The Student Room Group

UCL Medical School 2015 Entry

Made a thread for those interested in studying medicine at UCL. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Is it true that if you don't have an A* prediction in Biology or Chemistry, you'll be automatically rejected? I've only got one in maths :/
Reply 2
Original post by Rassssclart
Is it true that if you don't have an A* prediction in Biology or Chemistry, you'll be automatically rejected? I've only got one in maths :/

What are your grades for AS? Maybe you can ask your chemistry/biology teacher to bump up the prediction to an A*.

From the looks of things, I would think that UCL would reject you if you don't have A* prediction in those subjects.
Original post by ChocoCoco
What are your grades for AS? Maybe you can ask your chemistry/biology teacher to bump up the prediction to an A*.

From the looks of things, I would think that UCL would reject you if you don't have A* prediction in those subjects.

262 bio, 267 chem. But it's hopeless getting the predictions so I don't think I'll apply
Reply 4
262 bio, 267 chem. But it's hopeless getting the predictions so I don't think I'll apply

Those are both A grade material at AS right? I'm sure you can get an A*. Are your teachers strict about the predictions?
Those are both A grade material at AS right? I'm sure you can get an A*. Are your teachers strict about the predictions?

Yeah they're really strict, I think the cutoff for A* in biology is 270 and for chemistry it's 275 :frown: I'll ask them some more but I doubt I'll get the predictions
Reply 6
Yeah they're really strict, I think the cutoff for A* in biology is 270 and for chemistry it's 275 :frown: I'll ask them some more but I doubt I'll get the predictions

Oh, what a shame. Good luck with your medicine application, I hope you get an offer for medicine. :smile:

What are your other choices?
Oh, what a shame. Good luck with your medicine application, I hope you get an offer for medicine. :smile:

What are your other choices?

Thanks you too, and Imperial Birmingham Edinburgh and Bristol, wbu?
Reply 8
Thanks you too, and Imperial Birmingham Edinburgh and Bristol, wbu?

Bristol, Lancaster and Liverpool (I screwed up on my UKCAT :colondollar:)
Reply 9
Do you think most people applying to UCL have more than A* prediction? Because I think I can only get 1 at a maximum... if that :frown: The fact that they like contrasting subjects suits me because I did French for AS but I guess there isn't much point applying if my grades aren't enough haha
Original post by TheProblematique
Why don't you ring them up and ask? They say that a high score is in AS is advantageous but that doesn't mean that they'll automatically reject you as you might have other qualities that put you above other candidates. I'd say it would be risky if you'd got B's but since you haven't, I think it's worth calling them up and asking for their view.

Some guys in my school with the same situation have called & emailed UCL, and they said you'd be automatically rejected so I don't know :/

Ah what'd you get? I got 695 but I don't know if that's high enough for Edinburgh (but the average was lower this year right)
Well if you definitely know that you'd be rejected for not having A* predictions then I guess its not worth applying then. You could work on getting the predicted grades higher but that's all I'm afraid. There are plenty of great medical school though so don't worry!

Yeah I guess, oh well, thanks anyway man

So did I, so am gonna try the BMAT
Do you know where you want to apply to instead of UCL?

Yep Imperial or Birms
Yep Imperial or Birms

Ah okay, well both seem like excellent unis so don't worry :smile:
Ah okay, well both seem like excellent unis so don't worry :smile:

Yeah they do, where are you applying?
i know listing stats are annoying but:

What are the chances of someone applying with A*A*A (A2 already achieved) and 1 A* at gcse? let's say bmat is 5+ for each section.
(edited 9 years ago)
Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff and UCL :smile:

Good choices :smile:
Original post by kazyami24
i know listing stats are annoying but:

What are the chances of someone applying with A*A*A (A2 already achieved) and 1 A* at gcse? let's say bmat is 5+ for each section.

How many A's? I'd say ring up UCL and ask them whether it disadvantages your application and if so by how much. On their selection procedure they've just said that GCSEs give an indication of candidate's background and AS grades are more important. But they do like to have well rounded applicants with strengths in subjects other than just sciences. So i'm not sure what they'd think.

Quick Reply