The Student Room Group

Unique hobby

Hello community!

Some people are artistic, others like to construct stuff, but what about FIRE?

Do you believe that people can be creative using fire?

Well, I have a strange hobby which is pyrotechnics. I'd like to share it with you.

When I was a child I was interested in chemistry and physics... My dad showed me how to light a fire without using matches but chemicals, so it began. At first, I built 'bombs' using matches, later on I discovered some chemicals, called oxidizers and I began my hobby that is present right now.

I really enjoy watching fireworks. The thing is, it takes almost 3 - 4 days to make a single firework shell from scratch and it goes off in few seconds. I can say it's worth the effort :biggrin:

This is my latest attempt to build a 1 inch (2.5cm diameter) shell.
Have you ever considered taking lessons in fire performance? I saw a group of people perform with fire the other day and it was amazing! They did fire-breathing, fire dancing and lots of gymnastics whilst spinning fire around... might be up your street!
Reply 2
Well, to be fair I have tried some fire dancing too. I usually do pyrotechnic grade dancing. A stick with flares on both sides, smoke bombs and all kind of stuff. It's pretty neat and I do enjoy it!
Thank you :smile:
Original post by wmx11
Well, to be fair I have tried some fire dancing too. I usually do pyrotechnic grade dancing. A stick with flares on both sides, smoke bombs and all kind of stuff. It's pretty neat and I do enjoy it!
Thank you :smile:

Whereabouts are you based? I'm a filmmaker, and have found myself needing pyrotechnics for a shoot before, but have had trouble finding people!

Although I don't have any specific projects currently, I'd love to add you to my contacts list as a pyro guy (or girl) if you're interested.
Reply 4
Too bad I am not from your town. I would be glad to embellish my pyro skills and do something for your films. :smile:
Reply 5
It's not burning down someone's property. All the 'burning' happens high in the air or somewhere on a concrete. I've never had any blames about my hobby from the neighbors or state police :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest