The Student Room Group

these are the topics i enjoyed , what uni course do they link to

Hi

i made a list of the following topics i enjoyed in my A levels and was wondering if someone could help me link them to a degree course .

Chemistry :

Organic chemistry ( mechanisms and different families)

energy and equilibrium

Analysis

physical chemistry

Physics :

mechanics

some parts of fields

particle physics

Astrophysics

nuclear decay

Maths :

Calculus

trigonometry

coordinate geometry

Thank you for your help

:smile::smile::smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check out chemical engineering. Theory wise it consists mainly of maths (loads of calculus), physical chemistry (rates, energy, equilibrium, thermodynamics) and mechanics (conservation of energy, mass and momentum, fluid mechanics). You will apply these concepts to design such things as chemical plants, artificial kidneys, nuclear power stations and chemical products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ponoyo
Check out chemical engineering. Theory wise it consists mainly of maths (loads of calculus), physical chemistry (rates, energy, equilibrium, thermodynamics) and mechanics (conservation of energy, mass and momentum, fluid mechanics). You will apply these concepts to design such things as chemical plants, artificial kidneys, nuclear power stations and chemical products.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm its funny you said that, because along with mechanical eng and physics chem eng was one of my options. hmm thats interesting and hmm i thought chem eng was more process design . Thanks for your comment :smile:
Quantum mechanics?
Nuclear physics?
Chemical engineering, too as above ^^
Reply 4
Original post by inachigeek21
Quantum mechanics?
Nuclear physics?
Chemical engineering, too as above ^^

to be a QM or a NP would that not require a degree in physics ? i know i have a deep interest for physics . hmm, thanks for your comment helps alot
Chem Eng was my first thought too. Pharmacology maybe, there's maths and physics in maximising your product yield/finding alternative reaction pathways, and it's based on chem
Original post by Ponoyo

I've covered all these things in mech eng, so I'd say it's definitely worth considering :u:

Original post by hasan6091
i thought chem eng was more process design

Having looked at Manchester's course details, I am inclined to think the same
Reply 7
Original post by + polarity -
I've covered all these things in mech eng, so I'd say it's definitely worth considering :u:

Having looked at Manchester's course details, I am inclined to think the same

yeh i looked at Manchester's courses and there is a lot of design modules in their degree. and really ? thats pretty interesting and i did hear that mechanical engineers can work in the chemical engineering industry, is that true ? and i also heard that physicists could work in any engineering industry. Thanks for the comment :smile:
i did hear that mechanical engineers can work in the chemical engineering industry, is that true?

I think so, mechanicals can do anything :biggrin:

and i also heard that physicists could work in any engineering industry. Thanks for the comment :smile:

I don't know tbh, but at an educated guess I would say that a physicist would probably be able to do work involve modelling (or processes, components etc.) which is necessary in pretty much every engineering sector, but maybe not designing things :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by + polarity -
I think so, mechanicals can do anything :biggrin:

I don't know tbh, but at an educated guess I would say that a physicist would probably be able to do work involve modelling (or processes, components etc.) which is necessary in pretty much every engineering sector, but maybe not designing things :dontknow:

interesting , so what do you study in your first year and can you like expand abit please on the topic areas thanks :smile:
You design processes with thermodynamics, fluid mechanics etc. When chemical engineers are talking about designing things like chemical plants, nuclear power stations etc. they're talking about designing the process involved in the facility.
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
You design processes with thermodynamics, fluid mechanics etc. When chemical engineers are talking about designing things like chemical plants, nuclear power stations etc. they're talking about designing the process involved in the facility.

please expand ? and so what type of person is a chemical engineer
Reply 12
I will try to explain the differences between chemical and mechanical engineering in terms of topics studied.
There is quite a lot of overlap as has been mentioned, with maths, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, conservation equations and materials appearing in both. On top of these modules, chemical engineers study chemistry (organic, inorganic and physical) to a reasonable level (obv not to level of chemistry students) and go deeper into thermodynamics than mechanical engineering students do. Mechanical engineers study topics in dynamics, statics and have a greater focus on machine design, as opposed to process design in chemical engineering. So in conclusion, based on the topics studies alone (you should also consider the projects involved in each course and career paths), go with mechanical if you want to learn more about mechanics and machine design, or chemical if you want to learn more about chemistry (especially physical chemistry) and process design.
Reply 13
Original post by Ponoyo
I will try to explain the differences between chemical and mechanical engineering in terms of topics studied.
There is quite a lot of overlap as has been mentioned, with maths, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, conservation equations and materials appearing in both. On top of these modules, chemical engineers study chemistry (organic, inorganic and physical) to a reasonable level (obv not to level of chemistry students) and go deeper into thermodynamics than mechanical engineering students do. Mechanical engineers study topics in dynamics, statics and have a greater focus on machine design, as opposed to process design in chemical engineering. So in conclusion, based on the topics studies alone (you should also consider the projects involved in each course and career paths), go with mechanical if you want to learn more about mechanics and machine design, or chemical if you want to learn more about chemistry (especially physical chemistry) and process design.

okay so i know it may sound stupid, but what is mechanics and machine design and what is process design ? by the way thanks for your help
Reply 14
Mechanics is similar to what you have done in m1, m2 etc. in maths a level. You will go into more advanced statics and dynamics and study subjects like variable mass dynamics. Machine design involves studying such components as gears, cogs, levers etc. and you will design these components using the mechanics you've learnt. Process design is less about designing components, but more about deciding what flow rates, pressures, temperatures, volumes etc. you want to have in a given reactor vessel in order to maximise the product yield/minimise cost. You will use all the thermodynamics, fluids and kinetics you've learnt to design this. I am speaking from the point of view of a chemical engineering student who has only studied a small amount of mechanical engineering so a mechanical engineer here should be able to give more insight into what is involved.
(edited 9 years ago)
please expand ? and so what type of person is a chemical engineer

Ponoyo has covered it very well.

I'm in oil & gas. Chemical engineers (actually called process engineers) calculate the required flow rates, pressures and temperatures of the fluid to ensure it flows optimally and separates properly in the separator vessels. Mechanical engineers design the pipework and other pressure vessels (e.g. the separator tanks) so that they're not overly stressed, can contain the pressure i.e. won't rupture. They also design and select the appropriate mechanical equipment too, e.g. the correct pumps to achieve the required flow rate, the correct valves for safely controlling the flow, etc.
Reply 16
thanks :smile: so tell me what sort of practical work do you get involved in during a chem eng degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
so lets take a plane for example, i would like to design the complex engine and ekectronic systems. i would like to make sure the fuel flows in to the engine and reacts propperly and efficently , make sure the engine does not get to hot or cold . mech eng or chem ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
You will do experiments similar to what you have done in chemistry a level where you will determine the order of a reaction by measuring concentration over time. Also you will do fluid experiments where you will collect data on eg, fluid velocities in a pipe. You won't ever be physically making eg a reactor vessel but u will learn how to draw the different components like heat exchangers and reactors, using Computer Aided Design.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Chemical engineers generally aren't involved in the design of aircraft but I will try to answer.
What you're describing sounds like the work of a control system engineer who designs controls using sensors to monitor the performace of a system. In chemical engineering you learn about process control which involves using sensors to eg alter the amount a valve is open or the temperature of a fluid in an heat exchanger, so the flow rate, temperature etc. are always kept at the designed values. I think control systems are also included in a mechanical engineering degree, but obviously on different devices such as aircraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending