The Student Room Group

Was I a dick?

My house has 3 parking spots on the drive, and plenty of parking in the road. 4 of us in the house have cars.

I got home last night and all 3 driveway spots were taken, so I parked in the road. I don't like this as my car is less safe on the road than the drive.

During the evening 2 of my housemates went out in their cars, so I moved mine from the street to the drive. They came back and one of them was forced to park in the street.

Was I a dick for moving my car onto the drive?

Scroll to see replies

Fine in my book.
Reply 2
First come first served. None of you own any of those spaces so I don't see a problem.
If you move it, you lose it. I don't think you were a dick.
Why should you be forced to park on the street when you can park on the drive?
Reply 5
Original post by FuelBowser
My house has 3 parking spots on the drive, and plenty of parking in the road. 4 of us in the house have cars.

I got home last night and all 3 driveway spots were taken, so I parked in the road. I don't like this as my car is less safe on the road than the drive.

During the evening 2 of my housemates went out in their cars, so I moved mine from the street to the drive. They came back and one of them was forced to park in the street.

Personally i just think you are too nice and think of others before yourself, as some would complain that they would like the driveway as their car is at risk, and cause a bigger problem.
No problem with what you did. The entire house owns the parking spots, not 3 of the people living in it.
Reply 7
Nope
Reply 8
Nope
As above, nope.
Nah

Personally I would have left my car on the street, and only parked in the drive if I was going somewhere and there was space when I came back. Not go out just to move it.

If you were worried about your car though it's fine. I hope you don't claim it's always parked in a drive on your insurance when you can't guarantee that though. Otherwise they could refuse to pay out.
Original post by FuelBowser

Course not. :h: Seems a lil passive aggressive, but they did it to you =| Let's just hope you guys are more generous with the shower and milk :s-smilie:
No, unless they returned after 5 minutes and you had moved it by then but what's to say if you needed to go somewhere?
Reply 13
Why would that make you a dick? Were your flatmates dicks for taking up the places in the first place?
Reply 14
probably... :colone: nah just jk... :tongue: you were fine :biggrin:
No, my friend. You are human. You can never be a dick, even if you wished for it to happen. And this is the reason why you need to understand that us human beings (apart from making babies) make mistakes. So, let it go... let it go...
Finders keepers justifies your actions. :colone:

We have the same issue in my house. The person who leaves first next morning usually parks outside.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even notice.
Reply 18
no, they moved and they probably assumed you went out and got back before them or something... not a problem in my opinion :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Nah

Personally I would have left my car on the street, and only parked in the drive if I was going somewhere and there was space when I came back. Not go out just to move it.

If you were worried about your car though it's fine. I hope you don't claim it's always parked in a drive on your insurance when you can't guarantee that though. Otherwise they could refuse to pay out.

My car is insured as "parked on the street", but 6 nights out of 7 it is on the drive.
Original post by RiOt GrrrL
Course not. :h: Seems a lil passive aggressive, but they did it to you =| Let's just hope you guys are more generous with the shower and milk :s-smilie:

Yeah passive aggressive is the word I guess.

Thanks for the support everyone. Putting myself in my housemates shoes I would consider someone to be petty if they waited till I'd gone out before moving their car from the street to the drive.

Quick Reply

Latest