The Student Room Group

Young men 70% more likely than young women to live with parents

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Le Nombre
Genuinely don't know how people do it, I'd crawl through broken glass rather than live at home again. I'm an adult, not a child.

You don't need their handouts, you're an adult!
Reply 61
Original post by Riku
MIser what were you getting at here?

You implied that the situation was a fault of modern young men; if this were the case, it ought not exist historically. Women marrying older men is, however, a historical phenomenon, so this would seem to be in contradiction with your argument.
I'll ask again...😄
Do you think it could have something to do with the fact that singlewomen that have never had children earn more than men in the same age group?
Reply 63
Original post by miser
You implied that the situation was a fault of modern young men; if this were the case, it ought not exist historically. Women marrying older men is, however, a historical phenomenon, so this would seem to be in contradiction with your argument.

OF course, and women know why they do that, but I am yet to see one admit they are also in the wrong/that action is a form of passing responsibility. Always defensive with 'it's cos frankly we're better at jobs than you' etc. Ateast it is on this board which I don't understand...

A few women have wrote articles on the epidemic of 'pathetic man children' tbh
Reply 64
Original post by Riku
OF course, and women know why they do that, but I am yet to see one admit they are also in the wrong/that action is a form of passing responsibility. Always defensive with 'it's cos frankly we're better at jobs than you' etc. Ateast it is on this board which I don't understand...

A few women have wrote articles on the epidemic of 'pathetic man children' tbh

Why do you think it is wrong to prefer relationships with older men? Or have I misunderstood?
Lets be honest, the rise in house prices, relative drop in wages and lack of secure/permanent employment has had the biggest impact in young people of both sexes living with their parents for a longer period of time.
I don't see why this is an opinion poll. You can't agree or disagree with statistics (unless they're flawed).

"A breakdown of the figures along gender lines showed that for every 10 women aged 20-34 who lived with their parents in 2013, 17 men did so. The ONS said this substantial difference could be explained by looking at the living situations of young adults."
"In the 20-34 age group, over 600,000 more women than men were living as part of a couple in their own household," it said. "The main reason for this is that, on average, women form partnerships with men older than themselves. Thus more women than men in this age group were married or cohabiting."

"In addition, 589,000 more women than men were lone parents in their own household, and women were more likely to take part in higher education than men, leving the family home to do so."
Reply 67
Original post by hellodave5
I don't see why this is an opinion poll. You can't agree or disagree with statistics (unless they're flawed).

"A breakdown of the figures along gender lines showed that for every 10 women aged 20-34 who lived with their parents in 2013, 17 men did so. The ONS said this substantial difference could be explained by looking at the living situations of young adults."
"In the 20-34 age group, over 600,000 more women than men were living as part of a couple in their own household," it said. "The main reason for this is that, on average, women form partnerships with men older than themselves. Thus more women than men in this age group were married or cohabiting."

"In addition, 589,000 more women than men were lone parents in their own household, and women were more likely to take part in higher education than men, leving the family home to do so."

The question was about the politically incorrectpart of my OP that a mod deleted, basically how women have many more opportunities (and social acceptance) to leech off men or the state while men have to create their own success in order to be seen as ''worthy''.
Original post by Riku
Yes because women are more emotionally mature than men, they know it therefore they don't care to condescend to hang around with the little boys their own age and look for a real man.

That is just your opinion unless you can back it up with evidence. The way I see it, why would an emotionally mature person tend to seek partners more financially powerful than her?
Original post by obidobi
The question was about the politically incorrectpart of my OP that a mod deleted, basically how women have many more opportunities (and social acceptance) to leech off men or the state while men have to create their own success in order to be seen as ''worthy''.

Ah ok...
Well having a child gets you a free house if not able to afford (likely to be during youth); whilst there is a preference for older men for women and younger women for men, resulting in reduced 'staying at home' in early life for women. Women are also more likely to do further study - and so be away from home.
I'm not sure there is a social conceptualisation which makes men to be treated in a way that they are not provided for.
In most instances it is unfair to use the term of leaching - though I feel it is sometimes the case.
Reply 70
Original post by Juichiro
That is just your opinion unless you can back it up with evidence. The way I see it, why would an emotionally mature person tend to seek partners more financially powerful than her?

this is what I was just about to bring up to Miser.

But I am not a raging misogynist, so I will say, some women are simply seeking a partner of similar emotional stability with a sense of responsibility and financially stable too. This can be understood and respected, especially if growing up knowing only the aforementioned man-children (although my original response which is getting repped was a trap for those with princess complex :tongue:)

Some women however simply enjoy the privileges of traditional breadwinner roles while basking in the rights of third wave feminism-having their cake and eating it. This I find unjust, and indeed emotionally immature-and if not then, manipulative.
Original post by TeaAndSugar
There is a huge problem with public opinion on men and mental health, but you can hardly say that women don't care about suicide. It's not an issue exclusive to one gender; the rates of attempted suicides is actually very similar, but successful suicides are higher in men because they tend to use more violent methods.

Likewise, plenty of men get raped; it's another horrible public opinion that needs to change.

I actually think there is a world of difference between attempted and actual. Attempted is a cry for help so they don't want to die, actual is where they want to die.

Men actually want to die. Considering your fight for survival will be your strongest instinct it shows how desperate and miserable they truly are.
Reply 72
Original post by miser
Why do you think it is wrong to prefer relationships with older men? Or have I misunderstood?

[whaaat multi-quote function returned? :s-smilie: :tongue:]

It's not wrong, but the reasons for the preference may be a vested interest which signify emotional immaturity. See what I replied to Juichiro :smile:
Original post by lilacwanda28
I know three guys aged 25-30, and they're all still living at home.
I know one girl, 26, who's got her own flat and business....
maybe it's social conditioning, that women feel like they need to leave home and start their own household....personally disagree. I don't know what could be worse than being a housewife....

So you know 4 people in total?
Reply 74
I'm 23 and I can't get a job, so there's literally no chance of me moving out any time soon, despite how much I'd like to. It probably wouldn't be wise to leave home straight away anyway; it'd be better to save up for a mortgage whilst living at home on the cheap rather than spend all my money on rent.
Original post by obidobi
You don't need their handouts, you're an adult!

Is that a lonely island reference? If so, that's genius :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plasmaman
If I stop drinking tap water and using shampoo my testosterone levels will increase? Seriously though, would they, even if only by a few tents of a per cent?

It is to do with BPA...not totally proven. But infertile men have been known to have very high levels in their system. I think as well countries like Canada have tried to cut it down. More capitalistic countries obviously ignore...do your research and decide.

For me I just don't drink water out of bottles and use glasses or a metal water bottle.

You will never eliminate BPA contact, you can just reduce it...personally I still use regular shampoo and toothpaste etc.

If you want to raise testosterone...lift weights, eat more fats, become leaner....drink less alcohol. Those will have huge effects.
Reply 77
Original post by Riku
this is what I was just about to bring up to Miser.

But I am not a raging misogynist, so I will say, some women are simply seeking a partner of similar emotional stability with a sense of responsibility and financially stable too. This can be understood and respected, especially if growing up knowing only the aforementioned man-children (although my original response which is getting repped was a trap for those with princess complex :tongue:)

Some women however simply enjoy the privileges of traditional breadwinner roles while basking in the rights of third wave feminism-having their cake and eating it. This I find unjust, and indeed emotionally immature-and if not then, manipulative.

I don't think it's as complicated as this. I think people are just attracted to whomever they are attracted to, and for women it tends to be that they are attracted to social status, which is conferred by financial power.
Original post by Riku
it's because young men these days are little lazy selfish whiney ****ty man-children with no ambition and no sense of responsibility who no decent strong, independent woman will touch with a barge pole

reps incoming, a number of young women of TSR have an entitlement complex and hypocritical attitudes, case closed

The Feminazis were very quick to get in on this thread.

Yes there are some who I join you in criticising, but it's also about young women these days are little lazy selfish whiney ****ty women-girls, with no ambition and no sense of responsibility who *know that successful men their own age won't touch them with a barge pole...thus, they move in with men 7+ years older than them and reap the rewards of their big salaries.
That's because women are infinately superior to a point where I believe we should live in a Wicker Man (Nick Cage version) style society. Be used solely for your upper body strength or GTFO gents. That is all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending