The Student Room Group

How often do you clean your bathroom (En Suite)

How often will I need to clean my bathroom in an En Suite room at university?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a cleaner to clean my bathroom - is this allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would you pay money for someone to clean your tiny en-suite room? :confused:
why dont you just do it yourself?

*has a feeling i really am setting myself up here
I currently have an ensuite at home and I clean it once a week - while putting bleach down the loo and wiping the shower/sink everyday.

It's really not difficult at all and the everyday bits take hardly any time. You won't need to get a cleaner, the bathroom's hardly going to be huge :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by M I C R O
Why would you pay money for someone to clean your tiny en-suite room? :confused:

Original post by silverbolt
why dont you just do it yourself?

*has a feeling i really am setting myself up here

Because I've never cleaned a toilet before and the thought of it kind of grosses me out.

Please answer, how often will I need to have the bathroom cleaned?
Depends how drunk you get and how often :colone:
Reply 6
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Depends how drunk you get and how often :colone:

I don't drink at all.
Original post by Da Di Doo
I don't drink at all.

A human that doesn't drink at all - a real medical mystery :rolleyes:
Because I've never cleaned a toilet before and the thought of it kind of grosses me out.

Kind of gro.................oh boy.

You put some bleach under the rim and scrub with the toilet brush if needs be. Or get toiletduck/harpic/tesco own brand rim clip on to do the worst of it

And you can clean it when it needs cleaning or do it each day (takes a couple of minutes).Its not hard.

Seriously you cant clean?
Reply 9

Even if it's your own toilet, and it's you whose messed it?... o-o

I think perhaps you may need to just grit your teeth and do it. You never know when you future partner/children/parent in law might throw up in the toilet and you have to clean it up :biggrin:
It really won't take that much to clean YOUR OWN bathroom only YOU are using.
It's not like you'll be cleaning the shared bathroom and when you get your own place you'll have to clean yourself and chances are your first place you won't have the money to pay for a cleaner.

Trust me you'll be fine :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're the only one that's going to be using the toilet though...

To answer your question, my mum cleans the every day but once a week should be fine for you.
Reply 12
Original post by silverbolt
Kind of gro.................oh boy.

You put some bleach under the rim and scrub with the toilet brush if needs be. Or get toiletduck/harpic/tesco own brand rim clip on to do the worst of it

And you can clean it when it needs cleaning or do it each day (takes a couple of minutes).Its not hard.

Seriously you cant clean?

I've never done it before and so I'm kind of worried.

Oh God everyday? Can I not just get a cleaner to come and scrub the entire bathroom clean every week? Or is that considered unhygienic?
I cleaned my en suite last year properly twice a month, and then just wiped the sink, brushed the loo etc. when it needed it or before I had guests.
It depends a bit on how messy you are - are you a Big Clean-er, or a Do It As You Go Along-er? It also depends on the surfaces - mine was a plastic wetroom that was really easy to clean, but a room with a "proper" floor and a bath would take longer!

In my first year I had an en suite that was cleaned by accommodation staff anyway (once a week) so you might not need to hire a cleaner. If you don't have one, it's probably not worth paying someone. Cleaning a loo is easy, bleach inside and scrub with brush, then wipe seat and lid with a cloth which you throw away immediately afterwards. I don't see why it's any worse than cleaning yourself after you do your business anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
A human that doesn't drink at all - a real medical mystery :rolleyes:

Drink, as in alcohol. I don't consume alcohol. Lool, I drink other stuff. Like blood.. Erm, I mean water.
Reply 15
When it gets dirty... clean it. Uni is all about new experiences, maybe make cleaning your bathroom one of them? I'm sure once you've done it a few times it's not going to bother you at all.
Reply 16
I doubt you could hire a cleaner for such a small job, it's not worth their effort to go.

Weekly- toilet bleached and clean seat, wipe surfaces, clean floor, wash any mat, clean mirror, clean bottom of the shower. Every now and again you'll see the soap scum build up around the bottom of the shower so give it a proper scrum with scum remover.
Reply 17
Original post by M I C R O
Even if it's your own toilet, and it's you whose messed it?... o-o

I think perhaps you may need to just grit your teeth and do it. You never know when you future partner/children/parent in law might throw up in the toilet and you have to clean it up :biggrin:

Ohhh Godd you're making me quesy!!
Original post by misscherie
It really won't take that much to clean YOUR OWN bathroom only YOU are using.
It's not like you'll be cleaning the shared bathroom and when you get your own place you'll have to clean yourself and chances are your first place you won't have the money to pay for a cleaner.

Trust me you'll be fine :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is true. I guess I was worried for no reason haha

Original post by Mindless Behavior
You're the only one that's going to be using the toilet though...

To answer your question, my mum cleans the every day but once a week should be fine for you.

Ok! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Katie_p
I cleaned my en suite last year properly twice a month, and then just wiped the sink, brushed the loo etc. when it needed it or before I had guests.
It depends a bit on how messy you are - are you a Big Clean-er, or a Do It As You Go Along-er? It also depends on the surfaces - mine was a plastic wetroom that was really easy to clean, but a room with a "proper" floor and a bath would take longer!

In my first year I had an en suite that was cleaned by accommodation staff anyway (once a week) so you might not need to hire a cleaner. If you don't have one, it's probably not worth paying someone. Cleaning a loo is easy, bleach inside and scrub with brush, then wipe seat and lid with a cloth which you throw away immediately afterwards. I don't see why it's any worse than cleaning yourself after you do your business anyway.

So once every two weeks? Yeah that seems good.

I'll contact my Uni choices to see if they have staff who clean en suite bathrooms.
Reply 19
Original post by Squeagle
When it gets dirty... clean it. Uni is all about new experiences, maybe make cleaning your bathroom one of them? I'm sure once you've done it a few times it's not going to bother you at all.

Yeah, I guess so.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest