is something I am interested in but the only real knowledge I have is from A level maths and physics. Do many of engineering students have much more prior knowledge then what they were taught in college before starting the course or not? Will I find it difficult if I don't do much research before the course starts?
Original post by jamesss96
I am thinking bout apply for electrical engineering courses for next year because it is something I am interested in but the only real knowledge I have is from A level maths and physics. Do many of engineering students have much more prior knowledge then what they were taught in college before starting the course or not? Will I find it difficult if I don't do much research before the course starts?

Hi I don't think you need to study any of the actual engineering stuff, you'll learn that when you're there.

If you can, study further maths and do as many further maths modules as possible.
Original post by jamesss96
As with any subject, the more you know, the easier it becomes. However do not be concerned - there will be others (perhaps mature students transferring from vocational engineering courses and work experience) with a lot of prior knowledge and also fresher's with hardly any knowledge other than A-levels. You will not be alone in that.

As the previous poster said, concentrate on Further Maths and Physics.

Engineering is so much more than these subjects though. Depending on your course, you may also cover statutory law, project management, behavioural science, finance, marketing, risk management, health and safety, design, production, materials, applications etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest