The Student Room Group

subsea engineering

Hi. I would like to know what universities offer subsea engineering. I saw online University of Aberdeen offers one course. And university of Houston just established one as well. I need some advice regarding this course; what does this differs from petroleum engineering and what is the advantage studying in University of Aberdeen. And what other universities that offer this course.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tobyj
Hi. I would like to know what universities offer subsea engineering. I saw online University of Aberdeen offers one course. And university of Houston just established one as well. I need some advice regarding this course; what does this differs from petroleum engineering and what is the advantage studying in University of Aberdeen. And what other universities that offer this course.

Hi

Tbh I think subsea engineering is mainly a masters degree. Do any branch of engineering at undergrad then do a masters in subsea in engineering.
Original post by tobyj

Petroleum engineering is about efficient production of hydrocarbons from the reservoir. Subsea engineering is about the subsea facilities and equipment used to extract offshore oil and gas, as well as renewables. So to that end, they're essentially completely different.

I'm in subsea myself. In reality an undergrad degree in mechanical or civil is more than sufficient to enter the industry, although the MSc can help, I suppose, if you're not having much luck or aren't from a mechanical or civil background.
Original post by Smack
Petroleum engineering is about efficient production of hydrocarbons from the reservoir. Subsea engineering is about the subsea facilities and equipment used to extract offshore oil and gas, as well as renewables. So to that end, they're essentially completely different.

I'm in subsea myself. In reality an undergrad degree in mechanical or civil is more than sufficient to enter the industry, although the MSc can help, I suppose, if you're not having much luck or aren't from a mechanical or civil background.

What's the salary of a subsea engineer?
Original post by Qu'est-ce que
What's the salary of a subsea engineer?

Depends which position, level, company, experience etc...
Original post by Smack
Depends which position, level, company, experience etc...

Starting salary I mean ie no experience?
Starting salary I mean ie no experience?

Again, depends on which company and what precisely you're doing. Anything between £28,000 to £40,000+.
Original post by Smack
Again, depends on which company and what precisely you're doing. Anything between £28,000 to £40,000+.

Is it more than petroleum engineers? Can one do it with a b/MEng in petroleum engineering?
Is it more than petroleum engineers? Can one do it with a b/MEng in petroleum engineering?

I don't know whether it's more than petroleum, since I'm not in that field. Probably couldn't go into subsea with a petroleum degree since it's not really relevant.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack

Thank you so much for the information! I just graduated with MEng in chemical engineering and considering the subsea course for postgraduate degree. Is uni of Aberdeen a good place to study this course?
Original post by tobyj
Thank you so much for the information! I just graduated with MEng in chemical engineering and considering the subsea course for postgraduate degree. Is uni of Aberdeen a good place to study this course?

Coming from a chem background, you could struggle. I think you'd be better placed going into process or flow assurance, rather than doing an MSc in subsea, although Aberdeen is a good place to do it.
hi smack.
where did you study subsea engineering?
Original post by eschmitzo
hi smack.
where did you study subsea engineering?

I didn't, I did mechanical.
Original post by Smack
I didn't, I did mechanical.

ok, but where?
I'm just looking for info on UK universities.
Original post by eschmitzo
ok, but where?
I'm just looking for info on UK universities.

RGU in Aberdeen. If you're interested in subsea also look at Aberdeen, Heriot Watt, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde too.
Reply 15
Original post by Smack
RGU in Aberdeen. If you're interested in subsea also look at Aberdeen, Heriot Watt, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde too.

hey mate, ive read on the forum here that you did your bachelors in mechanical and are in the subsea industry right now. That's exactly the career path i am looking at. So if you don't mind may i ask you some questions? Would be great if i could send you a private message but i think you are out of storage.

cheers
Original post by malefni
hey mate, ive read on the forum here that you did your bachelors in mechanical and are in the subsea industry right now. That's exactly the career path i am looking at. So if you don't mind may i ask you some questions? Would be great if i could send you a private message but i think you are out of storage.

cheers

You can definitely ask questions, but I'd prefer if you did it openly rather than via PM.
Reply 17
Original post by Smack
You can definitely ask questions, but I'd prefer if you did it openly rather than via PM.

Sure. Isit easy to get a subsea job with a mechanical engineering degree? From what I have gathered from talking to people in the oil and gas industry, without experience it's hard to get a job as a fresh graduate unless you have very good contacts who recommend you. Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by malefni
Sure. Isit easy to get a subsea job with a mechanical engineering degree? From what I have gathered from talking to people in the oil and gas industry, without experience it's hard to get a job as a fresh graduate unless you have very good contacts who recommend you. Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true from my experience. Most of the big companies take on many fresh graduates per year, and in reality, "contacts" doesn't really mean anything.
Original post by Smack

[INDENT]RGU in Aberdeen. If you're interested in subsea also look at Aberdeen, Heriot Watt, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde too.[/INDENT]

thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending