The Student Room Group

Feeling pretty distraught over leaving parents (Un

I know everyone will get homesick but I just keep crying at the thought of moving away from them on Saturday. I'm an only child and I've never been away from them for more than a few days at a festival. I'm really close with them too, especially my mum - we do a lot together.

It doesn't help that I'm not feeling excited about Uni anymore. I was excited about the prospect of it before I got my results/got in but now that it's actually happening I'm questioning the whole thing.
Yeah it sucks, just try not to call home all the time, it makes it worse.
This is absolutely a terrifying time for you and it's completely okay to feel how you are feeling.

How far are you going from your parents? Even though you are physically apart, you do not have to completely cut your relationship with your parents. Arrange skype times, phone calls, send them letters and postcards (and ask them to send you the occasional care package of goodies from home) and take things with you that remind you of them. You are not alone at all.

So many students are going to feel exactly how you do and most will struggle until they find their feet. Your uni will be completely expecting these feelings so make sure you make use of the support available.

There's going to be a point in your where you'll need to move out of your parents, and this is a good time to start adjusting to that. It feels like a huge thing but it's not permanent. You'll get to go back at the end of the semester and see them again and it does definitely get easier as time passes.
yolo
Just get there and goat crazy. Goat it up. Live like a majestic goat.

Goat hard or goat home.

Don't actually go home though. That would ruin the point I'm trying to make here.
(edited 9 years ago)
As Paradoxsocks says, you won't be alone in feeling this way. You are likely to find a number of people in your hall who feel just the same - find them, and support each other through it. Hopefully you'll make some good friends in the process.

Keep yourself busy, whether through the events that will be out on for you, lectures and study, clubs & socs, or just being with burgeoning new friends. Don't lock yourself away and dwell on it, or you will work yourself into a state.

Finally the hardest advice ... you are most likely to get through this and settle in, if you make a promise to yourself that for this first term you won't go home before Christmas. Or if you do, make it one weekend only and as far from the start of term as possible. It is really emotionally disruptive to go home, so I know it will be hard but do try. All the ideas above re Skype, letters, postcards and care packages are lovely ones.
if you want you can take things that remind you of them. Personally Im taking my dad cup and one of my mum`s traditional cloth. Or things from home that you like. Just to make your room more homely and less different.
Reply 7
Before I went to uni I was terrified, I didn't look forward to it in the slightest I just knew I had to go because I want to teach. I cried so much because I didn't want to leave my mum ( my dad died a few years back so I'm very very close to her especially) and my two younger sisters who I tell everything to. I even cried on the first day there, only briefly stopping to have my uni card photo taken!

But honestly I stopped crying as soon as I met the other people at uni. Yes I was a little bit worried but everyone there is super friendly and there's so many different people it's almost impossible not to find one like you.

I honest honestly cannot stress this enough there is no need to worry. However, I say this knowing that you're going to worry anyway ( because I would have done so last year). Uni will be so much fun and yes it will have it's ups and downs but it's so worth it. Please try not to let it get to you because you waste time feeling crap when you could be making the most of the time you have with your family before uni.

I was so worried about missing my mum but in all honesty as soon as I was distracted I barely missed her at all! Good luck, you're going to have a great time at uni. :smile:
Original post by Rubysmith
if you want you can take things that remind you of them. Personally Im taking my dad cup and one of my mum`s traditional cloth. Or things from home that you like. Just to make your room more homely and less different.

I like this idea. You'd be surprised how many people pack Teddy too.

Hang a notice board on your door with your name, use a door stop to prop the door open, take cake or Quality Street to give to passers by in your hall ... all good meeting-people ideas.
you can't live with your parents forever, I miss my mum terribly after visiting her but after living away for years I've accepted that I have to 'fly the nest' at some time
The alternative (never leaving, never taking on a daunting challenge) is surely worse. If you never do anything that takes you out of your comfort zone your life will stagnate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending