The Student Room Group

Female Genital Mutilation?

As someone who is neutral in regards to FGM, I would be interested is seeing a debate where I could listen to those in favour of FGM and those against. Does anyone know where I could find debates like these or would I have to start one up myself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
...How can you be neutral to FGM? :confused:
I think you'll have to start on yourself or just google it, and just putting it out there I'm against. Read this amazing book called desert flower by waris dirie, and she talks about battling fgm.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall

Well millions of people seem to engage in male genital mutilation and there is hardly any outcry about that...
Original post by josh_v
Well millions of people seem to engage in male genital mutilation and there is hardly any outcry about that...

Though I completely and utterly disagree with male circumcision they are not comparable in terms of the damage done. It's like comparing a punch in the face to a stab wound, both are wrong but they are not comparable.

Though once again to make it clear, I DO NOT agree with MGM.
We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.

We would upset the immigrant community if we start banning things.

And I doubt most right wingers care about what happens to Muslim women.
Reply 7
Original post by Tazpenguin
I think you'll have to start on yourself or just google it, and just putting it out there I'm against. Read this amazing book called desert flower by waris dirie, and she talks about battling fgm.

Thank you, I will read it.
Original post by josh_v

Because circumcision is not as pervasive and dangerous to men as FGM is to women and their babies.

The more extreme forms of FGM are more the equivalent of chopping off the whole penis so a man can't ever have a sex life only with the addition of making childbirth very much more difficult as well. Barbaric.
Reply 9
Original post by democracyforum
We are a moderate, tolerant country. This is the 21st Century,
where our capital city is now less than 50% white and the most tolerant
and diverse on earth, where gay marriage is not just accepted but
celebrated, and where our greatest Olympic hero (Mo Farah) is a black
Muslim man of Somali background.

We would upset the immigrant community if we start banning things.

And I doubt most right wingers care about what happens to Muslim women.

Mo Farah is not the greatest Olympic hero, in terms of British athletes, it would be Chris Hoy. If it needs to be banned (which I do not believe it does need to be), then I could care less about upsetting the immigrant population, I want facts, the physiological damage done. Generally, I would agree though, Islam is a ridiculously backward religion but I am in favour of leaving them to rot in their ignorance. In regards to FGM I am neutral and open to hearing both sides.
Reply 10
Original post by pickup
Because circumcision is not as pervasive and dangerous to men as FGM is to women and their babies.

The more extreme forms of FGM are more the equivalent of chopping off the whole penis so a man can't ever have a sex life only with the addition of making childbirth very much more difficult as well. Barbaric.

So because it isn't as dangerous is a valid argument for it largely being accepted?

Personally I'd see no child have their genitals mutilated until they can freely choose that for themselves.
Reply 11
Though I completely and utterly disagree with male circumcision they are not comparable in terms of the damage done. It's like comparing a punch in the face to a stab wound, both are wrong but they are not comparable.

Though once again to make it clear, I DO NOT agree with MGM.

I fail to see how they are that different. I have heard people say that FGM denies women sexual pleasure but that is not really a good argument for banning it. There are more important things in life than hedonism.
Reply 12
Original post by pickup

Maybe there are concerns about the women's fidelity?
Original post by hadtobedone
I fail to see how they are that different. I have heard people say that FGM denies women sexual pleasure but that is not really a good argument for banning it. There are more important things in life than hedonism.

I think it actually is a very good argument against it, you may not find a healthy sex life important or pleasure from sex important but many people do and FGM takes that choice away from the people affected.

FGM along with completely ruining a woman's ability to enjoy sex also:

-means the removal of all the outer genitalia (clitoris and labia) this can cause serious infections and even sepsis as well as significant pain.
- sometimes the entrance to the vagina is narrowed by repositions and cutting into the labia, this would make sex extremely painful, could also cause serious infections and sepsis.
-victims are also sometimes cut and burned in the vaginal area
- the vagina will also sometimes literally be sewn shut and the stitches will then be ripped open on the wedding night by the husband, a type of pain I cannot even imagine

complications include:
-shock
-infections including tetanus, HIV, hepatitis b and c
-sepsis
- the woman is sometime also left unable to urinate
damage to the urethra and bowel can also occur and

- long term chronic infections to the vaginal urinary area
-abnormal periods
-possible kidney damage and failure
-infertility
-psychological damage
-flashbacks to the procedure (which often done when the woman is a child around 15)
-the need for surgery to open the vagina further during childbirth or sex as it is too damaged
-cysts and scar tissue

please tell me again how FGM is anything like MGM
(edited 9 years ago)
Mo Farah is not the greatest Olympic hero, in terms of British athletes, it would be Chris Hoy. If it needs to be banned (which I do not believe it does need to be), then I could care less about upsetting the immigrant population, I want facts, the physiological damage done. Generally, I would agree though, Islam is a ridiculously backward religion but I am in favour of leaving them to rot in their ignorance. In regards to FGM I am neutral and open to hearing both sides.

Just read it up on Wikipedia. It's not an Islam thing but widespread in 27 countries.

As a previous contributor said I wouldn't want any child to be mutilated, male or female.

How can you not think it should be banned ? It's an assault of the most cruel kind on a defenceless child with horrendous implications for her health and well being for the rest of her life.
Maybe there are concerns about the women's fidelity?

If there are questions about a man's fidelity would you be okay with him being castrated? and unable to have sex?

Doubt it.
Reply 16
If there are questions about a man's fidelity would you be okay with him being castrated? and unable to have sex?

Doubt it.

Ultimately, it is a traditional cultural practice. So long as someone who comes from one of these cultures gets a job works hard, is not a benefit scrounger and contributes to society, then whatever they do in their own home is up to them.
Ultimately, it is a traditional cultural practice. So long as someone who comes from one of these cultures gets a job works hard, is not a benefit scrounger and contributes to society, then whatever they do in their own home is up to them.

Not in the UK it's not FGM is illegal in the UK, and it is also illegal to take someone from the UK to another country to perform FGM, it can carry a sentence of up to 14 years in prison.

My thoughts exactly.
How can you be neutral (just as worse as supporting it) on such a topic, evidence clearly shows it causes injury for non-medical reasons and the procedure itself has no health benefits.

Original post by Mike.Ross
My thoughts exactly.
How can you be neutral (just as worse as supporting it) on such a topic, evidence clearly shows it causes injury for non-medical reasons and the procedure itself has no health benefits.

**** knows.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending