The Student Room Group

Doubts about university and tuition fees question

I moved to university yesterday, and I'm already having doubts. I think these doubts are more about the social side of university. I know people say you're supposed to feel like this but all I've really been doing is crying (it was good until all they talked about was alcohol and going out). All the people in my flat drink, so they went out last night, I don't drink so I didn't go.

Apparently you become liable for 25% of your tuition fees on the first day of term. That's the 22nd for me, but I don't enroll until the Tuesday afternoon (23rd). So do I become liable after I've enrolled or will it be straight away on the Monday?

I'm saying this because there's introductions to the course on the Monday and before enrolment on the Tuesday, so if I don't become liable until enrolment, then I can go to these activities and see whether I can make friends there. But if I become liable before these activities begin, I'm going to have to make my mind up as to whether university is for me, without trying the course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by harriet__
I'm saying this because there's introductions to the course on the Monday and before enrolment on the Tuesday, so if I don't become liable until enrolment, then I can go to these activities and see whether I can make friends there. But if I become liable before these activities begin, I'm going to have to make my mind up as to whether university is for me, without trying the course.

I really don't think you can make that decision without going and meeting the people on your course and trying to make friends there, or joining societies as a way of meeting people.
I knew people who didn't get on with their flatmates, only the people doing their course.
I wouldn't recommend basing this decision on your flatmates, without going and starting the course or anything, because you have no idea what it'll be like, you could absolutely love it
Reply 2
Original post by bumblebee342
I really don't think you can make that decision without going and meeting the people on your course and trying to make friends there, or joining societies as a way of meeting people.
I knew people who didn't get on with their flatmates, only the people doing their course.
I wouldn't recommend basing this decision on your flatmates, without going and starting the course or anything, because you have no idea what it'll be like, you could absolutely love it

I don't want to start the course to decide I want to leave, if I have to pay 25% of my tuition fees. I'll start it if I'm not liable until enrolment, not sure about that though.
I don't want to start the course to decide I want to leave, if I have to pay 25% of my tuition fees. I'll start it if I'm not liable until enrolment, not sure about that though.

That's the chance that everyone takes unfortunately. You drop out before you've even started the course (or met anyone), you have no idea whether you actually want to do it or not.
Reply 4
I moved to university yesterday, and I'm already having doubts. I think these doubts are more about the social side of university. I know people say you're supposed to feel like this but all I've really been doing is crying (it was good until all they talked about was alcohol and going out). All the people in my flat drink, so they went out last night, I don't drink so I didn't go.

Apparently you become liable for 25% of your tuition fees on the first day of term. That's the 22nd for me, but I don't enroll until the Tuesday afternoon (23rd). So do I become liable after I've enrolled or will it be straight away on the Monday?

Why on earth did you pick a course if you have no idea if you want to do it?!

Secondly - Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't join other people. Deliberately isolating yourself is not going to help.

TBH it makes no difference, you still get funding for a uni course + 1 year. Whether you dropped out now or later you'd still owe some money.
IMO - man up, stop being a hermit and go out with people and enjoy your course that you picked.
Reply 5
Original post by Inazuma
Why on earth did you pick a course if you have no idea if you want to do it?!

Secondly - Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't join other people. Deliberately isolating yourself is not going to help.

TBH it makes no difference, you still get funding for a uni course + 1 year. Whether you dropped out now or later you'd still owe some money.
IMO - man up, stop being a hermit and go out with people and enjoy your course that you picked.

Thanks but it's not about the course, I picked the course because I like it.
:frown: especially if you got in through clearing and have no accommodation in uni halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks but it's not about the course, I picked the course because I like it.

Okay well then if it's just about making friends then equally basing you decision on a few days is silly.
I made my good friends in February - not so much before. My flatmates weren't my besties, one still is but none of my main friends are at all.
Stop worrying and carry on, esp. if you enjoy your course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending