The Student Room Group

Is there a creative alternative to banking?

Hey guys. Sorry if this sounds a bit small minded and greedy, but, yeah.

So i'm thinking about a career in finance because lets be honest, even though i want to do something cool and interesting with my life i also like the idea of making money, driving nice cars, and living in a nice are. (as much as my subconscious tries to rally against this type of materialistic greediness).

Could anyone recommend any cool jobs that don't involve things like networking, (the idea of networking makes me want to be ill), and are creative and not so straight edged like 'graduate accountancy'?

I would look for myself but i'm not sure enough of what it is i'm looking for and what i think will make me happy. I spend a lot of time worrying / making plans for my future that change like clockwork.

Don't be afraid of posting something that you think i won't like - really fire away, if anyone can help, T'wud be great.

Thanks. X
(edited 9 years ago)
Your primary motivation for a job in finance is the money. So you're looking for a job that is well paid, a job that is creative, it also can't involve networking and you've already ruled out a significant chunk of the jobs available in the field?

I'll save you some time. There is no such job. Move on, this isn't for you

Original post by physicso

I would look for myself but i'm not sure enough of what it is i'm looking for and what i think will make me happy

Oh no worries! we'll just go ahead and figure that out for you then..
Reply 2
Original post by Squ33zed
Your primary motivation for a job in finance is the money. So you're looking for a job that is well paid, a job that is creative, it also can't involve networking and you've already ruled out a significant chunk of the jobs available in the field?

I'll save you some time. There is no such job. Move on, this isn't for you

Oh no worries! we'll just go ahead and figure that out for you then..

Pretty brutal, but that was expected!

Cheers for replying :smile:
Reply 3
You could try robbing banks. That's the closest job I can think of to your requirements.
Lol, you only get to the big money if you are willing to network to get the promotions!
Original post by AW1983
You could try robbing banks. That's the closest job I can think of to your requirements.

Agreed, OP would probably be happy with the life of a conman, provided he's good at it. Madoff 2 perhaps.
Reply 6
No, Madoff had to network.
Reply 7
Well this didn't go in the direction i wanted it to
Lottery winner.
Quant at a bank? You'll need a PhD though.
Original post by physicso
Well this didn't go in the direction i wanted it to

Hi Physicso
I want the same sort of things, as strange as the following may sound its fact, google some of whats below its all a good read. I,m just taking a shot here you may have the numerical knowledge to help me with something - if yes you will benefit too - in cash.
This is about statistics and making the right model that can be applied to the data set I have, it would be a predictive model, or some would know it as a "financial black box project". I,v sought help with this and have met with scepticism, time wasters and probably disbelief too but I know as fact it can be done and if your already involved in banking I,m sure you will already be aware. So what is it ? In a nutshell the right model will be a near perfect professional betting system, again I,m sure you must know that the accuracy of these models coupled with betting by virtue are worth a fortune and do indeed already exist. People around the world are using their own data to do this right now and it frustrates the hell out of me. I have the data but need the help, so do you want to know more ? Can we move forward ? I hope so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending