The Student Room Group

Best Animation Degrees

I know Bournemouth Is the best in the Country for animation, but its all computer based, and my dream would be to animate for a cartoon channel like Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon etc. Which would be the best place to study if you wanted to go into that kind of animation?
Reply 1
All the animation on Cartoon Network / Nickelodeon is computer based :smile: Do you mean you only want to animate on paper/cel with a lightbox, or do you mean you want to work on 2D cartoons on a computer? I'm assuming that you'll pick 2D drawing on computer because it's very rare to animate by hand on paper these days (we still have some lightboxes, but a couple of days experience with them makes most students run back to the safety of the magic undo button ! ). For 2D digital animation, in my opinion, I would recommend Arts University Bournemouth (not the NCCA Bournemouth), Duncan's of Jordanstone in Scotland, University of South Wales and of course the University of Hertfordshire :smile:

Here's the list of the Skillset approved courses
[URL="http://courses.creativeskillset.org/courses/results/?course[subject]=Course+subject&course[type]=&course[sectors][]=1&course[location]=Enter+Location&course[institution]=&search=&course[search]=degree"]http://courses.creativeskillset.org/courses/results/?course[subject]=Course+subject&course[type]=&course[sectors][]=1&course[location]=Enter+Location&course[institution]=&search=&course[search]=degree
Original post by moid
All the animation on Cartoon Network / Nickelodeon is computer based :smile: Do you mean you only want to animate on paper/cel with a lightbox, or do you mean you want to work on 2D cartoons on a computer? I'm assuming that you'll pick 2D drawing on computer because it's very rare to animate by hand on paper these days (we still have some lightboxes, but a couple of days experience with them makes most students run back to the safety of the magic undo button ! ). For 2D digital animation, in my opinion, I would recommend Arts University Bournemouth (not the NCCA Bournemouth), Duncan's of Jordanstone in Scotland, University of South Wales and of course the University of Hertfordshire :smile:

Here's the list of the Skillset approved courses
http://courses.creativeskillset.org/courses/results/?course[subject]=Course+subject&course[type]=&course[sectors][]=1&course[location]=Enter+Location&course[institution]=&search=&course[search]=degree

Thanks for that! sorry I worded it wrong, I meant like 3 dimensional not computer based XD. I would like to work on 2D cartoons on the computer.
I was already thinking about applying to Art University Bournemouth and Hertfordshire, and I'm going to try and go on open days soon! May I ask where did/do you go? Also what exactly is creative skillset? I've heard a bit about it but don't know much
Reply 3
Well I studied Fine Art, but that was a very long time ago :smile: I'm one of the lecturers on the Digital Animation Programme at Hertfordshire. Creative Skillset is the government's skills organisation to monitor and assist and promote the Creative Industries in the UK. It promotes the best degree courses, assists the industry with legislation and training and represents the industry at a national level.
i am confused that which country and the university is best to study vfx,game design and animation. my dream is to do job in gameloft and other top gaming studios.
Original post by hemant gurjar
i am confused that which country and the university is best to study vfx,game design and animation. my dream is to do job in gameloft and other top gaming studios.

Why don’t you ring up gameloft and ask where they recommend?
ok I will call them and ask
Original post by hemant gurjar

Hi, Hemant gurjar,

I thought you might like to hear about Ravensbourne and our Animation course. Ravensbourne offers live briefs throughout the course, which allow students to gain experience whilst collaborating with clients like the BBC. If you would like to visit us we have opening days you could attend, here you would get more information about the course by talking to the tutors and students.

hope this was helpful and good luck with everything.

Katy :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest